PDA

View Full Version : Still getting rediculously slow speds & bad latency in online games

andrewcfl
04-11-2008, 21:57
I made a post a while back regarding some strange speeds I was getting on my connection, didn't really get anything conclusive from that, so here I am again.

I'm on 10mb connection and living in Stafford, all is fine during the middle of the night and early morning, but 4pm onwards up until about 2 or 3am, well I may as well just be slapping myself in the face repeatedly during that time instead of attempting to do things online.

It's impossible to stream any kind of videos, youtube/iplayer, etc.
In world of warcraft I get 500/600+ ms, during raids it goes up to 1k+ and I get disconnected every few minutes, making the game completely unplayable.

Speed tests show bizarre results, uploading at a reasonable 500kbps and downloads at anywhere between 50kbps to 400kbps during "peak times".

I know someone who works for virgin, he managed to get information which shows that the UBR (?) is heavily over subscribed and that the network gets heavily congested during the evening, more so than other areas. Most likely due to the fact I live in a housing estate surrounded by students..

I rang technical support the other night out of desperation, just to see if it would make any difference at all. So I told the woman my problem with my connection, but it was weird that the only bit of information she asked from me was my post code. She also told me to download something from that virgin media games file page, and I was downloading at 15kb/s..

She consulted tech support (or someone), then ranted on about saying there's lots of users connected and that I should switch my modem off for half an hour whilst she sends some signals. Yeah I haven't a clue what all that was about;c.

So yeah, what to do..

Noggo
04-11-2008, 22:55
If I had loads of students living around my area I would switch to a DSL provider that has a monthly GB usage. I can't see Students touching anything with a set monthly cap. Plus most DSL providers offer a one month contract, so if you do find out the service is just as bad as Virgin Media's you don't have to wait 12 months to switch.

Have a look at http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-gaming.php, ideal for gaming

Magilla
04-11-2008, 23:36
So yeah, what to do..

Pretty much identical to my current woes. Only thing you can do seems to be keep asking for money off the bill until capacity is improved.

chickendippers
05-11-2008, 00:47
If I had loads of students living around my area I would switch to a DSL provider that has a monthly GB usage. I can't see Students touching anything with a set monthly cap.

I am the dreaded student living in a student area (NE2 3) and all the houses have brown omni boxes outside, yet my 5 housemates and I have never noticed any slowness...perhaps this ex-TW area has received the necessary investment over the years?

Qu3
18-11-2008, 04:05
Most likely due to the fact I live in a housing estate surrounded by students.

Yeah, I know for a fact 90% of these students are on virgin 10meg or higher, I'm one of them and most are computing students...being Stafford