PDA

View Full Version : WinPcap

ntljc
07-11-2008, 18:58
I have recently installed the Netgear router supplied by VM. To-day, Secunia PSI (a security product) has scanned my system & detected an "end-of-life" program - WinPcap. This, I believe, was installed along with the software supplied by VM during the install. It is version 3.1.0.27, current version of the product is 4.0.2.
Will I get problems with other VM software if I update to this?

Gary L
07-11-2008, 19:48
I can't see there being any problem or conflicts if you do. even if you did you can reinstall the older version.

ntljc
08-11-2008, 00:10
Thanks Gary L.

I do not use wireless at the moment & I have removed the Wireless Manager software which itself removed WinPcap.
I have used an older Linksys router with wireless, setting it up manually.The VM router might require their software for wireless I suppose (perhaps this is why the router has VM's own firmware) & that might be an obstacle.

Thanks again.

brundles
08-11-2008, 00:14
Not sure why any router would require WinPCap on it - and I'd be a bit dubious about any software from VM that did (although I might be being paranoid). The main time I've seen it is as part of an Ethereal/Wireshark install - something designed to capture internet packets for later dissection.

Gary L
08-11-2008, 00:18
You really don't need any software of Virgin medias to make anything with the router work. it will happily work and connect without it.

ntljc
08-11-2008, 18:02
Yes I can modify necessary settings via 192.168.1.1. I can also confirm (by installing & then removing) that installing the Virgin Broadband Wireless software ("Wireless Manager") also installs WinPcap. I have removed the software.
Thanks both.