PDA

View Full Version : 10MB only going about 0.5 or 1.0MB-Modem log included-Was ok now bad

colmm
18-11-2008, 23:02
;)FIRST - like to say THANKS to Chris and Matt who helped me sort my account out.... TOP GUYS,...;)

Been having problems with my 10MB only going about 0.5 or 1.0MB.

Upto two weeks ago was going ok, solid 10MB - dont P2P just xbox 360.
But then slowed
Was reading in here that UMR was upgraded, so waited.
-LINK-http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33641390-belfast-stm-update.html

But still SLOW gaming speeds, and when test on downloading from Virgin only ever 0.5 to 1 Mb, tested this at differnet times also Evening and late at night.

I also check the LED on modem and no active connections when not using it.
ALso tried plugging directly into modem.
No virus or malware.
I am using the TCP IP optimisor set for 10mb

I have attached my logs, hoping that someone can tell me if they are ok.
In the BT (N.Ireland area)
Area is all familys, no students.
Modem 255 (black one)
An (old) NTL customer.
Of what I understand, I think they are high (bad)

Thanks for your help.

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

Cable Modem Status
Acquire a Downstream Channel 403000000 Hz Locked
-----
Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Channel Id : 5
Downstream Frequency : 403000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level: -7.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.4 dB
-----------------------
Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 60.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2
------------
Cable Modem Upstream Burst
Modulation Type QPSK QPSK QPSK 16QAM 16QAM
Differential Encoding Off Off Off Off Off
Preamble Length 64 128 128 200 216
Preamble Value Offset 244 6 6 504 504
FEC Error Correction (T) 0 5 5 5 9
FEC Codeword Information Bytes 16 34 34 78 232
Scrambler Seed 338 338 338 338 338
Maximum Burst Size 0 0 0 19 139
Guard Time Size 8 48 48 17 77
Last Codeword Length Fixed Fixed Fixed Short Short
Scrambler on/off On On On On On
----------------
Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst: 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

moaningmags
18-11-2008, 23:08
"Upstream transmit Power Level : 60.5 dBmV"

This requires a visit from a tech as it's too high.
This can cause slow speeds.

colmm
19-11-2008, 01:00
Thank will call tomorrow and update link, had looked on the level on topic locked high to me, but wanted EXPERIANCE of you guys... TOP, +REP

---------- Post added at 01:00 ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 23:40 ----------

just off the phone to them, went threw tesy, reboot modem, rebooting computer, that what was my computer not this.
any advise..?

joglynne
19-11-2008, 01:13
You could try posting the above results on virginmedia.support.broadband.cable Details on how to set up the newsgroups are here. (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up.php)

The techs finished at 10pm (I think) but are back tomorrow morning. If they agree with moaningmags (which is highly probable as she knows what she is talking about :D)they can book you a tech visit at a time convenient to you.

colmm
19-11-2008, 01:19
called them again, going to replance the modem, hopefullly that works... thanks all

whydoIneedatech
19-11-2008, 06:24
Thank will call tomorrow and update link, had looked on the level on topic locked high to me, but wanted EXPERIANCE of you guys... TOP, +REP

---------- Post added at 01:00 ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 23:40 ----------

just off the phone to them, went threw tesy, reboot modem, rebooting computer, that what was my computer not this.
any advise..?
Call today after 0800 if poss to get a UK call centre as it cannot be be your computer with power levels that high.

w00k1e
19-11-2008, 09:29
This upstream level is way out of spec! You shouldn't have had to run any tests on your PC at all.
WTF is up with these Indian call centre 'technicians'?
When I used to work for TW the first thing I'd do would be to check the modem signal levels. As I'm sure you do too whydoIneedatech.

whydoIneedatech
19-11-2008, 09:32
This upstream level is way out of spec! You shouldn't have had to run any tests on your PC at all.
WTF is up with these Indian call centre 'technicians'?
When I used to work for TW the first thing I'd do would be to check the modem signal levels. As I'm sure you do too whydoIneedatech.
Exactly, I have no idea why they could say anything different about his power levels and try to blame the computer, words fail me.:shocked:

moaningmags
19-11-2008, 11:28
called them again, going to replance the modem, hopefullly that works... thanks all

Which modem is it?
Chances are it won't fix the issue and you will still need a visit from a tech.

Axegrinder
19-11-2008, 13:24
Modem 255 (black one)

lol ;)

colmm
20-11-2008, 17:42
Just an update, called support now 5 times, at start of day and different times, I advise about the Upstream transmit Power Level, but they all put you on hold and when they come back say 'no problem from our end, we have sent you a new modem, wait for that to arrive'.

So I'll wait will update here to let you all know what happened.

THANKS you guys...! (and girls of course)

Stabhappy
20-11-2008, 18:02
Dear god the majority of virgin's support staff plain out suck.

Milambar
20-11-2008, 20:21
This is actually a very worrying trend imho. I expect VM's staff will be telling their shareholders something like...

"Our outsourcing to India has been a huge success, as exhibited by a huge fall in the number of engineer visits to domestic users being scheduled....."

Next thing we know, they outsource ALL the callcenter work to India, and then nobody gets any repairs done at all.

Worrying. Either that or Im just plain paranoid.

colmm
24-11-2008, 22:51
Hi All, (again)

I gotten the replacement modem. Talked to ntl, all looked good.....

but

at minute at 0.4 mb speed and poor pings.
Checked the (new) modem rates are

Upstream transmit Power Level : 58.5 dBmV

so guess going have to call them again.
Any ideas what the enginner would do, just

When the enginner was installing my tv, added a long cable, from the wall (were it comes in) about 5 meters, if that would be a factor...?

Thanks you guys....!

Axegrinder
24-11-2008, 23:02
Make sure all coax connections are as tight as. I found this at my dads place with similar problems, tightend the cable at both ends and the upstream power went from 57 to 44.

caph
25-11-2008, 09:50
Colmm, it could well be that your area is oversubscribed and/or being upgraded to 50Mbps. I believe the two may be connected.

I was going great for a week or two after upgrading to 20Mb and getting around 13Mbps speeds but then something happened (I believe it was connected to the upgrades) and suddenly my area was hugely oversubscribed (almost overnight) then my speed ranged between 200Kbps and 600Kbps for weeks on end. Since last week my speeds have risen to between 3Mbps and 10Mbps depending on time of day. It's almost as if they temporarily shift a whole area on to another area (and oversubscribe it) while they do the upgrade and then move them back. For the record, I have an uptream power level of 56.5 dBmV and am currently getting 10Mbps as I write this.

I had to ring support about ten times before I got through to someone who knew how to check if my UBR was oversubscribed and she was amazed that Indian call centre staff had sent me a new modem when that clearly wasn't the problem. Maybe you could try specifically asking about the status of your UBR the next time you ring?

colmm
25-11-2008, 20:20
Thanks for the replys...!

Checked all the coax connection (good idea) from wall to modem.

Should I phone thhem again upload at 58.5 still with poor pings online games.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

Thanks Caph, might be that be mostly familys in my area.
Wonder if virgin will tell me know this if I call them.
Also checked the maintance web site and no maintance in my area.

caph
25-11-2008, 20:47
Also checked the maintance web site and no maintance in my area.

If you're talking about http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/maintenance.do then as far as I can tell you won't see anything unless they decide to upgrade the capacity of your UBR. You could still have an oversubscribed UBR. My upstream power level is almost the same as yours and my speed is up at 10Mb (still less than the 20Mb I should be on though!)