PDA

View Full Version : VM/Netgear WGR614 V9 Router Login Issues

GRILTD
13-11-2008, 12:05
Hi All,

We have a user who has recently switched to Virgin Media Cable Broadband, with his cable package he recieved the usual VM Branded Netgear WGR614 V9 router, which on the face of it should be a good little unit.

Initially we had issues getting past the very first config screen that appears on first use/opening of IE - we kept going around in circles, ending up back where we started.

I managed to resolve the issue by entering the default router password into the Router Admin Credentials area on that initial setup page, after that it took the newly entered details and we could obtain internet access.

The trouble now is - we are unable to log into the router via the web based control panel. I have tried a handfull of passwords but to no avail - the frustrating thing is the password is still "password"! But no matter how many times we try to enter what should still be the default credentials it refuses access.

I have reset the router and run through the whole process again but still we are unable to access the router's config interface.

Any ideas on what the issue may be? Possible dodgy router?

All thoughts greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Chris

pabscars
13-11-2008, 12:56
sorry to state the obvious but are you using the correct username (virgin), and obviously (password) as the password. if its the same as mine which was supplied by VM. the username and password are usually stated on a label under the router, i,m not a techy person but i too couldnt login untill i realised i was using the wrong username,

GRILTD
13-11-2008, 13:35
Hi there,

Yep the default username and password were gleaned from the underside of the router and were tried in vain, but to no avail!

Chris

whydoIneedatech
13-11-2008, 13:46
Hi there,

Yep the default username and password were gleaned from the underside of the router and were tried in vain, but to no avail!

Chris
Connect direct to the router with a Ethernet cable and try and open a webpage and put 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and when it goes to the next screen use the username of "virgin" and the passphrase "password" and that should take you to the Netgear configuration pages.

Turkey Machine
13-11-2008, 16:44
Related to this, is there a way of changing the username? Figured out how to change the password, but seen no mention in the configs of changing the username. :(

whydoIneedatech
13-11-2008, 16:48
Related to this, is there a way of changing the username? Figured out how to change the password, but seen no mention in the configs of changing the username. :(
You can change the name of the router but the username will always be virgin.

Turkey Machine
13-11-2008, 17:51
That's a bummer. :(

whydoIneedatech
13-11-2008, 19:27
That's a bummer. :(
Its either that or a pinhole reset and a reinstall to change your password, you need quick easy access and it is only used when connected via a ethernet cable to log in.

GRILTD
14-11-2008, 11:56
The issue that we are having is that the original credentials don't work with the router, even after a reset.

The router won't take any other password other than the default password at the initial setup screen, and when you do enter the default password and then try to access the web based config area it won't let you in.

It's a strange situation, being locked out of a router by the default username and password.

Dodgy router perhaps?

Does anyone know if you can get into the web config area of the router before you get to the intial setup page e.g. - if I open up IE and see the setup page, can I browse to the router's IP Address and make changes from there? Thus bypassing that initial page?

byuser
07-07-2009, 03:02
trying to conact to wierless router but is not working why

speedbird1960
31-01-2010, 00:14
Hi everyone :angel: I have read all the above posts and i think most of these problems can be sorted by going onto NETGEARS OWN WEBSITE its full of help and info. Hope this helps, it will save you a lot of time. All for now.

tomwoj
31-01-2010, 08:24
Have you tried other default password combo's? Try connect directly via the first ethernet port, try using various internet browsers too - chrome/firefox/not just i.e.

Go to http://192.168.1.1 in your browser.

Default netgear details for that router is user: admin pass: password

So try that first :) of course make sure caps lock is off etc

Could just be a bad bit of hardware, so if all else fails ring tech support and see about gettin a replacement.

Tom

Peter_
31-01-2010, 10:50
Hi everyone :angel: I have read all the above posts and i think most of these problems can be sorted by going onto NETGEARS OWN WEBSITE its full of help and info. Hope this helps, it will save you a lot of time. All for now.
Netgear do not support this router due to it using Virgin firmware so not a good idea.

Have you tried other default password combo's? Try connect directly via the first ethernet port, try using various internet browsers too - chrome/firefox/not just i.e.

Go to http://192.168.1.1 in your browser.

Default netgear details for that router is user: admin pass: password

So try that first :) of course make sure caps lock is off etc

Could just be a bad bit of hardware, so if all else fails ring tech support and see about gettin a replacement.

Tom
As it is a Virgin router the username is virgin and this is printed on the base of all Virginmedia supplied Netgear WGR614v9 routers.

speedbird1960
01-02-2010, 23:54
[QUOTE=Moldova;34955278]Netgear do not support this router due to it using Virgin firmware so not a good idea.

Hi Moldova, i know the firmware is different, but netgear routers work on the same platform. Netgears website has got so much info in one place, you can download full user manuals with all light error codes. Also you can find out how to setup gaming, wireless connections, and many other things. there is also a very usefull forum. All for now.

mattolsen
03-02-2010, 22:34
right,

192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 try both with an ethernet cable plugged into a lan port (one of the four free spaces on the router)
only one will work, and one on a pc

then, admin is netgears standard user name but virgin is used for my router. once again try both

password will either be password, or, when you set upthe router from the disk you will have been asked twice to set usernames and passwords. it should be one of these.

my girlfriends mother has a non branded netgear router, the standard set up is admin, password

as i have virgin, mine is virgin, then whatever is set when asked.

Now, this could also be the cause- was your router password protected? if it wasnt, anyone can go and find out the default logins with google and change them. dont ask my why anyone would do this but someone may have.

let me know if this is helpful as im qite familliar with netgear and may be able to help

calmpitbull
05-02-2010, 19:30

What possible benefits could be gained from changing the username??? Can't see the point in this.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

If you have tried what has been suggested by the previous post and the pinhole reset will not change things then I think changing the router would be the best thing to do. It sounds to me like you have tried everything.

mattolsen
05-02-2010, 20:11
yes there is a way to do this, but you either need to have the disk that came with it, or be able to login. defeats the points really.

best bets get a new one. try freecycle.org theres always some up there near me

Peter_
05-02-2010, 22:26
yes there is a way to do this, but you either need to have the disk that came with it, or be able to login. defeats the points really.

best bets get a new one. try freecycle.org theres always some up there near me
The Virgin router has embedded firmware and comes with a Virginmedia setup disk with Virginmedia software on it, so that disk cannot be used to change the username from Virgin nor can you login and change the username.

If you use other ways to remove the Virginmedia branding you are likely to brick it and Netgear will refuse to support it as well once you give them the serial number.

You want to set a router up in the way that you want then get one that can use Tomato firmware or similar.

mattolsen
05-02-2010, 23:01
you said you've managed to find a way of changing the password. i think the only way of doing so is by logging in so im assuming you can log in. if so, theres a setting to restore the factory defaults. do as a last resort