PDA

View Full Version : tv ariel

STEPH
05-11-2008, 17:52
i dont know wether i am in a correct forum for this question but i have recently noticed that there is water coming out of the end of my tv ariel!!!
i was wondering if anyone had ever had this problem and could tell me
what the cause may be?

demented
05-11-2008, 18:01
Yeap. When installing an aerial installers should include what is referred to as a "drop loop" to make sure the water doesn't run all the way down if compromised. A lot of aerial installers unfortunately seem not to do this. Old installations get water in the cable. My old girlfriend's tv aerial cable was compromised by water making the signal poor.

Kymmy
05-11-2008, 18:02
Water's getting into the top of the antenna (where the co-ax joins the antenna) and running down the inside of the cable. This poses a few problems like

Risk of electrical shock
corrosion of the cable
lowering the signal strength

Best if possible to get it looked at right away, or if you;re planning on doing it yourself you need to seal up the junction box on the antenna and replace the co-ax...

demented
05-11-2008, 18:05
Fire risk. Make sure when it is reinstalled that a drop loop is installed on the cabling if it isn't already.

Kymmy
05-11-2008, 18:08
Drop loops only work for water on the outside of the cable, on the inside it has very little effect...The water needs to be stopped before it gets into the cable

Taf
05-11-2008, 18:12
Once the water is in, you almost always need to replace ALL the cable, but a neat trick is to blow dry air through it for a few hours (use a vacuum cleaner or whatever) then seal the top end.

nffc
05-11-2008, 18:37
Great, ariel, water, all you need now is a washing machine :D

/me gets coat

Seriously, you'll probably need to get that aerial lead changed, since liquid ingress isn't good (and make sure they seal the joints and make a drop loop this time).