PDA

View Full Version : 2 modems

B16JOP
04-11-2008, 11:58
If I were to use a splitter and 2 modems, 1 for my wireless router and the other as an ethernet connection to my main computer would this reduce my reception i.e. half to each modem

Kymmy
04-11-2008, 12:00
Quite simply any modem not registered to your account simply would not work

Graham M
04-11-2008, 12:00
:welcome: Can you explain a bit more carefully as I for one don't get what you mean

B16JOP
04-11-2008, 12:13
at present my modem is connected via ethernet to a wireless router in the attic. The cable modem is next to my main computer and as a direct ethernet connection is better than wireless I wondered if there was a way of keeping my wireless router for other computers and running my main one on ethernet. I know i can run an ethernet cable back from my router but it is quite a distance and awkward.

xspeedyx
04-11-2008, 13:14
You can use the router to run one pc wired and one pc wireless you dont need a other modem

Stephen
04-11-2008, 14:41
at present my modem is connected via ethernet to a wireless router in the attic. The cable modem is next to my main computer and as a direct ethernet connection is better than wireless I wondered if there was a way of keeping my wireless router for other computers and running my main one on ethernet. I know i can run an ethernet cable back from my router but it is quite a distance and awkward.
That just wouldn't work for a start, you can only run a single modem that is why people get routers to share the connection.

You would need to connect the PC by ethernet to the Router.

Wireless isn't that bad, I have my laptop on wireless and my iMac by ethernet and still get a great connection and full download speed on the laptop and low pings in games.

XFS03
04-11-2008, 16:41
Does the router have to be in the attic?

My wireless router is underneath my modem next to my PC on the ground floor. The PC is connected by ethernet cable. I get reliable wireless connection in all rooms in the house on my wireless laptop.