PDA

View Full Version : Moving VM box

rickyg01
09-11-2008, 21:19
I'm currently needing to relocate the tv to other side of room, however the White wire from box on wall to VM box isnt long enough.. is there a website were i can buy a new wire from?

craggy
09-11-2008, 21:48
I think Maplins sell the cable, make sure you know what you are doing though. I'm not even sure if Virgin allow you to do it without voiding any warranty, etc

rickyg01
09-11-2008, 22:06
well im sure changing a wire from short to long isnt messing with anything

chickendippers
09-11-2008, 22:09
Changing the cable length will alter the signal level, potentially causing problems with picture breakup, loss of program guide information and on demand facilities. There is also the chance of introducing feedback into the network adversely affecting your neighbours too.

You can always give it a go and see what happens.

Halcyon
09-11-2008, 22:19
If it is just a few metres extra, there shouldnt be a major difference. If however you are talking about 10 metres or more and the end's to the cables are not fitted properly, you could cause problems for not only yourself but others on the Virgin network.

If you know what you are doing and it is only a short distance, go for it.
Note, if you mess anything up, you are doing this against Virgin T&C so you will be on your own on that one.

If you don't know how to fit it, call VM and they will do it for you and also check your signal levels to make sure all is OK.

rickyg01
09-11-2008, 22:23
well its ony a few extra meters so cant hurt to try, what type of cable is it?

JayJay
11-11-2008, 23:22
Decent coax cable :)

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 23:27
its not just the coax the main thing is getting the rf conectors crimped on properly, if you see a vrigin van in the area most will kindly sort you a lengh out, other than that mmm cause a problem with your phone so they come out to fix it then ask them.. naughty but it works :)

JayJay
11-11-2008, 23:31
bribes go down well in the form of food... drink... charitable donations :)

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 23:35
a bacon butty will certanly do it, throw in a coffee and you can have the reel :)