PDA

View Full Version : Netgear Router Dropping after BIG SPEEDS

Ashleyuk
04-11-2008, 18:25
Ok, I thought I'd search around Google to find the best place to ask the question, it seems that this is the place ;)

I'm on Virgin Media's best internet connection contract... 20MB Unlimited.
Download speeds, I get a constant 2.6 MBPS which is TRUELY AWESOME!!

I use a download manager - Internet Download Manager (IDM)

Now, SOMETIMES (not all the time) when I start a new download with IDM, at the very beginning the speed can 'spike' from 10MBPS and then slowly go down to a steady 2.4 - 2.6 MBPS.... When it does this... after a few seconds, the router no longer transmits a wireless signal ??? I can't connect to the router again, I can't detect the router either? With ANY of my PC's / Laptops (makes me sound rich haha).
The only way I can get the router to start sending out the signal is to physically turn off the router and turn it back on again. WHICH IS QUITE ANNOYING, because my router is on top of kitchen cabinet DOWNSTAIRS!!! lol

So anyway, I decided to think about Firmware... and maybe there would be an update to the firmware that I could do. But by the looks of it, it seems that the router has been flashed with Virgin Media's own firmware.
Obviously I dont want to mess about with this.

Router - WGR614v9
Firmware Version - V1.0.11_1.0.1VGUK

I think the only thing I could do, is maybe limit my download speed in my download manager, but just wondering if there is anything I can do about the router itself?? And if there's any other / newer firmware that would help solve this silly problem.

Thanks!!

whydoIneedatech
04-11-2008, 18:53
Ok, I thought I'd search around Google to find the best place to ask the question, it seems that this is the place ;)

I'm on Virgin Media's best internet connection contract... 20MB Unlimited.
Download speeds, I get a constant 2.6 MBPS which is TRUELY AWESOME!!

I use a download manager - Internet Download Manager (IDM)

Now, SOMETIMES (not all the time) when I start a new download with IDM, at the very beginning the speed can 'spike' from 10MBPS and then slowly go down to a steady 2.4 - 2.6 MBPS.... When it does this... after a few seconds, the router no longer transmits a wireless signal ??? I can't connect to the router again, I can't detect the router either? With ANY of my PC's / Laptops (makes me sound rich haha).
The only way I can get the router to start sending out the signal is to physically turn off the router and turn it back on again. WHICH IS QUITE ANNOYING, because my router is on top of kitchen cabinet DOWNSTAIRS!!! lol

So anyway, I decided to think about Firmware... and maybe there would be an update to the firmware that I could do. But by the looks of it, it seems that the router has been flashed with Virgin Media's own firmware.
Obviously I dont want to mess about with this.

Router - WGR614v9
Firmware Version - V1.0.11_1.0.1VGUK

I think the only thing I could do, is maybe limit my download speed in my download manager, but just wondering if there is anything I can do about the router itself?? And if there's any other / newer firmware that would help solve this silly problem.

Thanks!!
The Virgin router has embedded Virgin firmware in it and even Netgear will not not actually offer support to this router and tell you to ring Tech Support, if you do try to flash it you are more likely to brick the router and invalidate the warranty.

If you want better wireless performance then buy a wireless N router.

moaningmags
04-11-2008, 20:58
Try changing the channel the wireless transmits on.

Valerie
04-11-2008, 22:15
try the netgear online support - I had an entirely different problem with a netgear router and found them very helpful

whydoIneedatech
04-11-2008, 22:18
try the netgear online support - I had an entirely different problem with a netgear router and found them very helpful
No good as they will not touch the Virgin router as I stated above