PDA

View Full Version : Whats with speed restrictions?!!

BetterComdoms
19-11-2008, 00:09
Can someone please tell me the rules Virgin is using to enforce its speed restrictions? ...I think I remember it being 300mb downloaded for the 2mb broadband service before they reduce the speed by half...but is that right and what times do they do it from and until, because my line speeds still halved after 12am sometimes, including last night!:td:

moaningmags
19-11-2008, 00:25
The following should make it clearer,taken from
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

BetterComdoms
19-11-2008, 00:41
So its not between 4pm and 9pm, its five hours if you go over between those times! And they still charge as much and haven't upgraded the 2mb service in years!!

Graham M
19-11-2008, 07:33
And they still charge as much and haven't upgraded the 2mb service in years!!

Umm hang on, I think you'll find it was upgraded from 1meg about a year ago

BetterComdoms
19-11-2008, 11:22
More like three. And they have upgraded both the other packs since then.

I'd be fine with 2mb if they didn't cut the line speed after watching half hour of video or an hour of music. They claim it only effects 5% of their customers, the "greedy ones".

General Maximus
19-11-2008, 12:19
i am in no way advocating their actions but although 2mb is fast enough compared to the old days when i tried to do everything on 1mbit because that was the fastest that was available, i think they assume that if you wanted to do anything apart from browse and send emails you would have a connection more suitable for your needs. A couple of years ago i was delighted when they upgraded everyone from 512k to 1mbit and I thought great, it will now take me 2 hours to download ****** every week rather than 4 hours. That doesnt mean to say that that is acceptable now. With my 20mbit connection can do it in just over 3 mins and if all goes well, my 50mbit connection with do it in just over 1 min. I guess what I am trying to say is that they don't think it is probably as big of an issue as you think it is because your connection shouldn't be used for large file downloads as they assume if you was into that sort of thing, you would want a faster connection.

BetterComdoms
19-11-2008, 15:22
Well personally I can't imagine what I would need 20mb or 10mb for... I often can't get the full 2mb from the servers I downloading from, and I don't have any problems watching streaming video on the full 2mb, not yet anyway. You should get a speed tester and have a look, you'll be supprsied at how often the servers your downlaoding from aren't supplying the data up to the speed of your connection.

I think the only time I could use a faster connection is if I was downloading games, which are really the only files large enough to take into hours to download....

I do see what your saying though about them considering it a slow connection, but at the same time it would be more than adequate if they hadn't of started cutting the speeds and bringing out super fast connections.

General Maximus
19-11-2008, 15:51
you would be surprised dude, download different stuff from torrents and newsgroups and i have no problems pulling 2mb/sec from the sites i use. The speed is there if you want it :)