PDA

View Full Version : Router blocking data?

carpeni
04-11-2008, 17:58
Hi
We access a genealogy site that provides images of certificates via their viewer. PC is linked via router( old Origo) to VM modem ( Motorola SB5101E) and all worked OK til 2 weeks ago. Went on holiday and switched everything off - then can't download data from the site. When the PC is connected direct to modem all is OK. Tried it on XP and Vista / desktop and laptop - always same - with router no download. Tried another router (Netgear) - still same scenario. Can't see on router menu anything about firewall or allowing specific sites. The site not blocked. Cleared all caches/cookies etc on IE7 - Firefox/ on XP doesn't work either.

Any ideas please? Doesn't do this block on any other sites.
Tried on a friend's PC with VM modem & with Belkin router, and they got access OK.

Cheers
Ian

Kiryu
04-11-2008, 23:23
what protocol does their image viewer use? does it run on java or flash? tried any other similar sites in that respect?

abailey152
05-11-2008, 10:16
I had a similar problem downloading Comodo Firewall updates through my Linksys WRT54GS router. It was an older v1.1 type. I could access the updates if I connected direct to the modem and I could get them if I used one of the free proxy servers available.

In the end I updated the firmware on the router and everything's worked perfect since.

If a firmware upgrade isn't available for your router, you could try the free proxy workaround to access your genealogy site. A google search for free proxy server will reveal loads.

carpeni
05-11-2008, 10:29
Thanks for replies

Kiryu - They are a mix of aspx & jpg - nothing unusual and don't have problem with any other sites.

Alan
Will have a look at what you suggest - thanks

Ian

Joxer
05-11-2008, 10:52
Hard reset and resetup of the router might do it , especially sincence it worked before, though it could have been a change at their end that broke it.