PDA

View Full Version : Slow in Evenings. What to do ?

ntl.wotcha
03-11-2008, 22:14
I'm a 20mb subscriber which is fine during the day time. I generally get 12-15mb out of it.

But the evenings are now down to <2mb (currently ~1200kb) and it's becoming a pain to use.

Is there any course of action I can try to get a better service ?

Do i just call customer service and complain ?

Noggo
03-11-2008, 23:31
I wouldn't personally ring customer services first without letting tech support look at your connection. You're got to give VM a chance of checking their equipment on your connection before complaining. May be something silly, then again it may not.

Just out of interest what modem do you have?
If you post you're modem signal page here, someone will probably tell you if everything's OK with your modem (SNR, power levels, etc).

whydoIneedatech
04-11-2008, 08:13
I'm a 20mb subscriber which is fine during the day time. I generally get 12-15mb out of it.

But the evenings are now down to <2mb (currently ~1200kb) and it's becoming a pain to use.

No as they would transfer you to Tech Support so we could check your connection, best just to call us o 151 option 3 from a Virgin landline or 0845 454 1111 option 3 from from any other phone and save waiting time.

You could also try this below as Noggo said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put or click the link > http://192.168.100.1/ the password and username are both root if required.

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ntl.wotcha
05-11-2008, 13:06
I'll raise it with faults then. Only reason I wasn't sure about that is that fine during day time. (currently 10mbit). So seems to just be local congestion. For the record I tried a download from blueyonder server and got about 35kb download which is pretty poor.

Modem is the "NTL 250" type

Cable Modem Downstream Downstream Lock : Locked Downstream Channel Id : 2 Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz Downstream Modulation : QAM64 Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17 Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.2 dBmV Downstream SNR : 34.8 dB Download Failed (1)Upstream Lock : Locked Upstream Channel ID : 2 Upstream Frequency : 22200000 Hz Upstream Modulation : QAM16 Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec Upstream transmit Power Level : 51.0 dBmV Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Noggo
05-11-2008, 15:12
I'll raise it with faults then. Only reason I wasn't sure about that is that fine during day time. (currently 10mbit). So seems to just be local congestion. For the record I tried a download from blueyonder server and got about 35kb download which is pretty poor.

I didn't what to be the first to mention UBR capacity but as you did. Yes it does look a lot like it :(. I wouldn't class 10Mb during the daytime fine as well, you should be getting close to 19.5Mb when everything’s running OK.

From past experience I would personally go through virgins newsgroup group support in the evening when the problem is at its worst. They will check the state of your connection / UBR. You should get a better response back (fingers crossed and all that). If you do get what you need to here (over subscribed, capacity issues on the UBR) get a date (which will be 'subject to change') from them when the work is going to take place to resolve the issues. Once you're got the date, that's the time to speak to customer services about some reduced monthly subs, from when you first reported the problem to the estimated fix date.

Hope the above helps you out.

Laters,

oops almost forgot, I don't know much about the NTL modems (don't know much about ex-Telewest either, but more than ex-NTL), so if someone could shed some light on the NTL 250's compatibility with 20Mb service and state of affairs regarding the power levels, SNR etc.

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

Also have a look here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34527446-post6.html to help you with what info newsgroup support may ask you for.

Re:
Start 2 simultaneous downloads from the VM demo games server plus 2 simultaneous downloads of Zen test files. That's four file downloads happening at once! Now add up each of the four download speeds to get your accurate download rate.

They only ask for two simultaneous downloads now from VM demo server.

hokkers999
05-11-2008, 16:50

Do what I did? Downgrade to the 2 meg service and save £19/month :D

Noggo
05-11-2008, 18:19
Yep downgrading is an option. Normally and if you have a valid reason for it, VM will give you a faulty over subscribed 20 Meg connection for the price around 2 Meg untill the problem is resolved (half price). Then at least during the day you get 10 or so Meg and hit or miss in the evening / weekend.

ntl.wotcha
05-11-2008, 19:10
lol, I already get BBXL for price of BBL. Thanks I will try the newsgroups later.

EIGHTIESLAD
05-11-2008, 19:32
No as they would transfer you to Tech Support so we could check your connection, best just to call us o 151 option 3 from a Virgin landline or 0845 454 1111 option 3 from from any other phone and save waiting time.

You could also try this below as Noggo said.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put or click the link > http://192.168.100.1/ the password and username are both root if required.

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks I live in Stoke on Trent area and after 5pm every night sometimes it takes virtually over 5 mins for a page to load. Im on the xl package so should get good speeds.

Downstream power levels
Cable Modem DownstreamDownstream Lock : LockedDownstream Channel Id : 4Downstream Frequency : 586750000 HzDownstream Modulation : QAM64Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/secDownstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.6 dBmVDownstream SNR : 35.1 dB

Cable Modem UpstreamUpstream Lock : LockedUpstream Channel ID : 2Upstream Frequency : 22200000 HzUpstream Modulation : QPSKUpstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/secUpstream transmit Power Level : 44.5 dBmVUpstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

I rang VM on Monday and they sent an engineer round today. they fitted something on the modem cable but it doesnt seem to have made any difference. I was suffering from packet loss. Im using the NTL 250 modem also.

Any help would be appreciated

Download Failed (1)

whydoIneedatech
05-11-2008, 19:36
Thanks I live in Stoke on Trent area and after 5pm every night sometimes it takes virtually over 5 mins for a page to load. Im on the xl package so should get good speeds.

Downstream power levels
Cable Modem DownstreamDownstream Lock : LockedDownstream Channel Id : 4Downstream Frequency : 586750000 HzDownstream Modulation : QAM64Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/secDownstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17Downstream Receive Power Level : -2.6 dBmVDownstream SNR : 35.1 dB

Cable Modem UpstreamUpstream Lock : LockedUpstream Channel ID : 2Upstream Frequency : 22200000 HzUpstream Modulation : QPSKUpstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/secUpstream transmit Power Level : 44.5 dBmVUpstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Download Failed (1)
The above power levels are normal and within parameters for your connection.

Are you on a router if so try a direct connection if possible.

EIGHTIESLAD
05-11-2008, 20:09
thanks for that - any idea on the slowness then?

I have tried a direct connection bypassing the router and the results are still the same. do you want me to post them on here?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

i cannot access the other info as the links are now dead

whydoIneedatech
05-11-2008, 21:07
thanks for that - any idea on the slowness then?

I have tried a direct connection bypassing the router and the results are still the same. do you want me to post them on here?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

i cannot access the other info as the links are now dead
What links are dead

piggy
05-11-2008, 21:10
@eightieslad are you in st4 near the colledge?

alex250
05-11-2008, 23:23
oh no not another student land customer?

browney
07-11-2008, 17:51
I’m disappointed with the evening service as I went from Large to Extra large today but during this evening I’m only getting 10Mb I might as well have stuck to 10Mb!

liverpool fan
07-11-2008, 20:44
I’m disappointed with the evening service as I went from Large to Extra large today but during this evening I’m only getting 10Mb I might as well have stuck to 10Mb!

It's the same for me in the mornings i get almost my 10 meg but on a night i'm lucky to get 2.5 meg what the hell is going on? :mad:

browney
07-11-2008, 21:01
It's strange because on 10mb I got 10mb solid 1.2Mb/s on downloads do breaks in speeds for usenet and rapidshare now it flux between 700-1000kbps

Fri, 7 Nov 2008 20:03:38 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 4327 ms = 236.7 KB/sec, approx 1950 Kbps, 1.9 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 862 ms = 1187.9 KB/sec, approx 9788 Kbps, 9.56 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 1102 ms = 929.2 KB/sec, approx 7657 Kbps, 7.48 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 3144 ms = 651.4 KB/sec, approx 5368 Kbps, 5.24 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 6191 Kbps, 6.05 Mbps

w00k1e
07-11-2008, 21:40
Yep I get exactly the same thing..
Desktop or laptop direct wired or via the router. Nearly full 20mbit during the earlier part of the day, drops off from around 5pm until 12am then it's back up to decent speeds. It was fine on 10mbit but started being very intermittent when I upgraded a week or so ago.

This isn't much use to me as I'm at work during the day and only use my home internet in the evenings.
I've been off sick today and have been able to monitor the speed all day. It's definitely a lot slower in the evenings. Spoken with 'technical support' twice and they say nothing's wrong.. as an IT professional I find it very painful to speak with the indian call centre and can't bring myself to call them again ;)

Currently around 7mbit.
Where do you guys do that test posted above?

whydoIneedatech
07-11-2008, 21:43
Yep I get exactly the same thing..
Desktop or laptop direct wired or via the router. Nearly full 20mbit during the earlier part of the day, drops off from around 5pm until 12am then it's back up to decent speeds. It was fine on 10mbit but started being very intermittent when I upgraded a week or so ago.

This isn't much use to me as I'm at work during the day and only use my home internet in the evenings.
I've been off sick today and have been able to monitor the speed all day. It's definitely a lot slower in the evenings. Spoken with 'technical support' twice and they say nothing's wrong.. as an IT professional I find it very painful to speak with the indian call centre and can't bring myself to call them again ;)

Currently around 7mbit.
Where do you guys do that test posted above?
-------------------------------------------------------------

If you are a Virgin Media customer then the best speedtest is from the link below.

Have you tried going to this link to check your speeds http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/

click on blueyondergames>demos>then click on at least 2 large files around 400/500 mb and save them to your desktop, and then wait a couple of minutes then write down the transfer rates on the files that are running > times them by 8 and you will get a truer download speed.

Remember to stop and delete the files.

i.e : 250kBps X 8 = 2MB, 500kBps X 8 = 4MB, 1250kBps X 8 = 10MB, 2500kBps X 8 = 20MB
-----------------------------------------------------------

w00k1e
07-11-2008, 21:47
Yep I've used that test hundreds of times.. I used to recommend it to customers when I used to work in 2nd line support for Telewest Broadband a few years ago ;) which is why I find it so hard to talk with the Indian call centre as I know exactly what they're doing! ;)

browney
07-11-2008, 21:58
something else I have noticed when I went from 2mb to 10mb my pings were about 19-25ms then after a few months they went to 60ms now today when I went from 10mb to 20mb the pings have gone back down to 19-25ms.

whydoIneedatech
07-11-2008, 22:10
Yep I've used that test hundreds of times.. I used to recommend it to customers when I used to work in 2nd line support for Telewest Broadband a few years ago ;) which is why I find it so hard to talk with the Indian call centre as I know exactly what they're doing! ;)
The speed test they all seem to use is this one HERE (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html) rather inacurrate to say the the least.

ntl.wotcha
09-11-2008, 14:54
So I got a fault ref for my issue from the news group. Apparently a high TX load on my UBR.
F000836810

So if I call customer services will they give me a credit until decent service is restored ?

whydoIneedatech
09-11-2008, 15:04
So I got a fault ref for my issue from the news group. Apparently a high TX load on my UBR.
F000836810

So if I call customer services will they give me a credit until decent service is restored ?
No harm in trying, best during the week in normal office hours

champaine
09-11-2008, 18:36
Hi just clicked the page you posted...here are my results...they don't make any sense to me!!! i have 10mb but it's realy slow....any suggestions?? Many thanks for your help. Frequency 331000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB
Power Level 4 dB The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 18800000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 41 dBmV

fdj12
10-11-2008, 14:05
I seem to be slow all of the time even though i have a 20meg connection, I have posted my results below

Downstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
339000000 Hz
Modulation
256QAM
Bit Rate
20480000 bits/sec
Power Level
0.2 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
40.5 dB

Upstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
37500000 Hz
Modulation
16QAM
Bit Rate
768000 bits/sec
Power Level
56.0 dBmV
My MODEM is a Web star
WebSTAR EPC2100r2
Hardware Version
Software Version
v1.0.2r1244-050225h
Receive Power Level
0.1 dBmV
Transmit Power Level
56.0 dBmV
Cable Modem Status
Operational

Dont know if the results are as they should be, but it takes an age for some web pages to load and otheres are like lightning

Your advice appreciated

Ignitionnet
10-11-2008, 16:17
Transmit Power Level
56.0 dBmV

Too high for the type of upstream you're on - you need a tech! :)

piggy
10-11-2008, 19:58
Too high for the type of upstream you're on - you need a tech! :)

its not exactly out of spec and when lowered it wont make any difference whatsoever to his speed!! but what the hell carry on.:dozey:

Ignitionnet
10-11-2008, 22:10
its not exactly out of spec and when lowered it wont make any difference whatsoever to his speed!! but what the hell carry on.:dozey:

Yes it is out of spec, 16QAM requires 55dBmV transmit power or lower to ensure proper operation.

DOCSIS specifies that cable modems must support an upstream transmit level range of +8 dBmV to +58 dBmV for QPSK, and +8 dBmV to +55 dBmV for 16-QAM

Overdriving the transmitter causes distortion, distortion causes upstream SNR problems, upstream SNR problems cause slow speeds.

From the customer's modem, DPC2100, datasheet, http://www.arenaservicesinc.com/manuals/Cable_Modems/SA/DPC2100datasheet.pdf

Operating Level Range
+8dBmV to +58dBmV
+8dBmV to +55dBmV ( 8QAM, 16QAM )

sollp
10-11-2008, 22:36
Yes it is out of spec, 16QAM requires 55dBmV transmit power or lower to ensure proper operation.

Overdriving the transmitter causes distortion, distortion causes upstream SNR problems, upstream SNR problems cause slow speeds.

From the customer's modem, DPC2100, datasheet, http://www.arenaservicesinc.com/manuals/Cable_Modems/SA/DPC2100datasheet.pdf

Correct

Ignitionnet
10-11-2008, 23:12
I didn't mention that if it's transmitting that high it's also in itself indicative of a fault, either noise that the modem is trying to overcome to be heard or a bad upstream path that's overattenuated.

Either way 56dBmV on 16QAM is not at all good and is the equivalent of about 59-60dBmV on QPSK, a 16QAM signal having (ish) 2 times the peak symbol power of QPSK, which is likewise not good (16QAM symbol power = (2.5 x QPSK squared) / 2.

Storm1964
10-11-2008, 23:24
just been on with tech and at last told the truth

belfast areas mine is bt36 are on a reduced service of a max of 5mb im gettin 1-3 max between (9pm and 12).all other times 14mb

was given £15 rebate as im payin for 20,

when i asked when this will be back to normall was told unable to comfirm and there is changes taken place ?what that may be they would not say

so go get your refunds that might speed them up sorting it

Ignitionnet
10-11-2008, 23:45
fdj12 I see you had some feedback from VM techs on the newsgroups, and it's likely a noise issue. Hope they get it fixed quickly.

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

just been on with tech and at last told the truth

belfast areas mine is bt36 are on a reduced service of a max of 5mb im gettin 1-3 max between (9pm and 12).all other times 14mb

was given £15 rebate as im payin for 20,

when i asked when this will be back to normall was told unable to comfirm and there is changes taken place ?what that may be they would not say

so go get your refunds that might speed them up sorting it

That's not the 'truth' there is no 'reduced service' apart from the 5Mbit that the 20Mbit goes down to when STM'd. There are no refunds for that though. That's probably what they were referring to. 1 to 3Mbit at peak times sucks and is certainly worth the refund mind.

fdj12
11-11-2008, 09:35
Thanks BB appreciate your comments

Storm1964
12-11-2008, 14:17
fdj12 I see you had some feedback from VM techs on the newsgroups, and it's likely a noise issue. Hope they get it fixed quickly.

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

That's not the 'truth' there is no 'reduced service' apart from the 5Mbit that the 20Mbit goes down to when STM'd. There are no refunds for that though. That's probably what they were referring to. 1 to 3Mbit at peak times sucks and is certainly worth the refund mind.

yes stm,d was mentioned,what is the purpose for stm ? does it normally go on for long and should i be paying for 20mb and only getting 5mb,as a customer im not happy with this if thats the case:mad:

hokkers999
15-11-2008, 01:42
The above power levels are normal and within parameters for your connection.

Are you on a router if so try a direct connection if possible.

Of course! Routers introduce 300,000 ms of latency don't they? and the firmware is set to only do this after 5pm as well :dunce:

I wish people would stop blaming a poor network on anything but. If it was his router then it would be poor all the time, geez....

---------- Post added at 00:42 ---------- Previous post was at 00:38 ----------

If you are a Virgin Media customer then the best speedtest is from the link below.

Have you tried going to this link to check your speeds http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/

[snip]

Ho hum, more inane drivel. All that does is test the INTERNAL network, which had better be top notch, bit like loading off the server on your lan.

Try a real world test and pull data from a test not hosted on the vm network. Part of the rubbish network performance is very poor interconnects.

---------- Post added at 00:42 ---------- Previous post was at 00:42 ----------

[snip]

Ho hum, more inane drivel. All that does is test the INTERNAL network, which had better be top notch, bit like loading off the server on your lan.

Try a real world test and pull data from a test not hosted on the vm network. Part of the rubbish network performance is very poor interconnects.

piggy
15-11-2008, 01:52
Of course! Routers introduce 300,000 ms of latency don't they? and the firmware is set to only do this after 5pm as well :dunce:

I wish people would stop blaming a poor network on anything but. If it was his router then it would be poor all the time, geez....

inane drivel???? if virgin networks work on the tests given we dont give a stuff .......the internet is a BIG place and you cant blame virgin for everything,but then again it sounds like you do:erm:

homealone
15-11-2008, 02:02
inane drivel???? if virgin networks work on the tests given we dont give a stuff .......the internet is a BIG place and you cant blame virgin for everything,but then again it sounds like you do:erm:

absolutely, test it works locally, first, then look at other potential issues such as routing/peering with 'the rest' of the internet :)

Stabhappy
17-11-2008, 03:30
hokkers999 - attitude much? XD

Maggy
17-11-2008, 09:35

Please try to be more respectful to the other members of CF..Many of the VM CS and VM techs do give their time freely on Cable Forum to help people resolve any issues they may have.

Indeed any helpful info you can provide will be very much appreciated and is much more likely to be respected IF you are as respectful of others.Rubbishing the help given in honesty is not helpful if accompanied by phrases such as 'inane drivel'.

whydoIneedatech
17-11-2008, 10:46
Please try to be more respectful to the other members of CF..Many of the VM CS and VM techs do give their time freely on Cable Forum to help people resolve any issues they may have.

Indeed any helpful info you can provide will be very much appreciated and is much more likely to be respected IF you are as respectful of others.Rubbishing the help given in honesty is not helpful if accompanied by phrases such as 'inane drivel'.

Thank you for the input.:)

w00k1e
17-11-2008, 13:12
I resolved my problem..
Downgraded to 10mbit, not the best solution but it's a good solid connection now at all times. At least I feel like I get what I pay for now.

gmc
17-11-2008, 15:38
I am also on 20 Mb and most of the day the link rockets along but during late afternoon and onwards the performance is dire and has gone down as far as 256k at times. I am on Bromley BR3 area.

Not sure what information would be useful but here is what I got from the cable modem. Sorry if it is too long but most of it doesn't mean anything to me.

Cable Modem Information
Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Boot Code Version : 3.1.6d
Software Version : 2.94.1014
Hardware Version : 1.19

Cable Modem Status
Item Status Comments
Acquire a Downstream Channel 586750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -3.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.9 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 46200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 49.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Upstream Burst
Req
Init Maint
Per Maint
Short Data
Long Data

(1)
(3)
(4)
(5)
(6)

Modulation Type QPSK QPSK QPSK QPSK QPSK
Differential Encoding Off Off Off Off Off
Preamble Length 64 128 128 100 80
Preamble Value Offset 396 6 6 396 396
FEC Error Correction (T) 0 5 5 3 9
FEC Codeword Information Bytes (k) 16 34 34 78 232
Scrambler Seed 338 338 338 338 338
Maximum Burst Size 0 0 0 35 254
Guard Time Size 8 48 48 25 134
Last Codeword Length Fixed Fixed Fixed Short Short
Scrambler on/off On On On On On

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Cable Modem Event Log
First Time Last Time Priority Description
Sun Nov 16 14:46:39 2008 Sun Nov 16 14:46:39 2008 Warning (5) DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
Mon Nov 03 12:38:02 2008 Mon Nov 03 12:38:02 2008 Information (7) Downstream sync ok
Mon Nov 03 12:38:02 2008 Mon Nov 03 12:38:02 2008 Information (7) locked and synced to rescue CMTS...all is well!
Mon Nov 03 12:38:02 2008 Mon Nov 03 12:38:02 2008 Information (7) Downstream sync ok
Mon Nov 03 12:38:01 2008 Mon Nov 03 12:38:01 2008 Information (7) Locked on the rescue CMTS ds. try to re-acquire ds sync...
Mon Nov 03 12:38:01 2008 Mon Nov 03 12:38:01 2008 Information (7) Downstream lock ok
Mon Nov 03 12:38:01 2008 Mon Nov 03 12:38:01 2008 Information (7) Downstream lock failed
Mon Nov 03 12:38:01 2008 Mon Nov 03 12:38:01 2008 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...
Mon Nov 03 12:37:57 2008 Mon Nov 03 12:37:57 2008 Information (7) Downstream lock failed
Sun Nov 02 14:46:39 2008 Sun Nov 02 14:46:39 2008 Warning (5) DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response

w00k1e
17-11-2008, 15:52
I know it doesn't help much with the above but I'm on a Bromley UBR too :(

gmc
17-11-2008, 15:55
I'm glad I am not alone.

I'm on VIP package so not sure if I can downgrade to 10 Mb.

With your 10 Mb is that working at a constant decent speed all the time?

w00k1e
17-11-2008, 17:24
My 10mbit connection was absolutely fine before I upgraded to 20mbit. I tried it for a couple of weeks but was never happy.
The downgrade came through Sunday morning. I tried it at various times during the day and evening and it was a consistent 10mbit connection. I'll have another play around when I get home from work this evening as that's the time it usually misbehaved on the 20mbit connection and let you know how it goes.

gmc
17-11-2008, 17:43
Thank you.

I am almost at the point of considering dumping Virgin Broadband and going to someone like BE but that means also dumping the Virgin phone too and having to move back to BT.

Sounds like overkill I know but I do have another issue too and that is the slow upload speed available from Virgin.

w00k1e
18-11-2008, 10:42
Tested last night. I was using the connection pretty much from 7pm to 12am with a break at around 8:30 - 9:00pm to avoid getting STM'd..

Consistent 10mbit all evening.

gmc
18-11-2008, 20:28
Thanks - interesting!!!

Makes me think I should be downgrading to 10 Mb as well.

sollp
18-11-2008, 21:22
My 10mbit connection was absolutely fine before I upgraded to 20mbit. I tried it for a couple of weeks but was never happy.
The downgrade came through Sunday morning. I tried it at various times during the day and evening and it was a consistent 10mbit connection. I'll have another play around when I get home from work this evening as that's the time it usually misbehaved on the 20mbit connection and let you know how it goes.

Just a little point on this one, like i have already pointed out and not saying this is going to be everyones problem BUT, if you have problems at 20Mb then downgrade to 10Mb and get consitent speeds at 10Mb, could there possibly be an issue with your setup?

gmc
18-11-2008, 21:32
From my point of view and obviously I am still on 20 Mb; it runs fine most of the day until we get to the late afternoon when I have had it go down to 256k. This doesn't happen every day but has happened several times.

I can't see how it could be anything wrong with my setup otherwise I would have thought I would have had problems all the time.

sollp
19-11-2008, 00:15
From my point of view and obviously I am still on 20 Mb; it runs fine most of the day until we get to the late afternoon when I have had it go down to 256k. This doesn't happen every day but has happened several times.

I can't see how it could be anything wrong with my setup otherwise I would have thought I would have had problems all the time.

OK, just a thought. But to drop that much?

w00k1e
19-11-2008, 13:23
Just a little point on this one, like i have already pointed out and not saying this is going to be everyones problem BUT, if you have problems at 20Mb then downgrade to 10Mb and get consitent speeds at 10Mb, could there possibly be an issue with your setup?#

Not really as...
a) It would give me a 20mb connection out of peak hours then drop during peak hours then go back up around 12am. No changes to setup, no rebooting taking place.
b) I used to work for Telewest before VM took over as a 2nd line BB technician - so I know exactly the things to look for on a PC or home network that cause problems with cable BB connections.
c) I'm a Microsoft certified engineer with a 'proper' job in IT now (as opposed to working for TW!) and have a quite high understanding of PCs and networks ;)

sollp
19-11-2008, 20:20
#

Not really as...
a) It would give me a 20mb connection out of peak hours then drop during peak hours then go back up around 12am. No changes to setup, no rebooting taking place.
b) I used to work for Telewest before VM took over as a 2nd line BB technician - so I know exactly the things to look for on a PC or home network that cause problems with cable BB connections.
c) I'm a Microsoft certified engineer with a 'proper' job in IT now (as opposed to working for TW!) and have a quite high understanding of PCs and networks ;)

Yes even the best of us miss things, as i sometimes do.

And also not everyone has certificates, high understanding, or a job in IT as you would know working as 2nd line support for BB. Even the most simple things can be missed because we are looking to in depth or think we know it all,(not saying that part is you).