PDA

View Full Version : Non cable area

ze0n
08-11-2008, 18:27
Hey,

Moving on Monday and the home is allegedly in a 'non cable area'. Every house on the street has cable but not this one. The online postcode checker says no cable, and sales team say I can't get it either. But the house I'm moving to is a semi detatched, and the front wall has a brown cable box on for next door! Also theres one of those green cabin things at the end of the street and a Nynex grid.

Any help as to what I could do?

Thanks

Chris
08-11-2008, 19:03
Oh dear ...

Have you rented or bought this house? If you bought it, did the survey identify any wayleave granted for your neighbour to get cable via your house's external wall box? Is the neighbour actually getting cable service through the box?

I think you need to get the area installs manager to send someone to visually confirm the situation, because it sounds messy and could land you in all sorts of bother if your neighbour is actually using the hook-up, and it breaks down at some point in the future and VM want access to your property in order to fix it.

I know this advice has been posted on here in the past, but I'm not certain how you go about finding your area installs manager. Hopefully one of our VM staff members can advise how you track down the Manchester area installs people.

ze0n
08-11-2008, 20:17
Yeah it's bought. The box is actually on their side (just!) so it is theirs. I just dont get why they (5) and every other house except us (7) can get cable?

Chris
08-11-2008, 23:10
There could be any number of reasons, and it's hard to know why without seeing the physical location. It is not unheard of for VM to be able to install somewhere even when 'computer says no-oh'. I'd imagine the people you've spoken to so far have all been relying on the computer. As I said, you need to persuade the installs manager to come and see it, or to send someone to visually confirm whether installation is impossible. If either side of you have it, and you're in a standard street of semis, with nothing in any way different about the layout of your drive or the placing of your house on the plot, it's hard to see why they wouldn't be able to do it.

Hang around here a while, someone will be able to tell you how to find your regional installs people.