PDA

View Full Version : laptop using wireless slowing down internet and causing lagg !!!

MaXiMiZe
16-11-2008, 13:29
Hi guys, I'm subscribed to the 10Mb service and I have a ntl branded cable modem 200. I also have a linksys wrt54gs wireless router which is connected to the modem. The laptop is wirelessly connected to the router and the pc and xbox 360 are hardwired to it. The problem is that when someone is using the laptop for basic stuff like browsing or using msn messenger, it's making online play on the xbox laggy and when i perform speed tests on the pc they are very low. I've lowered the allocated bandwidth for the wireless to 2Mb but it still doesn't make a difference. Basically when there is activity going on at the same time it slows down the internet and makes online play laggy. Another problem is that when the laptop is in the same room as the router (about a metre or 2 away) I don't get full speed on the wireless. Help would be appreciated Thanks in advance.

Hom3r
16-11-2008, 14:27
I have a lappy which I connect to a Netgear WGT624 V3, I rearly get lag playing BF2.

I also conect to it via an xbox again no lag.

Have you check to see if there is a firmware update?

also try conecting to the modem directly to see if tht affects lag. I had an old belkin that couldn't support 20meg.

Is the modem secure?

are you broadcasting it's SSID?

MaXiMiZe
16-11-2008, 14:40
yes I am broadcasting its SSID but the router is secure. I've got a feeling it's a problem with the modem because it's very old and plays up alot (speed drops timeouts etc.) If I ring in will they replace the modem for me and what should I say ?

Stabhappy
16-11-2008, 21:38
OP, I have had a similar experience with speed dropping on a linksys router, the only thing I can suggest is that you update the firmware as that solved the problem I was having.