PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Cable Modem

poorondaice
06-11-2008, 10:43
Here's a general query.

I'm sorry I can't quote serial numbers for modem's at the moment, but is it only possible for Virgin Media to perform hard resets on modems from the other end of the cable line?

A friend of mine replaced a perfectly good motherboard because the modem wasn't issuing a DHCP address to his computer. It was issuing addresses to his Xbox 360, but not his PC. We tried the old motherboard, no luck and we tried the new motherboard, no luck.

In the end we had to ring Virgin Media to perform a hard reset on the modem because I couldn't locate a hard reset switch on the device.

After speaking to the person on the other end, they did say that the modem was holding on to the old mac address details for the network and wasn't releasing them and the only way to fix this was a hard reset.

Is this standard Virgin Media policy with modems? Do customers have to ring Virgin to get hard reset's on their devices performed?

Thanks for any help.

whydoIneedatech
06-11-2008, 10:46
Here's a general query.

I'm sorry I can't quote serial numbers for modem's at the moment, but is it only possible for Virgin Media to perform hard resets on modems from the other end of the cable line?

A friend of mine replaced a perfectly good motherboard because the modem wasn't issuing a DHCP address to his computer. It was issuing addresses to his Xbox 360, but not his PC. We tried the old motherboard, no luck and we tried the new motherboard, no luck.

In the end we had to ring Virgin Media to perform a hard reset on the modem because I couldn't locate a hard reset switch on the device.

After speaking to the person on the other end, they did say that the modem was holding on to the old mac address details for the network and wasn't releasing them and the only way to fix this was a hard reset.

Is this standard Virgin Media policy with modems? Do customers have to ring Virgin to get hard reset's on their devices performed?

Thanks for any help.
Not heard of a hard reset from our end, we can remotely reboot Telewest modems if they come up in our software or we can clear the host table on the uBR.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.
Open a browser and in the address bar put or click the link > http://192.168.100.1/ the password and username are both root if required.
What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.
DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kymmy
06-11-2008, 10:48
I recently had tech support reset my modem due to DHCP issues, Tech support guy said that they had the option to reset the config (remote reset) where as a power reset leaves the config alone

poorondaice
06-11-2008, 10:50
Well when I spoke to support yesterday, the did something to the modem from their end. The modem flashed on and off and the computer was trying to obtain a DHCP and then stopped trying to obtain and then tried again.

Virgin were definately doing something to the modem, but the person on the other end did say that the modem had been remembering its previous connection settings and wasn't clearing them from memory. He had even left the modem turn off and the cable line unplugged for well over 24 hours and it still rememberd its setting, even though it was fully unplugged.

If the modem does remember its setting from its previous connection to the Virgin Network, how does support clear them off if they don't perform hard resets?

Thanks

utt
06-11-2008, 12:25
Here's a general query.

Thanks for any help.

Could you confirm how you have set this up and what modem type it is

Turkey Machine
06-11-2008, 13:01
A hard reset with these new Ambit 25x modems is to switch them off at the mains, leave it for 1 minute, switch it back on again.

Thomas.Fisk
06-11-2008, 13:02
Uh, all you needed to do was unplug the modem and plug it back in.

whydoIneedatech
06-11-2008, 13:17
I recently had tech support reset my modem due to DHCP issues, Tech support guy said that they had the option to reset the config (remote reset) where as a power reset leaves the config alone
Only 2nd line support can do that.:)

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

A hard reset with these new Ambit 25x modems is to switch them off at the mains, leave it for 1 minute, switch it back on again.
We do that for all modems, no matter what model or brand

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Well when I spoke to support yesterday, the did something to the modem from their end. The modem flashed on and off and the computer was trying to obtain a DHCP and then stopped trying to obtain and then tried again.

Virgin were definately doing something to the modem, but the person on the other end did say that the modem had been remembering its previous connection settings and wasn't clearing them from memory. He had even left the modem turn off and the cable line unplugged for well over 24 hours and it still rememberd its setting, even though it was fully unplugged.

If the modem does remember its setting from its previous connection to the Virgin Network, how does support clear them off if they don't perform hard resets?

Thanks
I take you are EX-Telewest as I said above we have remote access to reboot your modem on First line.