PDA

View Full Version : Problems in Lincoln

GazCBG
05-11-2008, 00:07
Over the last 24hrs my net access has been slow, but for the afternoon and it was ok but has gone slow again

I am in Lincoln/Lincolnshire and wonder if anyone else had any problem.
There is nothing on the status, but when I spoke with someone this morning they told me it was a network problem.
I was also wondering if anyone knows what going on.

My levels are:
Downstream Receive Power Level: 8.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR: 42.1 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level: 48.0 dBmV

General Maximus
05-11-2008, 02:01
I am in Lincoln as well and everything has been alright for the most part. I downloaded some stuff from torrents this morning and had no problem pulling 1.5mb/sec. The only thing i did notice is that when i used the newsgroups my speed kept dieing to 30k/sec all morning. It went up to 600k/sec early afternoon and then back to normal (2.2mb/sec). Apart from the newsgroups it has been fine all day for downloading and gaming.

This is my first post although I have been reading stuff in this forum for years. I just want to add that despite problems people have with their connections all the time with speed and reliability, I have always had ntl's/vm's top BB package and i have always been able to get my max speed. I guess I am one of the lucky ones and live in the right area :) The only thing I am always happy to moan about is their tech support. I end up ringing them once a year when my connection dies and instead of just saying that they are either doing maintenance or have a problem, the muppets on the phone tell me that it is my pc at fault. In the end I give up arguing with them and give them a couple of hours to fix the problem and everyone is happy.

Apart from that slight niggle, I am a happy customer (waiting to be stm free on 50mbit)

---------- Post added at 02:01 ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 ----------

Btw, my levels for my modem are nearly exactly the same as yours so i don't think anything is wrong with yours. My modem has always worked alright and I have always been able to get my max speed.

GazCBG
05-11-2008, 10:58
Got a tech coming out today to fix it.
The person on the phone said something about something being to low or was it to high it one of them

General Maximus
05-11-2008, 13:23
lol, send them round to me when you are done the because it means i am screwed as well :)

These are my levels:

Downstream Receive Power: 7.2
Downstream SNR: 42.5
Upsream Receive Power: 45

Although they are bit high compared to other peoples it is because we are using the 256QAM modulation.

As I said, my modem and speeds have always been 100% so i don't think the dude coming round is going to fix your problem.

Axegrinder
05-11-2008, 13:35
Those power levels are fine.

GazCBG
05-11-2008, 13:54
He just been round and changed the modem it seems fine now.
From a 250 to a 256.
Time will tell if it fixed

These are the readings on the new modem
Downstream Receive Power Level: 8.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR: 41.5 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level: 48.0 dBmV

Nearly the same as the old modem

General Maximus
05-11-2008, 15:45
I have got a 256 as well. I am all for the "if it ain't broken don't fix it" mentality but i had to upgrade my modem when we switched to 20mbit. I started off with a Terayon 210 many moons ago and from what i had read it was supposed to be able to handle up to 37mbit but when my connection was upgraded and i still didnt get anything over 10mbit i thought i would change my modem before i started moaning a them. I have seen in other threads that people have been laughing about doing upgrades through their website instead of rining up but i did mine through the website and it worked out fine. I clicked on my old modem to tell them what i had at the time and it suggested it needed upgrading and they sent me a new one a couple of days later and it worked like a charm.