PDA

View Full Version : Virgin National (Beyond Cable - ADSL - LLU) 16Mbit avaliable from tomorrow ;)

BenMcr
18-11-2008, 15:21
I know the article says today, but it IS tomorrow

http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/news/2008/11/18/Virgin-Bumps-DSL-Service-Up-To-16Mbit/p1

In a sales tool I've yet to see utilised by other ISPs, Virgin will offer the 16Mbit upgrade to customers for free for the first three months - if they get the extra bump they're looking for the extra cost will be just £5pm at the end of this trial. If you're a long way from the exchange or simply find yourself not making use of this extra bandwidth on tap then it can be added or removed at any time without the need for a contract.

Obviously have to be on a LLU (C&W) exchange

dilli-theclaw
18-11-2008, 15:23
If only my line could go that fast :(

Chris
18-11-2008, 15:23
Nice, if you can get it. Which I can't.

Kymmy
18-11-2008, 15:27
This little backwater village I think still has a human operated switchboard!!!

Mind you it does mean that cable isn't oversubscribed ;)

BenMcr
18-11-2008, 15:29
Well if/when BT get their finger out and sort out 16Mb non-LLU provisioning, I'm sure Virgin will do it

Chris
18-11-2008, 15:34
Considering my rural exchange only has broadband at all thanks to government intervention, I'm not holding my breath. In any case, my current 'up to' 8Mb only runs at 3Mb for me due to line length, so I wouldn't expect a big improvement, if any, from a 16meg service. I guess it depends whether I'm past the point where greater attenuation cancels out the greater speed.

Turkey Machine
18-11-2008, 15:44
LLU and an updated ADSL2+ modem might get you a Mbit or 2 extra, but don't hold yer breath.

I half-wonder whether this'd be worth it. Why are Virgin suddenly caring about their non-cable customers? Something's not right about this, but if it is free for 3 months, by all means take it!

Stuart
18-11-2008, 15:51
LLU and an updated ADSL2+ modem might get you a Mbit or 2 extra, but don't hold yer breath.

I half-wonder whether this'd be worth it. Why are Virgin suddenly caring about their non-cable customers? Something's not right about this, but if it is free for 3 months, by all means take it!

I suspect Virgin realised long ago that with prices at their current point and Sky keeping them low, it's not economical for them (if it's even possible) to spend tens of billions of pounds upgrading the cable network, so will be looking to ADSL to provide their infrastructure (and therefore letting BT take on the costs behind upgrading/maintaining the last mile).

Chris
18-11-2008, 15:52

It seems that VM is getting a taste for expansion for the first time in years. But it's only going to be able to significantly extend its cable network if it can make as much easy money as possible to fund it. Building on its existing position as an ADSL supplier seems logical.

dragon
19-11-2008, 20:35
Wouldn't be anything to do with the costs for LLU vs IPstream then?