PDA

View Full Version : 20MB Everywhere yet?

Shez
06-11-2008, 10:18
Lo guys,

i've been with (Telewest, blueyonder, VM) since it was first available in my area, which is a fair few years now.

At the moment I am on the XL package, and took up that option as soon as it was available.

I pay £37 a month for a broadband only service.

I live in the tf1 area of Telford, Shropshire and seem to be stuck on the old 10MB speed/service. My question is are all areas now upgraded to 20MB or are there still some to be upgraded?

The last time I looked into this, Wolverhampton was still to be upgraded, and Telford fell under that bracket.

It's been over 18 months since the first 20MB where rolled out, and that is when my monthly payment went up from 35 to 37, so what gives here. Am I still paying extra for a service that isnt avaliable, or is it now available, but i'm just not getting the speed?.

At the moment I get 950kb/sec peak speed from gamefiles.

Any info, much appreciated.

g0mit
06-11-2008, 10:22
Phone customer serves and ask them for a better deal
George

Noggo
06-11-2008, 10:23
My bet is (as you're been with Telewest from the start, the same as me) you're got a SB4100 modem and it's incompatible with XL broadband.

I've also got another bet but I'll save that for later :).

whydoIneedatech
06-11-2008, 10:34
Lo guys,

i've been with (Telewest, blueyonder, VM) since it was first available in my area, which is a fair few years now.

At the moment I am on the XL package, and took up that option as soon as it was available.

I pay £37 a month for a broadband only service.

I live in the tf1 area of Telford, Shropshire and seem to be stuck on the old 10MB speed/service. My question is are all areas now upgraded to 20MB or are there still some to be upgraded?

The last time I looked into this, Wolverhampton was still to be upgraded, and Telford fell under that bracket.

It's been over 18 months since the first 20MB where rolled out, and that is when my monthly payment went up from 35 to 37, so what gives here. Am I still paying extra for a service that isnt avaliable, or is it now available, but i'm just not getting the speed?.

At the moment I get 950kb/sec peak speed from gamefiles.

Any info, much appreciated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.
Open a browser and in the address bar put or click the link > http://192.168.100.1/ the password and username are both root if required.
What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.
DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

telfordcable
06-11-2008, 12:20
Hi, I am in TF7 and there is already 20Megabits here:

Thu, 6 Nov 2008 12:14:04 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 437 ms = 2343.2 KB/sec, approx 19308 Kbps, 18.86 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 421 ms = 2432.3 KB/sec, approx 20042 Kbps, 19.57 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 422 ms = 2426.5 KB/sec, approx 19994 Kbps, 19.53 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 858 ms = 2386.9 KB/sec, approx 19668 Kbps, 19.21 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 19753 Kbps, 19.29 Mbps

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/02075782.png (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk)

Noggo
06-11-2008, 12:54
My question is are all areas now upgraded to 20MB or are there still some to be upgraded?.

Yep all areas are now upgraded to 20Meg. I think it's been just under a year since the whole of the network was complete, but my connection in Kidderminster it was some time late September / earlier October last year.

Shez
06-11-2008, 13:09
My bet is (as you're been with Telewest from the start, the same as me) you're got a SB4100 modem and it's incompatible with XL broadband.

I've also got another bet but I'll save that for later :).

Thanks for all the replys, im at work now, but this I can answer, as I am almost certain it is.

Oh man, that a bit embarassing if thats all it is.

So what do I need to be looking at replacing it with, any recommendations?

telfordcable
06-11-2008, 13:20
You need a new Modem that support 20Mbps !!!! Mine is Abit 256 modem

whydoIneedatech
06-11-2008, 13:20
Thanks for all the replys, im at work now, but this I can answer, as I am almost certain it is.

Oh man, that a bit embarassing if thats all it is.

So what do I need to be looking at replacing it with, any recommendations?
What model is the modem

Noggo
06-11-2008, 13:37
Does it look like this:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/11/52.gif

Please note the above picture if for illustration purposes only (VM one has flashing green `online' LED :D)

If you do find out that it is an incompatible 20Meg modem,
First get in touch with Tech Support, either via telephone or newsgroup support and get a replacement one sent to you FOC. If you do need a engineer to come out and replace it for you I think there may be a charge.

Secondly after you have the new compatible modem up and running, complain to customer services and ask for some compensation, due to the fact that you're been paying for XL 20Meg broadband and you haven't been supplied a modem capable of delivering that service. At best you only going to get somewhere around 12Meg

I would aim to get the price difference between XL and L broadband packages, multiplied by the number of months since upgrade took place. I think is currently £37 for XL - £25 for L, which is £12 / month.

May be Telfordcable could shed some light on to when the 20Meg upgrade took place?

Shez
06-11-2008, 13:49
That's the one I have Noggo - Exactly the same.

telfordcable
06-11-2008, 13:57
I am currently paying £26 a month for broadband XL only that I took that offer for 12 months of £26 a month deal.

The engineering of Virgin Media come here and gave me a new modem Abit 256 and set up new 20Mb and cable in my computer room. That's time I was signed up £26 a month with free wireless router as well. That's managed well of 18.9Mb on my wireless laptop.

I never had any problem with 20Mb speed since last June 2008. Always at 19Mb never let me down yet or throttling me yet. :)

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

Sorry folk it was actually Ambit 256 modem I have. (not Abit) as the engineer man told me that modem Ambit 256 is the latest modem that will support 50Megabits speed and support docsis 3 compatible !

Boabyboy
06-11-2008, 14:25
Oh, I thought the new Ambit VM 256 cable modems were only suitable for 20 Mbit broadband. I am sure I saw a thread somewhere in CF was a display of the new VM cable modem that is needed to replace the previous modem for the consumer to use the 50 Mbit service. Hey, Thumbs up for Noggo for his/her SB4100 cable modem illustration. :-)

Noggo
06-11-2008, 14:31
Telfordcable, I take it you upgraded from a lower tier in June 08, since you're been a member since April 07 and only had 20Meg since June 08. But can you remember what month and year (07 or 08) Virgin Media upgraded XL from 10Meg to 20Meg in the Telford area.

Or anyone else know the answer to when Telford area had it's XL 10Meg to 20Meg upgrade?

whydoIneedatech
06-11-2008, 14:36
Oh, I thought the new Ambit VM 256 cable modems were only suitable for 20 Mbit broadband. I am sure I saw a thread somewhere in CF was a display of the new VM cable modem that is needed to replace the previous modem for the consumer to use the 50 Mbit service. Hey, Thumbs up for Noggo for his/her SB4100 cable modem illustration. :-)
Supposedly capable of up to 42MB but is not the modem for 50MB

Virgin Media has started rolling out its new standard modem across the network (ex-NTL areas currently, ex-Telewest areas from summer 2008). The model is the Ambit 256 modem which supports up to Docsis 2.0 with up to a 42Mbps downstream data rate. This is not the modem for the forthcoming 50mb trial and is not Docsis 3 ready. The modem is the follow on from the most recent 255 model supplied across ex-NTL area's of the network. The modem will only support Ethernet connections and is designed to utilise the plug and play aspects of its DHCP network to provide "CD-less" installs. This modem will also form the basis of all "Quick Start" self installs across the network from the end of summer 2008.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noggo
06-11-2008, 14:37
Thumbs up for Noggo for his/her SB4100 cable modem illustration. :-)

The picture or the end part of the sentence underneath :)

whydoIneedatech
06-11-2008, 14:38
That's the one I have Noggo - Exactly the same.
If you are on 20MB then you need to call Tech Support now to get an Ambit 256 ordered.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.
For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:
Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.
Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

telfordcable
06-11-2008, 14:48
Yes I was on 10Meg before June 2008.

I am pretty sure that Ambit 256 does support 50Meg, if it only support 42Meg then time for upgrade to new modem to pay !!

But, I will not paying 50Meg at £50 a month if there is a new traffic management on 50Meg as it pointless. Probably staying and stick with my 20Meg until my 12 months contract is up (june 2009) to avoid price of £36 a month and might downgrade to 10Meg for lower price at £24 a month.

Because I will not paying more than £26 a month on broadband only.

Noggo
06-11-2008, 14:48
I think I read somewhere on the '50Mbit rollout has started' thread that the new docsis 3 is backwards compatible with 2 and 1, so 20Meg XL could be put on to the new 50Meg system. Although this doesn't make the old Ambit 256 docsis 3 compatible, but the docsis 3 system compatible with Ambit and other 20Meg compatible modems.

Shez
06-11-2008, 17:44
Right, I'm back at home now, and it's actually the sb3100 I have not the 4100.

So I called VM, and the guy was sound enough, has ordered me a new modem, and said I will be able to claim accordingly once it has been installed.

I think he nearly fell of his chair when I said which one I had, said i'd be lucky to get 8mb, but obviously I can get a little over that from the right server.

Anyway, i'll let you know how I get on with the money side of things, but thanks to everyone for your help :)

Noggo
06-11-2008, 18:42
I've got a feeling Telford got upgraded the about time as Kidderminster (Bromsgrove UBR) did, which would make it around September / October 2007. But it would help to find out the actual date though. I suppose you could always ask VM when you do speak to them.

Lets hope when the new modem is installed, you actually get what you pay for around 20Mb like Telfordcable does.

whydoIneedatech
06-11-2008, 19:08
Right, I'm back at home now, and it's actually the sb3100 I have not the 4100.

So I called VM, and the guy was sound enough, has ordered me a new modem, and said I will be able to claim accordingly once it has been installed.

I think he nearly fell of his chair when I said which one I had, said i'd be lucky to get 8mb, but obviously I can get a little over that from the right server.

Anyway, i'll let you know how I get on with the money side of things, but thanks to everyone for your help :)
A very rare find indeed, spray it gold and give it pride of place.:D

joglynne
06-11-2008, 19:50
Tracked down the old 20Mb thread and post 112ish seems to give you a date to use to negotiate for any compensation.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33619186-remaining-20-meg-upgrade-areas-post-34380563.html?highlight=telford#post34380563

Noggo
07-11-2008, 09:24

Well if they have the SB3100 down as only getting 8Mb, quote that when you ring or is that evil (:redcard:).

So it looks like the upgrade took place some time at the end of August 07.

Zhadnost
07-11-2008, 10:42
Silly point, but the SB 3100 has only got a 10BaseT uplink port (although could theoretically sync at up to 38MBit), so was never going to support anything faster. 8Mbit sounds about right.

Noggo
07-11-2008, 12:01
Silly point, but the SB 3100 has only got a 10BaseT uplink port (although could theoretically sync at up to 38MBit), so was never going to support anything faster. 8Mbit sounds about right.

Good Point :tu:. So it wouldn't be evil afterall to state 8Mb http://cache.hyves-static.net/images/smilies/default/smiley_devil.gif.

Plus run through the VM 20Mb Broadband optimisation as well after new modem is installed.
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

Shez
07-11-2008, 15:43
Thanks for all the replies, am just waiting for the new modem to arrive, which I forgot to ask how long would take to arrive, but I guess next week sometime.

Noggo
07-11-2008, 18:16
I'm new modem turned up within 3/4 days via Parcel Force, but I think the fella who ordered it for me said it may take anything upto 2 weeks.

Noggo
14-11-2008, 17:31
Just read the start of my last post above `I'm new modem...' :LOL:
should have said `My new modem...'.

Shez, has the new modem turned up yet. If it has, has it improved things.

Shez
15-11-2008, 04:19
Yah got the modem on Monday, however after calling to get it activated, it turned out they didn't have the mac address on their system yet.

24 hours later and it was sorted.

Speed wise, well it's a bit all over the shop at peak hours - However at 4am in the morning i.e now: It is going at an avg of 1.80MB/s and peaked at 2.08MB/s

Now I gotta call customer support and see about some refunds :)

Shez
25-11-2008, 18:28
For those interested, I have been told I must write to VM head office.

Customer support staff can't refund more than 6 months over the phone (is what the young lady said to me) It has to be done from head office.

I've just drafted a letter together, so will see what they have to say, and how much I am refunded.

To think, I still wouldn't have had a clue about this if I hadn't of happened to post here :)

BenMcr
25-11-2008, 18:35
quicker option is www.virginmedia.com/contact (http://www.virginmedia.com/contact) and fill in the complaints bit ;)

The lady was wrong though. All credits should be resolved on the phone.

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

Would like to point out when the XL BB was upgraded to 20Mbit, everyone was sent a letter to tell them to check their modem was compatible, the same info was on the customer zone on virgin's website and just as they did with the recent 10Mbit upgrade, they had the evenfaster page up.

Shez
25-11-2008, 19:17
Well, she went ahead and gave me the exact address to write too (which is different to the one listen under the complaints section on the contact page), including reference numbers. She also said it had been noted on the system and they will be aware of it at head office.

It's an odd thing to tell me to do that if she could have done the refund over the phone. If you're sure you're right, i'll add that into my letter as a late addition. Are you sure?

As for a compatibility letter from VM. I never did receive one - I wouldn't be in this position now if I had of :)

BenMcr
25-11-2008, 19:19
Seriously that link goes to the only Complaints team Virgin have lol

Noggo
26-11-2008, 11:20
Customer support staff can't refund more than 6 months over the phone (is what the young lady said to me) It has to be done from head office.

Yes I was told that the most customer support staff could refund was 6 months and if you felt it wasn't enough it had to be passed on further up the chain. Mine was done over the phone, I've no idea about their location as they rang me. Just seam strange that it couldn't had been sorted out over the phone. It might be a case of who you get in customer services, I don't know. It may be worth including a note about not being able to sort it out over the phone. You could always ring again and confirm that a letter is the correct way of sorting it out.

Would like to point out when the XL BB was upgraded to 20Mbit, everyone was sent a letter to tell them to check their modem was compatible, the same info was on the customer zone on virgin's website and just as they did with the recent 10Mbit upgrade, they had the evenfaster page up.

I never got a letter asking me to check the modem otherwise I would have done. Luckily mine was sorted within two months because I complained about lack of speed, among with other things. Which in the end turned out to be mostly down to oversubscription and part due to the modem as well, but at least first thing in the morning I could get over 14Mb/s for the first time. And as for posting the info on the webby, the large majority of customers only check there once they're know about the problem and not beforehand. A bit like T&C's changes that happen, you don't get notified of the changes, it just gets amended on the website e.g. STM implementation and subsequent changes in times/limits and if I remember correctly changing them to make it more Phorm friendly (as the massive Phorm thread is no longer available I can't check).

BenMcr
26-11-2008, 16:22
I never got a letter asking me to check the modem otherwise I would have done[/quote[
It was the same letter that told customers the price would go up by £2

[quote]A bit like T&C's changes that happen, you don't get notified of the changes, it just gets amended on the website e.g. STM implementation and subsequent changes in times/limits and if I remember correctly changing them to make it more Phorm friendly (as the massive Phorm thread is no longer available I can't check).
The T&Cs have not changed since it became Virgin Media. The 'changes because of Phorm' story was WRONG (which is why cableforum removed it after I told them ;) )

I do agree though that the changes to the Traffic Managment need to be sent out rather than just posted