PDA

View Full Version : Help! No Disk!

Luco
14-11-2008, 23:45
Just bought a new computer, realising I need(Do I really???) the disk to configure it to NTL ISP, currently running through an internal network PC, connecting to a belkin router and then to the modem

Any advice on how to connect/Can I fix it with a simple wire switch-a-round?

Cheers,
Luco

moaningmags
14-11-2008, 23:47
Just connect the new computer to the Belkin either using an ethernet cable or wireless adaptor if the new computer has wireless capability.

General Maximus
15-11-2008, 00:05
the modem will automatically detect its connection to the internet and the router will automatically detect the modem. All you need to do is either connect the pc/laptop straight to the router via a cable (at which point it will automatically detect and configure the network settings) or if you are using wi-fi you might need to tell the laptop to manually connect to router. Either way is no biggy though, the idea is that windows pretty much sorts itself out. All the cds you get from isps are crap and only hinder you.

On the odd chance I have got a tad confused by what you have said and you are actually connecting to a pc which is connected to the internet, then you need to enable internet connection sharing on the pc you are connecting to. Go to your control panel and network connections, right click your network adapter and properties, click on the sharing tab and enable ICS. If you have got a router though you woud be better off connecting straight to that.

homealone
15-11-2008, 00:18
you only need the 'disk' to connect using USB - which won't work using Vista as no compatible drivers have been developed, afaik ??

- as said, using an ethernet type connection doesn't need the 'disk', whatever the operating system :)

Luco
15-11-2008, 00:39
Apologies, I got myself confused :monkey:

The computer is plugged into the Belkin wireless/ethernet router, which is in turn plugged into the router(NTL ethernet cable based). Although there is still no internet connection and not being a wizard (:dunce:) I don't know what to do.

Hope you can help a :dunce: , Luco

homealone
15-11-2008, 00:52
Apologies, I got myself confused :monkey:

The computer is plugged into the Belkin wireless/ethernet router, which is in turn plugged into the router(NTL ethernet cable based). Although there is still no internet connection and not being a wizard (:dunce:) I don't know what to do.

Hope you can help a :dunce: , Luco

set up your connection with just the modem, first, then tackle the router when that is working, would be my advice :)

zing_deleted
15-11-2008, 00:55
You meant the Modem is plugged into the router? Turn off modem and router. Switch on modem when settled switch on router reboot pcs then try

what is the belkin router model

Luco
15-11-2008, 13:24
How do I set up my connection from this new PC?

Do I have to have the disk or can I do it manually?

Tech_Boy
15-11-2008, 13:29
Just connect the ethernet cable from the router to the pc, turn the pc on & open IE, thats all you need to do to get the connection running on a new pc, with the set up that you have.

SnoopZ
15-11-2008, 14:00
Just connect the ethernet cable from the router to the pc, turn the pc on & open IE, thats all you need to do to get the connection running on a new pc, with the set up that you have.

Unless hes got MAC address filtering switched on.

Tech_Boy
15-11-2008, 14:40
Unless hes got MAC address filtering switched on.

Be fair, that is highly unlikely.
If the OP had set up mac filtering, that would suggest a level of familiarity with how the connection works that would have negated the need to ask wether running the install disk was needed ;)

SnoopZ
15-11-2008, 15:07
Be fair, that is highly unlikely.
If the OP had set up mac filtering, that would suggest a level of familiarity with how the connection works that would have negated the need to ask wether running the install disk was needed ;)

Yes that's true. :)

Northeast_user
15-11-2008, 15:12
Won't he have to use the network connections wizzard and put his password in?

Tech_Boy
15-11-2008, 16:23
Won't he have to use the network connections wizzard and put his password in?

Unlikely if it is a wired network, as most people would not bother password protecting a wired network.

Luco
17-11-2008, 18:04
Problem sorted, Thanks for the advice