PDA

View Full Version : cowboy installers, its getting worse..

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 19:39
if you got any questions or complaints ill try to tell you what i know...

if your an installer who wants to moan at me, then lets see if a good one..

just anoyed atm about the cowboy installers giving virgin a worse name that they already have.. oh and getting payed for telling customers lies and us sorting their botch jobs out...

JayJay
11-11-2008, 20:04
LOL!! Fantastic. I like your thinking. I usually find its sales that end up stitching us up when we turn up to a job.

Had a few good jobs today where I had to repair/reroute cables etc where lazy engineers couldnt be bothered.

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 20:17
hehe.. thought you would be the first on here.. yeah ill agree sales stitch you up as they do us .. and i can agree you proberly you couldn't be bothered to do a job so crept up and posted a calling card lol... ill agree you have to do too many jobs in a day.. and agree its a shame u gotta buy ur own tools, (thus usin screwdrivers instead of krone tools and not conecting).. but damn some of u guys are very dodgy :)

sollp
11-11-2008, 20:36
Do you really think that by washing dirty laundry in public is somehow going to improve things?

Virginmedia is trying to resolve these issues by better training ect, but if your an employee and you come accross poor workmanship then there are correct channels to take these issues through, maybe when enough of these people are caught in this manner things will change quicker. I know alot of people who moan, but when push comes to shove do absolutely nothing about it.

JayJay
11-11-2008, 20:38
Havent done a calling card yet, always attempt the job. Im a fairly good guy when it comes to things like that, If i was in and someone did that to me i would be going nuts.

There is alot of jobs we have to do in one day, but hey, nothing really we can do about it.

With regards to the tools, I havent bought a single thing, bar a stanley knife! Company supplied everything, even a Krone ;-). Havent met a single tech down here without a Krone thats for sure! LOL.

I guess your service?

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

Do you really think that by washing dirty laundry in public is somehow going to improve things?

Dont know how im coming across but I love my job! How many people can say that?

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 20:51
yep.. washing laundry can only get it cleaned in public or not.. im on vm's side and i know they are tryin to sort things out, i go to 3-4 jobs a day the installers dont do properly, it is not always ther fault. i take the correct channels, have the photographic proof, i dont blame vm, it will take time.

my words on here are to tell customers it will get better after a bad install, if customers can see dirty laundry being washed thay see somthing gettin clean, if nothing is said they see the dirt belonging to vm, and it does not

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

jajay, i somehow know ur one of the the better guys, you wouldnt be on here if you wasn't ;)

sollp
11-11-2008, 20:53
yep.. washing laundry can only get it cleaned in public or not.. im on vm's side and i know they are tryin to sort things out, i go to 3-4 jobs a day the installers dont do properly, it is not always ther fault. i take the correct channels, have the photographic proof, i dont blame vm, it will take time.

my words on here are to tell customers it will get better after a bad install, if customers can see dirty laundry being washed thay see somthing gettin clean, if nothing is said they see the dirt belonging to vm, and it does not

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

jajay, i somehow know ur one of the the better guys, you wouldnt be on here if you wasn't ;)

Well depends on your perspective really, but it dosen't come across as very professional having a thread involving Service/installers slanging each other off in public.

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 20:59
if you saw the silly little things that anoy me everyday, and i can asure customers when its sorted the service is great and if any installers ask question and i can help because they are not taught properly, then i see benefits all round...

jayjay and myself are already talkin nice to each other :) just wish vm could do a installer/service chat on ther site.. for the ones who care about the job :)

JayJay
11-11-2008, 21:11
I cant see anywhere that me and virgin_tech are slangin each other off? Why the hell would we slag each other off when we are on the same team so to speak. Albeit different parts of the country no doubt!

virgin_tech, your right, It would be great to have somewhere for installers to talk, gives me an idea actually. Shame I dont have access to the VM intranet either, just my contractors :(.

I love my job, I will go leaps and bounds for customers, Im being honest here. Ive done so many little things in my short period for working within the VM contract that has made peoples days. I love putting smiles on customers faces. When the customer isnt happy, Im not! I will do EVERYTHING in my power to make that customers service work correctly and to be satisfied with what Ive done. I perform everything by the book when I go to a customers house, Jobs worth? Maybe! I Just happen to be proud for who I work for and that I can leave a positive feeling about the company I represent out on the field.

Its a job thats taken me long enough to get and I for one am gonna make the most of it and do my best in what I do!

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 21:29
yeah.. its a great job providing a great service. i know ther is a lot out ther like you jayjay, its just the odd few that let us down, im sick of the divide and that is vm's fault install and service need to have exchange students lol, after all a new customer sees the install first... not all are bad, they do try but makes me upset when ther so close and fail on silly things...

JayJay
11-11-2008, 21:42
Thanks mate :)

Youve hit the nail on the head with the service and install guys though. There is a very big divide. Its a shame really.

An example, I turnt up at a customers house, 2 man crew. Job was down for a repull. Asked what fault the customer was getting and he said telephone, Asked to come in and do some tests of our own just so we can see for ourselves as *sometimes* service guys (spesh the new ones we have had lately! grrr) do make mistakes. Customer would not let us into the house and we was told we are just 'shitty contractors' and just to replace the cable. I asked him to explain why he called us 'shitty contractors' and his reply was... "The service guy told me that you would want to have a look for yourself but its the cable at fault and you would do everything you can not to pull the cable".

That put me in a bad mood for starters.

We pulled the cable, fault still there. He then reluctantly let us in, oohh dear... Faulty master socket! :-D Not so shitty now are we! haha

whydoIneedatech
11-11-2008, 21:44
Well depends on your perspective really, but it dosen't come across as very professional having a thread involving Service/installers slanging each other off in public.
I have no idea where you got the idea that they were slagging each other off, they are discussing their work and may have been better to have just PMed each other, but they know their jobs and both appear to enjoy it.

Maybe you should re read their posts properly.;)

JayJay
11-11-2008, 21:51
Tbh I think its a good idea that people are able to see what we have written, perhaps they might get a better understanding at what happens when we turn up ! :)

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 21:52
I have no idea where you got the idea that they were slagging each other off, they are discussing their work and may have been better to have just PMed each other, but they know their jobs and both appear to enjoy it.

:) hi its not just about pm'ing him i want others and customers to read the post so they hopefully see a good thing, ive had boxes thrown in my face because of bad installs, if some customers can b e put right about bad experiences then that is a good thing, for the customer mainly, and my face lol..:)

what part of tech support at knowsley u work in we have proberly chatted :) the guys and girls ther rock :)

whydoIneedatech
11-11-2008, 21:54
:) hi its not just about pm'ing him i want others and customers to read the post so they hopefully see a good thing, ive had boxes thrown in my face because of bad installs, if some customers can b e put right about bad experiences then that is a good thing, for the customer mainly, and my face lol..:)

what part of tech support at knowsley u work in we have proberly chatted :) the guys and girls ther rock :)
I was on about the conversational tone you went into which our friend above missed and sometimes the mods moan about.:D

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 21:56
lol yeah i know, but you get more ppl readin if it sounds worse than it actually is :) the sundays papers get away with it lol

whydoIneedatech
11-11-2008, 22:01
lol yeah i know, but you get more ppl readin if it sounds worse than it actually is :) the sundays papers get away with it lol
Keep posting because the will be many questions asked on here that you can answer.

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 22:12
in my own little way thats what i want, Customer satisfation is my main aim, i just wish it was others aswell.

its not all rosey, when first installed, with the problems that may happen its the lies, that hurt and keepin the customer informed, is good relations, well so my heart tells me :)

sollp
11-11-2008, 23:13

Oh dear, well for starters i didn't say they where, "slagging each other off". I said, Well depends on your perspective really, but it dosen't come across as very professional having a thread involving Service/installers slanging each other off in public.

The tone of the thread as stated in the title is,"cowboy installers, its getting worse".

So i think you've jumped on a bandwagon, thats just started, i was simply saying from a person who works for Virginmedia and sees the exact things day in day out as well, that this isn't as was first put in the start of the thread, the way to do it.

Having a proper constructive conversation is better but would still be best done within company so these gripes ,moans and critisism could be properly aired and hopefully resolved. I have been just as critical as anyone on this subject, but the way the thread was titled and was set by the OP would have just ended up with a slanging match between installers and service techs, now i don't think that would set a good image.. do you?

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:10 ----------

I was on about the conversational tone you went into which our friend above missed and sometimes the mods moan about.:D

It didn't start conversational.. did it.

---------- Post added at 23:13 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

in my own little way thats what i want, Customer satisfation is my main aim, i just wish it was others aswell.

its not all rosey, when first installed, with the problems that may happen its the lies, that hurt and keepin the customer informed, is good relations, well so my heart tells me :)

Don't we all want customer satisfaction.

JayJay
11-11-2008, 23:16
I cant see any problems between a service tech and an installer here? If anything we have brought that little divide that little bit closer :)

What the OP was trying to say is that the contractors in his area clearly are cowboys and he has had to solve alot of problems that they have done. If he was joe public no one would of battered an eye lid but because hes a tech, no one wants to read it.

whydoIneedatech was joining in the discussion about working with service and installers, he hasnt jumped onto any bandwagon! :)

whydoIneedatech
11-11-2008, 23:18
Oh dear, well for starters i didn't say they where, "slagging each other off". I said, Well depends on your perspective really, but it dosen't come across as very professional having a thread involving Service/installers slanging each other off in public.

The tone of the thread as stated in the title is,"cowboy installers, its getting worse".

So i think you've jumped on a bandwagon, thats just started, i was simply saying from a person who works for Virginmedia and sees the exact things day in day out as well, that this isn't as was first put in the start of the thread, the way to do it.

Having a proper constructive conversation is better but would still be best done within company so these gripes ,moans and critisism could be properly aired and hopefully resolved. I have been just as critical as anyone on this subject, but the way the thread was titled and was set by the OP would have just ended up with a slanging match between installers and service techs, now i don't think that would set a good image.. do you?
In some ways it is good to show what they face each day and they were referring to other contractors.

It also shows that they actually care enough to come on here and offer advice as many of us do.

sollp
11-11-2008, 23:22
In some ways it is good to show what they face each day and they were referring to other contractors.

It also shows that they actually care enough to come on here and offer advice as many of us do.

Ok, don't disagree on that, but the tone of the thread and the OP's start indicated otherwise.

JayJay
11-11-2008, 23:22

Exactly :)

sollp
11-11-2008, 23:27
I cant see any problems between a service tech and an installer here? If anything we have brought that little divide that little bit closer :)

What the OP was trying to say is that the contractors in his area clearly are cowboys and he has had to solve alot of problems that they have done. If he was joe public no one would of battered an eye lid but because hes a tech, no one wants to read it.

whydoIneedatech was joining in the discussion about working with service and installers, he hasnt jumped onto any bandwagon! :)

Again i could wright a list of arguments, frustrations i have had on this subject,(at work,and on these threads) but as the title thread and tone set could have set a different line of argument which i think would not look good as a company.

Maybe if the title had been thought of a bit better and the first thread explained a little less aggressively it will hopefully serve the purpose positively on the subject that the OP wants... just a thought really.

---------- Post added at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was at 23:26 ----------

Exactly :)

ditto.

JayJay
11-11-2008, 23:28
You are correct, the title and first post could of been made a bit clearer. I think the OP was about to go on a rant but notice how the topic avoided the rant :D:p:

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 23:29
i started the thread so any customer who has issues would see this and agree with the statement, then reading on or asking me a question would hopefully see a good point and realise the install isnt the same as the ongoing service, talkin behind closed doors will never help the customer.
as far as im concerned ther is no grief with installers and tech's, but if you would like to continue this conversation, then more dirty laundry will be washed
my aim if you read is to help mainly the customers and some install egineers if they so choose to ask for some tips..

the thread is named so to prick up angry ears, not to white wash... no one likes to be made a mug of...

whydoIneedatech
11-11-2008, 23:29
Ok, don't disagree on that, but the tone of the thread and the OP's start indicated otherwise.
Both JayJay and Virgin Tech knew what they were talking about and it would have seemed different to you and most other people reading the posts.

I could see what they were getting at because I take the calls from customers.

In many ways it was more of a clique thing.;)

As above:D

sollp
11-11-2008, 23:39
i started the thread so any customer who has issues would see this and agree with the statement, then reading on or asking me a question would hopefully see a good point and realise the install isnt the same as the ongoing service, talkin behind closed doors will never help the customer.
as far as im concerned ther is no grief with installers and tech's, but if you would like to continue this conversation, then more dirty laundry will be washed
my aim if you read is to help mainly the customers and some install egineers if they so choose to ask for some tips..

the thread is named so to prick up angry ears, not to white wash... no one likes to be made a mug of...

Well on that note then wash away,don't know what you mean by that though? but thats what this forum is about anyway customers expressing the good and bad of cable ect. Its run on the fact its independent and helped by people who work,have worked for VM ultimately for the good of the customers.

Im, like you and others are trying to give a better image of VM, which won't be helped by over the top statements or aggressive threads. I'm all for giving help, thats why i have frequented this forum for the past few years giving some advice and argument as well.

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

Both JayJay and Virgin Tech knew what they were talking about and it would have seemed different to you and most other people reading the posts.

I could see what they were getting at because I take the calls from customers.

In many ways it was more of a clique thing.;)

As above:D

No probs on that really, we work to help the customer which i do enjoy. And i get just as frustrated as the OP does on this subject as well.

So i think we all know where we are at on this one.

whydoIneedatech
11-11-2008, 23:46
No probs on that really, we work to help the customer which i do enjoy. And i get just as frustrated as the OP does on this subject as well.

So i think we all know where we are at on this one.
You VM or an unknown:D

Do not have a Staff package under your name.

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 23:47
some thing you must agree on (and washing away will not help lol) the thread has certainly got people especially you looking at what might be said here.. i have used the right words in this thread....

to get angry customers here and calm then down to realise all is well from the ocasional bad install. my aim is up, or words seem down... help me... to help customers who have had a bad install to see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

sollp
11-11-2008, 23:48
You VM or an unknown:D

Do not have a Staff package under your name.

Bit personal that, next you'll be asking my inside leg measurment.

No staff package as im, OFF NET. Did have the ADSL Broadband, but due to technical slowness i disconnected after a month! Yes i work for VM.

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 23:53
if we all work for vm thers no point in this lol... we need angry customers hehe

whydoIneedatech
12-11-2008, 07:03
Bit personal that, next you'll be asking my inside leg measurment.

No staff package as im, OFF NET. Did have the ADSL Broadband, but due to technical slowness i disconnected after a month! Yes i work for VM.

your getting the new name soon for off net.

What is your inside leg then:D

on in an hour!
12-11-2008, 17:35
Havent done a calling card yet, always attempt the job. Im a fairly good guy when it comes to things like that, If i was in and someone did that to me i would be going nuts.

There is alot of jobs we have to do in one day, but hey, nothing really we can do about it.

With regards to the tools, I havent bought a single thing, bar a stanley knife! Company supplied everything, even a Krone ;-). Havent met a single tech down here without a Krone thats for sure! LOL.

I guess your service?

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

Dont know how im coming across but I love my job! How many people can say that?

a stanley knife :eeek: youd be thrown off site in the NW if they found one of these in your toolbox!!! :shocked: theres a reason they didnt supply you 1.

JayJay
12-11-2008, 18:33
Yeah my thumb found out the other day when I accidently cut it LOL. You never know when you will need a stanley ! Who says its for cutting cable? Got a decent set of snips for that :-D

sollp
12-11-2008, 19:58
The amount of times i have been to a customers house when doing service,(as when needs must, we do service) or when i have been looking into the omni box during a CATV referral, only to have the telco pairs come apart in the omni box because somebody used a stanley knife to bear back the outer casing on the telco side of the drop cable. Amazing really it can take a few months to a few years for the moistuer to get into that slight nick made by the knife and corrode the copper because of the DC voltage!

virgin_tech
12-11-2008, 20:28
stanley knife lol , install and service do use them, i never have and dont really see they make it easier for any job. a light twist on the catv cutter and it peels back like a bannana...

only one install problem to fix today... things might be gettin better, :)

Nedkelly
12-11-2008, 20:45
I have a stanley knife in my tool box issued by the company as long as it is not lockable it is ok .It is on the tooling list :)
Sollp yes you are right i have seen that happen so many times :D

JayJay
12-11-2008, 21:49
only one install problem to fix today... things might be gettin better, :)

Been doing repulls all day. 7 of the buggers. Completely shattered.

Had a bloke come up to me today saying he bought a brand new samsung box on ebay and asked if virgin sold smart cards. I said no and asked if it was a 'dodgy' box, said no, sounded like a genuine guy. After a little bit of a chat with him, he understood it was now a fancy paper weight. :rolleyes::D

virgin_tech
12-11-2008, 21:59
lol, some ppl never learn... the repulls proberly wasnt what u wanted to do today lol.. council contractors cause most trouble here, but keeps you in a job :) i spose...

went to a job today service tech done a right botch job, he was proberly a contractor made in house lol ;) but made me late getting home so not really that funny :(

opentoideas
20-11-2008, 19:01
so as a customer with an installation query......

could you give me some advice?

as an existing broadband and phone (and ex TV)customer I have the cable point already but have just signed up for a V+ and a second standard box for upstairs to put back VM tv.

the main box is straightforward but I am in the process of renovating the house and the living room is last on the list. for now I would prefer the cable to be left loose to the box with a bit of slack so that I can feed it under the floor at a later date when I lift the floorboards. I am hoping that this should not be an issue.

the upstairs install is a bit more of a pain as that room is finished....

ideally I would put the box in the attic and run the scart cable down through the ceiling to the wall mounted tv. there is already a tv coax taking the route outside that could be sacraficed to pull the cable to the attic (I am hoping, like Sky, routing cables ouside the building is prefered to miles of cable around the inside of the house??)

this does rather depend on being able to get something like the sky remote eye to change channels with which I hope wont be too dificult

you folks may be looking at this praying you dont get this one :) but what guidelines are there for what you can do on an install? as a customer what is reasonable for me to expect and what is it not reasonable to ask for? I would rather get the box placements and cable routes figured out beforehand and everything cleared ready.

my theory being the easier I can make it for the installer the more chance that he might go that extra yard to get me the install I want, and if not then it still made it easier :)

mediamaker
20-11-2008, 20:24
Well we had two scruffs sorry Kelly contractors in a mot failure van came along couldnt be bothered to look to do the pull and then left and said non cable areas even though we have ducting to the house and neighbours have virgin media as shown in picture:

The white square bottom left is junction box on pavement then as you can see pavement runs all the way up road first one with a line to it is my property second is virgin media 2.5 times as far and Virgin "CON"struction said it needed a 50 metre dig

Download Failed (1)

piggy
22-11-2008, 22:10
Well we had two scruffs sorry Kelly contractors in a mot failure van came along couldnt be bothered to look to do the pull and then left and said non cable areas even though we have ducting to the house and neighbours have virgin media as shown in picture:

The white square bottom left is junction box on pavement then as you can see pavement runs all the way up road first one with a line to it is my property second is virgin media 2.5 times as far and Virgin "CON"struction said it needed a 50 metre dig

Download Failed (1)

nothing personal.....but with a attitude like yours i do hope you DONT get service, ALL of your posts are just moans and groans.

Jonnymeg
23-11-2008, 11:29
nothing personal.....but with a attitude like yours i do hope you DONT get service, ALL of your posts are just moans and groans.

I agree, i have already offered possible explanations but he is unwilling to entertain any other notion other than him being shafted by cowboys.

Welshchris
29-11-2008, 01:03
i cant grumble the engineers who did install in my new flat were fantastic, clean etc. But i do know of some who have had trouble. I know a woman who had just had brand new carpet fitted and a Engineer dragged mud all over the new carpet which cost her a massive cleaning bill for example.

on in an hour!
29-11-2008, 01:30
i cant grumble the engineers who did install in my new flat were fantastic, clean etc. But i do know of some who have had trouble. I know a woman who had just had brand new carpet fitted and a Engineer dragged mud all over the new carpet which cost her a massive cleaning bill for example.
thats why overshoes are provided :( if installer put the mud there then she should be in contact with cust servcs who will send round the contracts manager who should make an assesment and compensate her accordingly for payment of cleaning of the carpet.

---------- Post added at 01:30 ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 ----------

http://www.dv8-web.com/VirginLayout.JPG

you make it sound like they came and went in the blink of an eye,yet the last time i took my van for an MOT it took the nice gentleman at least 40 mins to complete the test before he actually failed it! :(
am i to believe they actually drove the van off the ramps whilst you were carrying out the MOT inspection? or is it as i suspect that you are making quite a sweeping statement in your initial analysis of said van,and its occupants,dont forget these guys get dirty in the execution (or not in your case) of their duties (unless of course your one of those new 'drive-by' MOT technicians) ;) or was it the fact that in the fleeting time they were at the pit, you requested,and they duly produced the MOT failure ticket? personally i would have been more concerned with whether they could have got the cable to my house,as oppose to checking their van for defects (but thats just me i suppose,i am a little funny that way!!)

th'engineer
17-12-2008, 17:53
I have to agree virgin_tech that installs are in my opinion getting worse now we have the new feature of a white virgin box in middle of bay window.

at one time they even changed our tapping on the street box because they could not get levels for new customer.

Which again brought me onto here and calls to local manager