PDA

View Full Version : The final ride...

Mal
09-11-2008, 22:24
...for the Corkscrew at Alton Towers, after 28 years. I am feeling old now, as I remember it being opened and going on it, when on a school trip.

Hundreds of people have taken their final rides on an iconic rollercoaster in Staffordshire.

The Corkscrew at Alton Towers, which was Europe's first double-looped rollercoaster, is to be dismantled after 28 years in service.

The theme park closed for the season last weekend, but reopened for the special celebration of the attraction.

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/7718618.stm)

SnoopZ
09-11-2008, 22:44
When i went on it this summer i walked right on it as no queue and it looked like it needed a hell of a paint job. It wasn't a thrill anymore like the other rides and i thought they should get rid of it, its a good thing really.

Mal
09-11-2008, 22:47
But at the time, it was top of it's class. A bit of nostalgia...

Alien
09-11-2008, 22:50
I never had the guts to go on it :o: [or anything else that goes upside down]. The Black Hole was ok though.

pedantic
09-11-2008, 23:15
I am feeling old now

That's because you are old. :PP:

I remember going on the corkscrew many moons ago carrying a six pack, not a great idea, especially when they hit the carriage floor, and showered everyone with Boddingtons best, including me and my mate.

Oh happy days! :D

Mal
10-11-2008, 00:10
That's because you are old. :PP:

I remember going on the corkscrew many moons ago carrying a six pack, not a great idea, especially when they hit the carriage floor, and showered everyone with Boddingtons best, including me and my mate.

Oh happy days! :DNot as old as you and I base that comment on things that you have said in the past ;)

Call it karma or whatever for you getting covered in Boddingtons, just for buying the stuff :sick:

pedantic
10-11-2008, 00:49
Not as old as you and I base that comment on things that you have said in the past ;)

I'm convinced you have a dossier on me. :D

Call it karma or whatever for you getting covered in Boddingtons, just for buying the stuff :sick:

Hey! If it's good enough for Melanie Sykes, it's good enough for me. ;)

Nidge
10-11-2008, 05:25
...for the Corkscrew at Alton Towers, after 28 years. I am feeling old now, as I remember it being opened and going on it, when on a school trip.

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/7718618.stm)

I can remember going there the first weekend when the corkscrew opened, we qued for hours to be the first to ride it, when they opened it the thing wouldn't go, we waited all day in the rain then decided to go home. The next day we seen someone who was there that day and they said they got it going about 5pm and that most of the people had gone home, they stayed there till 6.30 riding the corkscrew.:mad: It's a shame they are taking it down it was one of the best rides in the UK.

mentalis
10-11-2008, 07:56
Sounds like when I was at Alton Towers waiting for the new Rita ride. Queue for ages, in the rain, for a ride that was not running at full speed; then the ride broke down.

Went on the corkscrew, by which time Rita was back up and running at full speed. Sad to see it go, but it has had its time and done a good service.

romfordpele
10-11-2008, 08:21
I will always remember the Jim will fix it episode ewhen the scouts went on it and eat their food and drinks. I also remember waiting ages to go on the ride

Druchii
10-11-2008, 09:19
Loved that ride. Saw it get stuck with people hanging upside down many years ago... Scary!

zing_deleted
10-11-2008, 09:19
I will always remember the Jim will fix it episode ewhen the scouts went on it and eat their food and drinks. I also remember waiting ages to go on the ride

That was the revolution at blackpool iirc

lauzjp
10-11-2008, 09:39
I never had the guts to go on it :o: [or anything else that goes upside down]. The Black Hole was ok though.

I wussed out of the corkscrew too, but I did manage to almost fall out of the Black Hole - wasn't strapped in! :shocked:

Years later I managed Colussus at thorpe park though :D