PDA

View Full Version : Paymeny of Housing Benefit

Mike
01-11-2008, 13:42
HI all

Any advice on this please............

In the case despite the landlord and tenant stating they want the housing benefit paid direct to the landlord the local council are insistant that the tenant is paid direct !

The tenant does not want the financial responsibility of every 4 weeks checking that benefit has been paid and then transferring the amount to the landlords account. The way that benefit is paid every 4 weeks means that a standing order not be set up and the payment date changes every month !

What can been done in such cases. I think there maybe an appeal process but wondered if anyone has any advice on what to include in an appeal to make the council listen.

Many thanks for your help and kind regards

Mike

Kymmy
01-11-2008, 13:44
Easy, just give the benefits office the bank details of the landlord, who are they to know who's bank it is

Mike
01-11-2008, 13:51
Easy, just give the benefits office the bank details of the landlord, who are they to know who's bank it is

Presume a name will have to be given along with the bank account details

Mike

Kymmy
01-11-2008, 13:59
Doesn;t matter, the transfer details are only the account number and the sort code, as long as they are correct

nomadking
01-11-2008, 14:01
For new Local Housing Allowance scheme.
From official website (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018928)

If you are worried about managing your money, ask your local council if they can help you. In some cases they may be able to pay your benefit to your landlord.

Angua
01-11-2008, 14:02
The rules have changed regarding Housing Benefit payments and are now normally paid to the tenant who then pays the landlord. (I work for a Supported Housing company and this is causing a bit of a problem for new tenants).
The new rules also mean you could have a little more money in your pocket if you receive the HB yourself and pay rent to your landlord thereafter.

Exceptions to this involve a lot of jumping through hoops and you almost need to be able to prove you are incapable of managing your finances without help.

You could just arrange for a standing order to go to your landlord every 4 weeks the day after your HB is paid to you, banking systems are quite happy with 4 weekly payments.

Jon T
01-11-2008, 14:16
Whether your HB is paid direct to your Landlord or to you doesn't shift the financial responsibility of checking that your rent has been paid, this is firmly down to you, whatever payment method you use, and wherever the money is coming from.

Mike
01-11-2008, 17:16
Thanks for the replies......

If HB is paid direct into someones account how long after do people suggest a SO is set up. Ie how long would it take for the HB payment to clear?

Also can HB be paid monthly to a tenant ???

Many thanks

Regards

Mike

nomadking
01-11-2008, 17:36
How about setting up individual manual internet banking payments in advance for when each payment is required?

The thing to watch out for would be if there was a sudden problem with the payment from the Local Authority, would you have enough money in your account to cover a late payment arrival from the LA.

v0id
01-11-2008, 18:00
I always thought HB was paid 4 weeks in arrears. Is this not the case anymore?

dilli-theclaw
01-11-2008, 18:02
Dunno - all I know is my housing asscociation gets paid mine direct once a month and I top it up once a fortnight.

Angua
01-11-2008, 18:40
Thanks for the replies......

If HB is paid direct into someones account how long after do people suggest a SO is set up. Ie how long would it take for the HB payment to clear?

Also can HB be paid monthly to a tenant ???

Many thanks

Regards

Mike
Bank to Bank payments are available straight away (or should be)! Standing Orders can have a 4 weekly request timetable so you do not need to worry about matching dates as long as your first outgoing SO is a day or so after your incoming HB (for safety) all the rest thereafter will match up.

AFAIK HB (or the current equivalent) is always paid in arrears and always 4 weekly. If you go in to your bank they should be only to happy to advise you.