PDA

View Full Version : VM Netgear Router Wireless Setup

topred
01-11-2008, 16:11
hi...am new to this site,and hope some one can help me set up the vm netgear wireless router,am getting rid of my desktop pc,and going with a wireless laptop,but have been told its a bit tricky to set up if you dont have much of a clue,which i dont,so any help will be much appreciated.thanks

Raistlin
01-11-2008, 16:46
:welcome:

I've split your question from the other thread so it doesn't get lost in the responses to that one :)

Hopefully someone should be able to help you get this sorted :tu:

stelladrinka
01-11-2008, 16:57
Hi. I've just had mine installed today and the engineer didn't have the setup CD, but without it, it is very easy. I plugged in a LAN cable to the router, in Internet Explorer I typed in 192.168.1.1 which takes you to a setup page on the router. Here you can name it (SSID) and set a password (PSK). Apply this and then you can connect to it using whatever you've just set. Let me know if you get stuck.

whydoIneedatech
01-11-2008, 18:12
connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.
disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.
------------------------------------------------------------

jb5819
10-11-2008, 03:28
I am also haveing some problems with the virgin media free wireless router.

I have been able to set up the wireless network and am able to conect to the router wirelessly but the router does not want to give me internet access. I have all the settings in the router control console under "basic settings" set to default. If i try to run the setup wizard it is able to identify my type of internet conection but times out at a later step.

My internet is definatly working as if i plug my ethernet cable from PC to modem directly i get internet access.

I am a VM XL customer.

moaningmags
10-11-2008, 03:53
I am also haveing some problems with the virgin media free wireless router.

I have been able to set up the wireless network and am able to conect to the router wirelessly but the router does not want to give me internet access. I have all the settings in the router control console under "basic settings" set to default. If i try to run the setup wizard it is able to identify my type of internet conection but times out at a later step.

My internet is definatly working as if i plug my ethernet cable from PC to modem directly i get internet access.

I am a VM XL customer.

Turn off the modem and the router, wait a minute.
Turn the modem on, wait for the lights to settle,
4 solid green lights if Motorola
Cable light solid if Webstar or Scientific Atlanta
Sync and Rdy solid if Ambit
Once this happens turn on the router, the computer should show you when you're connected to the router then try the internet.

It sounds as if you're not rebooting the modem after connecting the router if you can disconnect it and connect it to your computer and get online immediately.

HTH

jb5819
10-11-2008, 15:32
your tip worked, thanks very much. :)

moaningmags
10-11-2008, 15:45
your tip worked, thanks very much. :)

Glad to hear it :)