PDA

View Full Version : Wii and Homebrew

moiraf100
11-11-2008, 19:47
Has anyone downloaded the Wiibrew software so they can access the Homebrew Channel on the Wii?.
I was looking into it last night, but I need to buy Zelda: Twilight Princess to make it work.
I'd just like to know if the homebrew games are any good before I make an investment, as I don't know if this is a game I'd ever play again.
Also, do you need to keep the game once you have the homebrew application working?
*edit*
You don't need to keep the game once you have the info you need from it - a saved game.

moiraf100
22-11-2008, 13:32
Well, I've done it.
Not sure yet how good it actually is, but it's there.
Had to buy the game, play to get a save, do the business, play it again, and that was it.
Now all I have to do is sell Zelda, hopefully not at a loss! :)

Slyder
13-01-2009, 21:37
Well, I've done it.
Not sure yet how good it actually is, but it's there.
Had to buy the game, play to get a save, do the business, play it again, and that was it.
Now all I have to do is sell Zelda, hopefully not at a loss! :)

Since no one has locked this, I'm assuming its ok to talk about?

Just wondering then, what "homebrew" have you got working. Is it worth me investing?.

Surely Nintendo will fix the exploit with a system update when connected to the net?

zing_deleted
13-01-2009, 21:42
Homebrew is only part of the story ;)

Tezcatlipoca
14-01-2009, 00:05
Since no one has locked this, I'm assuming its ok to talk about?

Just wondering then, what "homebrew" have you got working. Is it worth me investing?.

Surely Nintendo will fix the exploit with a system update when connected to the net?

AFAIK...

Running "Homebrew" on the Wii involves using a hacked Zelda game-save to "soft-mod" the console.

It doesn't enable you to run copied games (that still requires physical modding), it simply lets you use "Homebrew".

Nintendo's firmware updates do tend to break the ability to soft-mod, but as tends to be usual I believe that the people behind the soft-modding always then find a way around it.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Setting_up_your_Wii_for_Homebrew

I've got no problem with people discussing running "Homebrew", as AFAIK there is nothing illegal about that, just so long as it doesn't stray into discussing how to do anything such as playing copied games...

zing_deleted
17-01-2009, 22:20
Just installed the Homebrew channel using the Twilight hack and actually getting the homebrew channel installed is a peice of cake

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

If Mod or admin allows I could post the saved files required and instructions for installing the HB channel?

Slyder
23-01-2009, 20:47
If Mod or admin allows I could post the saved files required and instructions for installing the HB channel?

This would be handy. I read you need to of least played Zelda. Does this mean actually play the whole game all the way through, or just till you can save it.

zing_deleted
23-01-2009, 20:57
no just start the game come out of it once you get through the opening then erase the auto game save and copy over the correct modded save file. Restart the game and boot from the save file. Walk farwards to talk to the guy and see what happens. You have to get the correct save file for the version of TP you own

Slyder
25-01-2009, 19:25
Zing, I'm a little confused now. Taken from the offical Homebrew Channel site, they wrote.

"The Homebrew Channel is a channel for launching Wii homebrew applications without the need to run the Twilight Hack first."

Yet there readme clearly says

"The suggested way to install the Homebrew Channel is by using Zelda: The
Twilight Pricess"

So, do I need this game or not :confused: I'm guessing an old way of running homebrew was to execute the hack everytime and now its just a 1 time affair.

Plus I dont fancy paying £25 quid for a game of the Cex site which I dont fancy playing. Anywhere that sells this a bit cheaper ?

zing_deleted
25-01-2009, 19:48
There are installers but the Twilight hack is the easiest and safest way to run the hack. Borrow the game or rent it you only need to do it once.

Could do it for you as your only in Cov lol

Saaf_laandon_mo
26-01-2009, 16:58
I want to use the Wii (when I get it ) to watch DivXs so I assume I need to soft mod the console using the Zelda method? Will this allow me to watch movies off a drive plugged into the USB port on the Wii?

Will it effect online playability.

I would like to use my Wii as a media centre too to watch divx files. I dont want to compromise the Wiis ability to go online.

I can't use the built in Wifi to stream files off my PC can I?

Slyder
26-01-2009, 22:51
There are installers but the Twilight hack is the easiest and safest way to run the hack. Borrow the game or rent it you only need to do it once.

Could do it for you as your only in Cov lol

That's ok Zing.. I wouldnt want to trouble you mate. I would be confident in doing it myself.

Only thing is, my Wii is v3.4e.. and reading around, I would have to run the hack every time I wanted to run homebrew.

If im reading this correctly.. I could run the hack, run the AnyRegion software, downgrade and then I wouldnt have to execute the hack everytime. :confused:

zing_deleted
26-01-2009, 22:59
All I can go into detail here really is the Homebrew channel. I downgraded my firmware to 3.2e from 3.3e which my machine come with I then installed an update blocker and then some other stuff

Slyder
27-01-2009, 21:43
All I can go into detail here really is the Homebrew channel. I downgraded my firmware to 3.2e from 3.3e which my machine come with I then installed an update blocker and then some other stuff

I noticed the downgrading part, but surely some games will require a higher f/w to run :confused:

I'm assuming there are advantages to having 3.2e as oppose to 3.3e, as I know the hack works fine on both versions as per the readme. Any main advantages?.. feel free to pm me Zing.