PDA

View Full Version : Moving Cables

brush2805
15-11-2008, 19:50
I have had cable in my house for many many years.
The original installation took the path of least resistance from the front of the house through the hall into the lounge for cable tv and a broadband modem.
One thing that always gets on my nerves is that the cable through the front garden isn't very deep and it goes through a flower bed which makes it difficult to dig.
However, my main problem is that the original install came in through the porch. In the process of getting to the lounge it goes around my front porch door frame (on the inside) and my inner door frame. Now the problem is that I need to replace both of these old wooden doors and frames.
So a few questions arise.
Would Virgin charge me to come and move all the cables to a better route?
Shall I put some new internal cables in myself where I want them and then get Virgin to just do some of the work, again any ideas what the charge would be?
I have a house built in 1969 and the BT cable is buried in the solid floor and just comes out in a good spot so I'm considering a dish and adsl broadband.

Jonnymeg
16-11-2008, 19:22
The current rate for this work is £99

As the cables run around door frames i would try to undo it all and reroute it under the floor/carpets as the should be enough.

brush2805
17-11-2008, 15:23
OK thanks for the help, I was worried it might be some ridiculous price. £99 seems too much. Looks like I'll be joining Sky and pressing the old BT line back into service. Shame really, been with cable for well over 10 years and always had good service.
The porch floor is a solid tiled floor.

Chris
17-11-2008, 15:27
OK thanks for the help, I was worried it might be some ridiculous price. £99 seems too much. Looks like I'll be joining Sky and pressing the old BT line back into service. Shame really, been with cable for well over 10 years and always had good service.

Tell Retentions that's your reason when you phone up to cancel. You may well get them to waive the charge. But if they do, make sure you record full details of the phone call and make an audio recording of it if possible!

zing_deleted
17-11-2008, 15:40
depending how long you been away from BT you may find yourself hit with a connection charge as high as £125 also you never know what results you will get with adsl

Jonnymeg
17-11-2008, 15:51
depending how long you been away from BT you may find yourself hit with a connection charge as high as £125 also you never know what results you will get with adsl

Seconded

brush2805
17-11-2008, 17:24
Funnily enough I had a letter this morning, one of the usual periodic marketing trawls from BT. I can "come back to BT", for £19.99, I think the letter said!
I'm hoping ADSL will be OK, I'm about a mile from the exchange.

Chris
17-11-2008, 17:27
Useful, if it becomes essential, but I still think trying to get VM's retentions people to waive the charge for a tech visit is worth a try first.

whydoIneedatech
17-11-2008, 18:58
Just a thought but how old is that BT cable you have coming up out of the floor as that may need replacing as well.

brush2805
18-11-2008, 21:06
My house was built in 1969 so the BT cable is that old.
I will talk to Virgin to see what kind of help they can provide. I'm quite happy to do the internal cabling but they'll need to move the cable outside and come through the wall in a different place for me.