PDA

View Full Version : Mashed Virgin Media Junction Box

200thhorseman
02-11-2008, 13:33
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a replacement external Virgin Media box without calling an engineer? The box I mean is the one outside the house. Last night my wife mashed ours by hitting it with the car (don't ask). I'm sure I can install it myself; I just need to get hold of the box. The one we have (had) is the large box with Virgin Media on the front that they are installing currently.

Regards,

Rob

JayJay
02-11-2008, 19:45
Call virgin, they will send someone out to change it. You dont need to be in for an engineer to change your omnibox!

200thhorseman
02-11-2008, 20:15
Hi Jayjay,

Are they likely to charge me for the work?

Regards,

Rob

JayJay
02-11-2008, 20:21
shouldnt do mate, if they do then just refuse it and repair it. Where abouts are you out of interest?

whydoIneedatech
02-11-2008, 22:12
Call virgin, they will send someone out to change it. You dont need to be in for an engineer to change your omnibox!
Yes you do need to be in or they can put a card through your door and you will be charged £10, because they need to be sure that you actually called to get the fault fixed.

JayJay
02-11-2008, 22:26
I think someone hasnt read the post correctly. The OMNIBOX is the box OUTSIDE your house. It will say on the paperwork to REPLACE omnibox. Why does an engineer need to go INSIDE your house when the omnibox is OUTSIDE....

Need I say anymore ? :)

whydoIneedatech
03-11-2008, 07:07
I think someone hasnt read the post correctly. The OMNIBOX is the box OUTSIDE your house. It will say on the paperwork to REPLACE omnibox. Why does an engineer need to go INSIDE your house when the omnibox is OUTSIDE....

Need I say anymore ? :)
You will of course refund them the £10 when the engineer puts the card through the door.:D

He may not just be able to replace the cover as the rest of the box may be damaged therefore he has to remove the rest of the box breaking the connection, he then has to reconnect and check the power levels with a meter internally to ensure everything is OK.;)

Plus when you ring in they will tell you anyway that you will need to be present, because I would and it could be me taking your call, so I wonder who may be correct? the person making assumptions or me:D

JayJay
03-11-2008, 19:20
Not being funny mate, you make changing an omnibox sound like a pain in the ass. Its not. AND I do work as an install tech, so please dont doubt me. There are ways of changing the omnibox without breaking the connection, even if the wall plate has to come off.

200thhorseman
03-11-2008, 21:11
Hi all,

I am in Ipswich. I think the installer would be able to get away with just replacing the cover. Maybe.

I suppose I could say that some Trick-Or-Treaters kicked it when I wouldn't give them a 'Treat'.

Regards,

Rob

whydoIneedatech
04-11-2008, 07:28
Not being funny mate, you make changing an omnibox sound like a pain in the ass. Its not. AND I do work as an install tech, so please dont doubt me. There are ways of changing the omnibox without breaking the connection, even if the wall plate has to come off.
Not all install Techs will work like you obviously do, and we have to tell them if they are out they may be charged £10, because if that happens and they call in we get the blame.:D

moaningmags
04-11-2008, 11:48
Not all install Techs will work like you obviously do, and we have to tell them if they are out they may be charged £10, because if that happens and they call in we get the blame.:D

Yup, we do.

200thhorseman
04-11-2008, 19:30
Hi all,

Well, I called Virgin today to see if I could get an engineer to come and replace the omnibox. Guess how much they wanted...........no go on guess. £99!!!!! No joke. Looks like I'll be getting a plastic box from Screwfix to replace it with.

Regards,

Rob

whydoIneedatech
04-11-2008, 19:33
Hi all,

Well, I called Virgin today to see if I could get an engineer to come and replace the omnibox. Guess how much they wanted...........no go on guess. £99!!!!! No joke. Looks like I'll be getting a plastic box from Screwfix to replace it with.

Regards,

Rob
What did you tell them about how it got damaged, you did not tell them the truth, it would have been better to say Trick or Treaters as someone said above.

200thhorseman
04-11-2008, 19:44
I thought that honesty would be the best policy, but I wish I had told them that Trick-or-Treaters did it.

If I'm doing it myself I might even move the sodding thing so it doesn't get hit again.

Rob

whydoIneedatech
04-11-2008, 20:04
I thought that honesty would be the best policy, but I wish I had told them that Trick-or-Treaters did it.

If I'm doing it myself I might even move the sodding thing so it doesn't get hit again.

Rob
If you use honesty then we have no alternative but to quote you the call out charge.

200thhorseman
04-11-2008, 20:56
But £99 for a plastic box? Come on......

AndyCambs
04-11-2008, 21:39
Hi all,

Regards,

Rob
I suppose the problem is that if any damage is caused to the wiring with a new box - then you'll be charged more to put it right.
As for the £99 fee - I suspect that does include the cost of the box and the call-out fee. If you liken it to a plumber coming out - they'll charge just to look...

whydoIneedatech
04-11-2008, 21:40
But £99 for a plastic box? Come on......
It is not the box you are paying for it's the engineer visit.

virginengineer
05-11-2008, 19:16
send me a large jiffi bag and enough postage on it and ill post on to you

JayJay
05-11-2008, 19:21
im happy to do the same :)

200thhorseman
05-11-2008, 19:25
Hello again,

I really appreciate the offer to send a box to me. If you send your address to my email address [removed]I'll send the envelope and postage to you.

Regards,

Rob

Mod Edit Email address removed you will just get spammed. Anyway they can just pm you on here

JayJay
05-11-2008, 19:43
Email sent :)

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 19:23
lol, what a comotion, if the installer is nice enough to send you one then he must be a nice contractor, he can come work in my area. and as to the other that said you can fit an omnibox without breaking the connection, first needs to know how it is fitted, but well, i guess he is one of the dodgy ones :)

btw if you don't recive one let me know, ill send you one.. :)

JayJay
11-11-2008, 19:36
Its in the post, and I was the one that said you CAN change an omnibox without breaking the connection. I just never finished what I was going to type... which would of been depending on the length of cables in the omnibox :)

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 19:45
hi jayjay,

not just that it all depends if the catv or telco goes into the house through the back of the omi, asuming the back plate of the omni was broken.

the catv isnt really a problem though, the telco and jellies are the main thing to be carefull of

JayJay
11-11-2008, 19:48
;) exactly, BUT it is possible to do ;) depending on a few factors.

The omnibox is in the post, hopefully he should get it in a day or two :D

virgin_tech
11-11-2008, 19:54
Yeah ill agree... it may be possible ;):)

JayJay
11-11-2008, 19:58
;) hehe