PDA

View Full Version : Yikes - who got flashed by the speed camera?

aliferste
19-11-2008, 08:15
Driving to pick up my wife from work - I cruised passed a speed camera - as soon as I got onto the white lines in the road - two flashes - looked at my speed and it was just nudging past the 30 mark - 31/32 tops. At the end of the white lines was a taxi, not sure how fast it was going.

It was a Gatso Speed Camera - any idea who it was that got flashed - me or the taxi?

Kymmy
19-11-2008, 08:35
If it was a 30 zone then it wouldn't have been you. I think that most speed camera's in 30 zones are set to 40 with most set to 50.

Only solid way of telling is if you get a NIP through the post within 14 days

Russ
19-11-2008, 08:38
Would have been the taxi - the gatso measures from you entering the white lines to you leaving then - a copper told me that once although I'm sure Derek will be able to confirm that for you.

Kymmy
19-11-2008, 08:44
The white lines are just for a secondary speed confirmation (the camera takes two pictures and they use the white lines set a certain distance apart to measure distance travelled over time and hence get an accurate speed) mainly as the radar units within the system are not known for their 100% accuracy so it's handy to have a backup for prosecution purposes...

But yes if what you say is true I'd agree that it was the taxi

Charlie_Bubble
19-11-2008, 09:36
Normally cameras are set to 10% + 3 or 4mph, so in a 30, that would be about 36-37mph. As already said by Kymmy, the radar measures your speed and takes 2 pictures a set time apart so that they can measure you visually against the white lines in case the accuracy of the radar is questioned. If you were going just above 30, I'd say it was probably the taxi accelerating a bit too early when he thought he was out of the camera zone.

Derek
19-11-2008, 11:11
From what you've said I'd imagine it was the taxi that triggered the camera.

bmxbandit
19-11-2008, 11:25
Seems unlikely it was you - in part also because many cars overestimate their speed slightly, but how much varies with speed. For instance, when my dial reads 30mph, radar and differential GPS reckon I'm actually about 27-28mph.

Kymmy
19-11-2008, 11:33
Seems unlikely it was you - in part also because many cars overestimate their speed slightly, but how much varies with speed. For instance, when my dial reads 30mph, radar and differential GPS reckon I'm actually about 27-28mph.

:tu: I can confirm that my speedo over-reads by about 10%. In fact I think it's illegal for a manufacturer to do a speedo to under-read???

Graham M
19-11-2008, 11:38
Most small cars will over-read by about 10% and it also depends on how well your tyres are pumped up apparently, but larger vehicles AND newer vehicles are generally more accurate

Gary L
19-11-2008, 11:41
I was out yesterday driving along a stretch of road where the speeds change constantly.
on the 60 the car infront dropped to about 55. as soon as he hit the 40 sign he dropped right down to 30. 30 sign and we were doing 25. that's when I had enough and went around him.
when you consider that your speedo is out by around 3-4 miles, we were actually doing 60/51 - 40/26 - 30/21.

You can safely bet he's never had a speeding ticket in his life.

Graham M
19-11-2008, 11:42
I was out yesterday driving along a stretch of road where the speeds change constantly.
on the 60 the car infront dropped to about 55. as soon as he hit the 40 sign he dropped right down to 30. 30 sign and we were doing 25. that's when I had enough and went around him.
when you consider that your speedo is out by around 3-4 miles, we were actually doing 60/51 - 40/26 - 30/21. Yep that irritates me too but sometimes when I'm in the same position it's better to be safe than sorry!

And that's a bad thing is it?

Derek
19-11-2008, 11:43

Either that or he's on nine points...

bopdude
19-11-2008, 11:43
:tu: I can confirm that my speedo over-reads by about 10%. In fact I think it's illegal for a manufacturer to do a speedo to under-read???

I said more or less the same thing years ago :D

CF link (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/20/33602608-speed-cameras-another-legality-challenge-page-2.html#post34143950)

Gary L
19-11-2008, 11:52
Yep that irritates me too but sometimes when I'm in the same position it's better to be safe than sorry!

Safe than sorry?

And that's a bad thing is it?

Why would I think that? I'm just going along with the topic of thread, and saying that at those speeds he'll never get a ticket.
another thing I notice happen is the car in the right hand lane going through the speed cams always slows down enough for me to overtake him or her in the left without either of us getting flashed.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Either that or he's on nine points...

I'm not a perfect driver and occasionaly do speed, but the last 6 points I had expired about five years ago. so if I can do it so can he :)

Graham M
19-11-2008, 11:52
Safe than sorry?

IE less speed = safer in most situations

Why would I think that? I'm just going along with the topic of thread, and saying that at those speeds he'll never get a ticket.
another thing I notice happen is the car in the right hand lane going through the speed cams always slows down enough for me to overtake him or her enough for me to pass them in the left without either of us getting flashed.
Sorry I think I misinterpreted what you said

altis
19-11-2008, 11:53
Gatso guts:
http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/dcsc/enfotech/gatso.htm

Speedo tolerance:
European Union member states must also grant type approval to vehicles meeting similar EU standards. The ones covering speedometers [5] [6][7] are similar to the UNECE regulation in that they specify that:

* The indicated speed must never be less than the actual speed, i.e. it should not be possible to inadvertently speed because of an incorrect speedometer reading.
* The indicated speed must not be more than 110 percent of the true speed plus 4 km/h at specified test speeds. For example, at 80 km/h, the indicated speed must be no more than 92 km/h.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer
http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_Home/Rules_useage/The_Law.htm

Derek
19-11-2008, 11:54
I'm not a perfect driver and occasionaly do speed, but the last 6 points I had expired about five years ago. so if I can do it so can he :)

Yes but if you are one slip away from becoming very friendly with the local taxi drivers for 6 months you tend to drive a little bit more cautiously than usual.

Well some people do, others just try every excuse in the book to get away with it. It's amazing how many people aren't on their phone when it's held up to their ear going round a corner :rolleyes:

Gary L
19-11-2008, 12:04
IE less speed = safer in most situations

Until we all start doing it. then it will become unsafe and an offence :)

whydoIneedatech
19-11-2008, 12:05
Until we all start doing it. then it will become an offence :)
Going to slow is an offence ask Derek S.

Wicked_and_Crazy
19-11-2008, 12:42
Most small cars will over-read by about 10% and it also depends on how well your tyres are pumped up apparently, but larger vehicles AND newer vehicles are generally more accurate

Depends on what type of gearbox you have. If you have an automatic the speedo will "generally" be about spot on. If you have a manual it will over state your speed

aliferste
19-11-2008, 18:31
Thanks for responding people - I really appreciate it :-)

Tech_Boy
19-11-2008, 18:55

And neither have I:angel:

The speedo on my car reads 5 miles per hour slow right across the range.;)

JadeFalcon
19-11-2008, 19:53
also if you have changed your tyre/wheel spec since the factory your speedo will be out aswell