PDA

View Full Version : Dead cordless phones?!?

Wild Oscar
11-11-2008, 16:07
Help .. any telephony engineers around here?

A strange thing happened yesterday when my Philips cordless phone packed up for no apparent reason!
I assumed that the phone itself was at fault and replaced it with another cordless .. this time a older BT model .. but that wouldn't connect either.
So out came an old Tevion (re-branded Binatone) corded and that works fine!!
I've done the usual checks .. both handset batteries are charged up nicely, all the cables seem to be fine etc etc .. but the cordless phones still refuse to connect!

I've had a search around for similar reports .. and the only clues I've found suggest that the cordless design depends on a certain voltage from the phone line (not the mains) to operate the wireless transmitter/reciever .. and that all the rain we've had has in some way affected these voltage rails.

Does anyone around here know more about this? .. Is this possible? .. it would be nice to know for sure!

Thanks for any insights folks!!

AntiSilence
11-11-2008, 16:22
The usual cause of dead phones is a lightning strike to the telephone lines. I used to repair Sharp cordless phones (the old analogue) ones and used to get no end of them.

Wild Oscar
12-11-2008, 22:43
Good point .. but only the first cordless was connected at the time! .. although both were connected to the mains .. maybe a spike there could have done it?

Nothing else was affected though .. PC was running all night quite happily for example.

Thanks for replying though!

AntiSilence
13-11-2008, 16:08
I don't see any reason why the second phone wouldn't work, unless it's a strange coincidence.