PDA

View Full Version : How do I setup an ethernet and wireless connection?

Necessitor
04-11-2008, 16:15
I just need to know how to set up an ethernet and wireless connection at the same time.
I have just received the virgin netgear wireless modem and wireless pc card/wireless G adapter kit.

I wanted to connect my main pc via ethernet cable and have a wireless connection to another pc, also a wireless connection to a laptop.

The setup disk instructions only assume you want to connect wirelessly to pc/laptop. I have such trouble in the past with modems thought I'd ask an expert before even starting this.;)

Any help would be appreciated.

Axegrinder
04-11-2008, 16:26
You only need the disk for when in installing the wireless USB stick (Thanks whydoineedatech)

Turn off modem

Connect the modem to the routers WAN port

Connect your PC to the router with ethernet cable.

Power router and modem on.

Then login to the router via http://192.168.1.1/ username virgin password - password (I think anyway)

Configure security settings

whydoIneedatech
04-11-2008, 16:30
Only run the set up disk in the computer/s that is wireless.

If you have a Virgin Wireless Adaptor you must use the disk to install as it has the drivers on it.

Necessitor
04-11-2008, 19:01
Thanks guys, just what I needed to know. My gf uses the connection for training at the moment so I could'nt take a chance and loose it, I only use it to play Unreal tournament 3. :dunce:lol

whydoIneedatech
04-11-2008, 19:09
Thanks guys, just what I needed to know. My gf uses the connection for training at the moment so I could'nt take a chance and loose it, I only use it to play Unreal tournament 3. :dunce:lol
Have managed to set it up OK.