PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about the phone service please

Retrovertigo
05-11-2008, 17:49
Virgin called me today asking if I wanted to add the phone package to my XL broadband and pay £29 per month for 6 months and then £39 from then on.

They seemed a bit short on information though. At the minute I am on BT's package that gives free landline (local and national) calls 24/7 and wondered if Virgins definitely is a match for this?

Also my financial circumstances may change next June or so. If I sign up now for 12 months how do I stand with virgin if I wanted to reduce the broadband side of things to lower payments. Will they tie me to the 12 months of the full package or will they allow me to alter the package. This was something the guy who called didn't seem to know the answer to.

It's tempting because I'll save money. But I have been caught out with gas, electricity etc in the past - where it sounded rosey but I ended up saving no money at all - or the customer services were awful.

B.T aren't what they once were customer service wise, but they are still pretty good at sorting me out.

Thanks for any advice.

Turkey Machine
05-11-2008, 18:12
The phone line from Virgin is £11/month, and from what I've read, not a patch on BTs service. Stick with them (BT).

What are you currently paying?

whydoIneedatech
05-11-2008, 18:33
I have had the phone service for over 14 years without a problem and my line is as clear as a bell with no crackling buzzing as with a BT line sometimes.

Retrovertigo
06-11-2008, 00:12
I'm currently paying £18pm for my B.T landline. That's free calls both national and local to any regular numbers. As far as I know it doesn'y include any 08 numbers at all but I would need to check.

I'm also paying a reduced price for my XL package with VM at the moment because of a continued lack of poor speeds in the heavily student populated area I live in. They are charging me £29 per month for the next 12 months. So all in I would only save £9 per month once that initial 6 month off was over.

Still undecided because I am quite a heavy phone user and want to keep the same quality I have now to be honest. Plus of course services like 1571 and also that B.T auto block my out going number for me.

FairyFairy
07-11-2008, 08:17
The Virgin phone line is beautifully clear. I couldn't believe the difference when we were connected (from BT)

The charges are all listed on the Customer Zone and we are finding that the landline to mobile costs are high (we spoke to a mobile for 40-45 mins - can't remember exactly how long now - and it was £5 odd.

We are now making other arrangements for that phoning another way.

We are on M, the basic package where some numbers are included at weekends. 08 numbers (supposedly low cost calls) are not included and they work out expensive as well.

..... I meant to say that having the whole package phone/broadband/tv has meant that our costs are very good (apart from the above) For the same cost of my broadband and BT we now get tv - and that includes the V+ costs - so we are winning

Jazz Hands!
02-12-2008, 22:16
I'm currently paying £18pm for my B.T landline. That's free calls both national and local to any regular numbers. As far as I know it doesn'y include any 08 numbers at all but I would need to check.

I'm also paying a reduced price for my XL package with VM at the moment because of a continued lack of poor speeds in the heavily student populated area I live in. They are charging me £29 per month for the next 12 months. So all in I would only save £9 per month once that initial 6 month off was over.

Still undecided because I am quite a heavy phone user and want to keep the same quality I have now to be honest. Plus of course services like 1571 and also that B.T auto block my out going number for me.

Hi there

Virgin use fibre optic lines so you'll have no issues with the quality of your calls.

They're really flexible with the call plans, too, if you're looking for unlimited landlines, etc.

As for 1571 and autoblocking your number, they're both available on Virgin, however a tiny (and I mean tiny) percentage of people can't get 1571 so I'd need to check for you.

Jazz Hands!