PDA

View Full Version : Routing issues since 10Mb upgrade

vanman112
12-11-2008, 16:01
I wonder if anyone here has experienced any routing issues following a broadband speed upgrade at VM? This is an issue I am currently facing.

I am new to this forum, have searched and found one or two similar threads (though none which is both recent and contains a resolution), so am posting my problem in the hope that someone might help.

Environment:

Birmingham/Solihull B90 postcode area. Former Telewest customer. Broadband XL user (was 4Mbps, recently upgraded to 10Mbps). Linksys WRT54G router (not provided by VM) with numerous computers behind it running XP, Ubuntu and OpenSUSE. Plus a Wii.

Problem:

4Mbps service always worked perfectly. IP address allocated via DHCP to WAN side of router was 82.36.xxx.xxx. This was the old Telewest network.

Went on holiday a couple of weeks ago. Came back. 10Mbps upgrade had been implemented. IP address on WAN link is now 213.48.xxx.xxx (NTL network?). Download speed does indeed peak near 10Mbps BUT...

Some IP addresses are now largely unreachable. For example, none of the wikipedia sites is reachable although traceroute does eventually get there with some timeouts and dropped packets.

Some services operated by Yahoo! are also affected. I can load Flickr, but I see no images because the servers which serve them can't be reached.

Alternative DNS (OpenDNS) does not help.

There seems to be a routing issue in VM's network. Is anyone else seeing this issue? Has anyone managed to resolve it?

TIA

blade85
12-11-2008, 22:30
I had a similar issue with certain sites not opening even though a connection was being made ( I am in bham as well).

try to see fi you can connect to yahoo answers or tomshardware.co.uk

I basically called them up and they went through all kinds of stuff, none of which worked. Then after an hour and a half I was told to go to this site: http://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/troubleshooting/access-website.php and follow whatever it says,and also to get rid of my original antivirus (avast) and use the pcguard that u get with the VM service (which isnt bad at all now, gets the job done). They also got me to basically clean out my IE and Firefox files and add ons.

Initially this didnt seem to do anything but literally next morning...everything started working. Now why that happened is beyond me, cause i know for a fact that if those steps were gonna help they would have done so the first time.

My guess is, after spending an hour and half on the phone with them and getting them to talk to the manager, someone somewhere looked into it and sorted it out.

if nothing works, just give them a ring and go through whatever they say.

Oh by the way, there may be a good chance someone might say "sorry sir but it seems to be the site" and "its your pc", in which case tell them that its not as you can access is from another connection and that you have more than 1 pc running on the connection and non of them can connect.

best of luck