PDA

View Full Version : Different signals from 2 VM setups and losing data?

carpeni
06-11-2008, 22:38
Posted a thread on 4/11 thinking we had problem with router dropping data - but further testing has shown two different VM modems/connections behaving differently.
On my home setup - with a connection to modem with a router I cannot access pages on a specific website. Without the router, ie direct link to modem, the pages can be downloaded.
I then took PC and router to another VM setup about half mile away. Put my router onto their modem, attached PC and I could access pages OK and friend could access on their PC through my router.

So it appears that the signal out of my modem is not same as friends.

Called VM and they tested modem which showed downstream voltage as 12.3Dbmv and they said was too high - booked engineer today and changed modem but still have problem. They are going to change the "taps"(right terminology?) connection over and then drop voltage - but they are unsure if this will do the trick and said that if this does not work they can't do any more as the PC to modem works OK and aren't responsible for other equipment ie router. But I've proved router works on alternative VM connection.

So may still have no answer but unsure what I can do next as VM say everything is OK and I can't run home network and see web pages - and also a bit concerned in cases it happens on future sites.

Any ideas / suggestions.
Thanks
Ian

xspeedyx
06-11-2008, 23:21
Have you got chance to try another router?

carpeni
07-11-2008, 10:14
yes on 2 - happens on both routers.

carpeni
07-11-2008, 19:25
Now tried it with modem of next door neighboor and it is same when I replicate setup ie with router no download, without it works - two different routers which work OK with VM connection half a mile away.
Strange!!