PDA

View Full Version : VM does not support upload?

valois
14-11-2008, 18:08
Long time reader first time poster so be gentle.

Hoping from a reply from one of the tech guys.

For the last 3 days my voice chat ventrilo server ping has been awful, the server is based in the UK, we have been using it for years with a ping of 22, until a few days ago even tonight my ping is all over the place going from 22, 400, 2000+, 7000 upto 13000, so I picked up the phone and called 150

I was talking with both a supervisor and Manager in VM support in Mumbai \ Bombay and they both told me VM does not support upload only download, the reason we were talking about upload is because when we did the tests my download was the full 20mb line however my upload was ranging from 45Kbps to 153Kbps to 190Kbps instead of the usual 724Kbps that I usually get.

I understand that our contract says upto 768Kbps but surely there is an acceptable lower limit? And surely if Im pinging 13000 when I usually ping 22 does this not indicate a problem. They didnt seem to think so.

Looking for help on what to do next, as I am at a loss, I cannot prove my upload is bad if they wont test for it or support it.

Thanks in advance.

Download Failed (1)

broadbandbug
14-11-2008, 18:56
Long time reader first time poster so be gentle.

Hoping from a reply from one of the tech guys.

For the last 3 days my voice chat ventrilo server ping has been awful, the server is based in the UK, we have been using it for years with a ping of 22, until a few days ago even tonight my ping is all over the place going from 22, 400, 2000+, 7000 upto 13000, so I picked up the phone and called 150

I was talking with both a supervisor and Manager in VM support in Mumbai \ Bombay and they both told me VM does not support upload only download, the reason we were talking about upload is because when we did the tests my download was the full 20mb line however my upload was ranging from 45Kbps to 153Kbps to 190Kbps instead of the usual 724Kbps that I usually get.

I understand that our contract says upto 768Kbps but surely there is an acceptable lower limit? And surely if Im pinging 13000 when I usually ping 22 does this not indicate a problem. They didnt seem to think so.

Looking for help on what to do next, as I am at a loss, I cannot prove my upload is bad if they wont test for it or support it.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/02156667.png

They do support upload and you should get a decent upstream service. It looks like you have a noise issue causing upstream congestion, or oversubbed upstream.
You need to get them to raise a fault for poor upstream performance.. VM do seem to be a bit myopic with regards to downstream.. Tell them that your upstream performance is not acceptable.

valois
14-11-2008, 19:27
Hi broadbandbug,

Firstly thanks for posting, after your post, I called VM support again and again was told that they only support download however after mentioning a few of the things you suggested she agreed to change the frequency, however we couldnt get the http://192.168.100.1/gscan.asp working. I dont think this works for the modem I have. So she has arranged for a tech to come out on Monday between 8-12. So thank you for answering my post, with your response it made me be a little more forceful although always remaining polite :)

note: its got worse - now I am being disconnected - oh well roll on the engineer.

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/02157435.png

whydoIneedatech
14-11-2008, 20:09
I called VM support again and again was told that they only support download however after mentioning a few of the things you suggested she agreed to change the frequency, however we couldnt get the http://192.168.100.1/gscan.asp working. I dont think this works for the modem I have.

What model is the modem you have then.

valois
14-11-2008, 21:23
Was hoping you would get involved, usually when you get involved things get fixed :) I got the modem as a replacement about 3 weeks ago as I was having frequency drop issues whatever that means :) Its branded Virgin Media: Trade Name: Ambit - Model No: E08C013.00

Hope that helps.

Edit: Download remains good - upload is still poor and creating ping spikes and disconnects.

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/02158652.png

Axegrinder
14-11-2008, 22:00
Could you post your power levels?

valois
14-11-2008, 22:05
Hi Axegrinder thanks for the help, the more the merrier.

I would be more than happy to post them:

Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.3 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 37.0 dBmV

If I have provided the wrong information or you need more, just let me know.

whydoIneedatech
14-11-2008, 22:15
Was hoping you would get involved, usually when you get involved things get fixed :) I got the modem as a replacement about 3 weeks ago as I was having frequency drop issues whatever that means :) Its branded Virgin Media: Trade Name: Ambit - Model No: E08C013.00

Hope that helps.

Edit: Download remains good - upload is still poor and creating ping spikes and disconnects.

You have an Ambit 256 they tried to use a command for a Scientific Atlanta Webstar modem, the only thing you as a user can change in your modems settings is the username and password, nothing else.

Your power levels are within the operational parameters for either a NTL or Telewest connection.

As Broadbandbug has said the must be a problem on the upstream it should not be that low and must be causing drop outs, probably a low SNR issue on the uBR, I would advise you to call in tomorrow after 0800 to try and get a UK call centre.

valois
14-11-2008, 22:37
Yeah I used to have a Scientific Atlanta Webstar now that you mentioned it I recongize the name, guess it may still be on the system which is why the girl on tech support was trying to get me to use the command, I will try calling tomorrow just after 8am however I always seem to get India no matter when I phone, wasnt sure there was still tech support in the UK.

Would like to thank everyone who replied, I know the fault isnt fixed however its good to get feedback and advice.

whydoIneedatech
14-11-2008, 22:59
Yeah I used to have a Scientific Atlanta Webstar now that you mentioned it I recongize the name, guess it may still be on the system which is why the girl on tech support was trying to get me to use the command, I will try calling tomorrow just after 8am however I always seem to get India no matter when I phone, wasnt sure there was still tech support in the UK.

Would like to thank everyone who replied, I know the fault isnt fixed however its good to get feedback and advice.
They should be able to see what modem you are using as it will be listed and of course if unsure they should then ask you what you are using, it is the first thing I ask when on a call as you need to know.

So you are also a EX-Telewest customer as well then.

valois
14-11-2008, 23:04
Yeah afraid I have been around since cableinet and before, then telewest (which I loved) and now VM (No Comment) - Oh and I still like to think of myself as a Telewest Customer.

Ps The girl never asked, she was more interested in knowing my daughters name.

whydoIneedatech
14-11-2008, 23:06
Yeah afraid I have been around since cableinet and before, then telewest (which I loved) and now VM (No Comment).
You probably had a DPX100 or 110 in cream then.

valois
14-11-2008, 23:13
Had the surfboard a long time, yip. Good times.

simon8298
15-11-2008, 01:00
For some reason i can download @ 2.3MB/s but yet i can not get my upload past 40kb/s... it is almost like they have capped just my upload speed...

any one else had the same problem??

Kymmy
15-11-2008, 07:24
Simon I merged your question in with this thread as the topic is already being discussed here

valois
15-11-2008, 08:01
Well its almost 8am and of course my upload appears to be fine, will call VM support anyway as suggested. Will let you know the outcome. Got the Indian Call Center, will leave it another 10 mins and try again, after that I give up.

Download Failed (1)

whydoIneedatech
15-11-2008, 08:40
Well its almost 8am and of course my upload appears to be fine, will call VM support anyway as suggested. Will let you know the outcome. Got the Indian Call Center, will leave it another 10 mins and try again, after that I give up.

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/02160805.png
If you keep getting India wait till after 0900 as the should be UK available by then.

We do actually have Indian agents in the UK though.

valois
15-11-2008, 09:00
Wohoo at 8:20am finally got through to the UK, and finally got a resolution. At first I seemed to be getting STMed on my upload, but as I monitor my line with a meter, I knew yesterday I had only used 20mb upload all day, so after he talked with 2nd line they finally discovered a strange one, a FEC issue, so now its officially a network issue and a engineer will be sent to investigate and fix it. So he cancelled the engineer, apoligised for me being told that VM doesnt support upload, it does when its a network issue and it should have been investigated further last night to establish this fact.

Timescale for fix will probably be Tuesday as its the weekend.

Morning whydoIneedatech, yeah I understand, but Indian people who work in the UK don't lie about their names, i.e. are happy to be called Priya, Sana etc I know alot of Indian people but I have noticed that Indian Call Centers they change their name to make it easier for us brits, which is a shame as I prefer calling someone their real name.

whydoIneedatech
15-11-2008, 09:08
Wohoo at 8:20am finally got through to the UK, and finally got a resolution. At first it seemed to be getting STMed on my upload, but as I monitor my line with a meter, I knew yesterday I had only used 20mb upload all day, so after he talked with 2nd line they finally discovered a strange one, a FEC issue, so now its officially a network issue and a engineer will be sent to investigate and fix it. So he cancelled the engineer, apoligised for me being told that VM doesnt support upload, it does when its a network issue and it should have been investigated further last night to establish this fact.

That is the kind of error I expected it to be and is easily spotted if the online line tools are used correctly.

Then it would be raised to our 2nd line as the agent you spoke to did, and now you have it being escalated to Networks.;)

valois
15-11-2008, 09:44
Well again, thx to all who helped with advice and support. Told you things get fixed when you get involved - my faith in you remains.

whydoIneedatech
15-11-2008, 10:54
Well again, thx to all who helped with advice and support. Told you things get fixed when you get involved - my faith in you remains.

broadbandbug
15-11-2008, 19:02
Wohoo at 8:20am finally got through to the UK, and finally got a resolution. At first I seemed to be getting STMed on my upload, but as I monitor my line with a meter, I knew yesterday I had only used 20mb upload all day, so after he talked with 2nd line they finally discovered a strange one, a FEC issue, so now its officially a network issue and a engineer will be sent to investigate and fix it. So he cancelled the engineer, apoligised for me being told that VM doesnt support upload, it does when its a network issue and it should have been investigated further last night to establish this fact.

Morning whydoIneedatech, yeah I understand, but Indian people who work in the UK don't lie about their names, i.e. are happy to be called Priya, Sana etc I know alot of Indian people but I have noticed that Indian Call Centers they change their name to make it easier for us brits, which is a shame as I prefer calling someone their real name.

FEC Issue - Forward Error Correction.. Probably loads of Correctable and Uncorrectable Errors. Likely cause bad SNR (noise) on the upstream frequency.. They will send the network guys out 'noise busting' to find the node with the problem and fix it..:)