PDA

View Full Version : Virgin cuts MOBILE broadband to a fiver

bywater
01-11-2008, 01:20
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/18869/19893/view.phtml

I think I might sign up for this with £10 sim and now the £5 Mobile Broadband this is a lot less than I am paying with t-mobile for comparable deal.

AndyCambs
01-11-2008, 06:53
No sign of this offer on either the Virgin Media or Virgin Mobile pages?

Sirius
01-11-2008, 08:07
No sign of this offer on either the Virgin Media or Virgin Mobile pages?

If this is a real offer from them i for one will be taking it.

BenMcr
01-11-2008, 09:32
Doesn't launch 'til Monday (3rd November). Should be on the website then

Graham M
01-11-2008, 09:42
I will probably take em up on this offer, for £5/month it doesnt really matter if you use it or not :)

whydoIneedatech
01-11-2008, 09:52
Perfect for anyone in College or Uni

Sirius
01-11-2008, 10:14

Then i will be on the phone Monday morning :)

zing_deleted
01-11-2008, 10:18
Yeah that does look like an excellent deal . I would take it but I do not go that far away from home so its of little use to me. But my word its cheap. However how can they turn around and say bandwidth is limited and costs are high to them and then take up more bandwidth and charge next to next to nothing ;)

I take it Ben was confirming its existence ;)

Sirius
01-11-2008, 10:22
Yeah that does look like an excellent deal . I would take it but I do not go that far away from home so its of little use to me. But my word its cheap. However how can they turn around and say bandwidth is limited and costs are high to them and then take up more bandwidth and charge next to next to nothing ;)

I take it Ben was confirming its existence ;)

Because it's T mobiles network that get's the hit :LOL:

Sirius
03-11-2008, 12:31
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/18869/19893/view.phtml

I think I might sign up for this with £10 sim and now the £5 Mobile Broadband this is a lot less than I am paying with t-mobile for comparable deal.

Anyone know if we can get this now ?

BenMcr
03-11-2008, 14:11
Yes you can

Phone 0845 650 4500

etccarmageddon
03-11-2008, 14:21
very misleading thread title as this applies to the mobile broadband product and is conditional on having the fixed line broadband product. unless I have misread that link?

so it's:-

Virgin cuts Mobile broadband to a fiver

Graham M
03-11-2008, 14:24
I have amended the title to make more sense :tu:

Aragorn
03-11-2008, 14:34
Hmm, that's quite tempting to replace my mother's dialup! She would never use 1GB/month, so I could get a £5/m USB stick for her to browse the internet/read email on her desktop - assuming there's a good 3G signal. (which the VM site claims there is)

Mr Black
03-11-2008, 20:07
I phoned both Virgin Mobile and Virgin Media and neither of them knew anything about the £5 deal!

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Just had a call back from someone at Virgin Media. The deal does exist but their system is down at the moment. I've got to ring back tomorrow.

Sirius
04-11-2008, 19:48
I have phoned twice now, both times i have been told we will phone you back, and you guessed it they never phoned back. So going to sign up with the 3g one tomorrow instead.

jrhnewark
05-11-2008, 03:47
Either they're getting really cheap capacity from T-Mobile (or whoever the real network operator behind their virtual network is), or it's a loss-leader.

How To Make Money Part 1 from Virgin Media!

AndyCambs
05-11-2008, 08:01
Either they're getting really cheap capacity from T-Mobile (or whoever the real network operator behind their virtual network is), or it's a loss-leader.

How To Make Money Part 1 from Virgin Media!

Well I notice it's limited - 1GB compared to the other offers, and since it's only available to L and XL broadband users at £5 - I guess the reasoning is it will be used as top-up facilities not full download as it were.

A good price, and if my train company didn't offer free WiFi I would have gone for the offer!

Sirius
05-11-2008, 18:45
Update

Tried again twice today and was passed from one person to another. The outcome is i have now ordered a new 3g data stick which will arrive tomorrow. 3 were more than happy to take my order and more important for them MY MONEY.

cuggle
15-11-2008, 15:05
just ordered this £5 per month deal after loads of passing from pillar to post between departments! the usb modem is meant to be delivered on wed. will update then if it arrives

ruddock08
20-11-2008, 16:45
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/mobile/broadband.html

link to buy mobile broadband, modem costs 25 squid a month.

AndyCambs
21-11-2008, 16:36
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/mobile/broadband.html

link to buy mobile broadband, modem costs 25 squid a month.

But if you are a Virgin Media Cable customer - it's only a FIVER a month.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/mobile/broadband_tariffs.html

BenMcr
21-11-2008, 16:42
Yes but the dongle is a one off £25 and THEN its £5 per month ;)

AndyCambs
22-11-2008, 10:12
Yes but the dongle is a one off £25 and THEN its £5 per month ;)

Ok -
£25 plus £5 per month with a minimum contract of 12 months - total £85
£0 plus £15 per month with a minimum contract of 18 months - total £270

cuggle
24-11-2008, 22:05
what a complete farce.... they c**ked up my order, lost my bank details then setting it up was just as bad, they told me i was on payg even tho i gave them dd details 3 separate times, they couldnt even get registering and getting adult access to sites authorised.. needless to say i have cancelled my contract, asked for a refund and now get my mobile bb from vodafone at 7.50 per month with free usb modem, it was registered and working right away, and i get 3gig per month.

saabmania2
13-12-2008, 11:01
virgin have got an offer on now that it's still £5 per month but giving you a free usb modem
can i get this offer as an exsisting VM vip lol!!! customer

Kymmy
13-12-2008, 11:13
virgin have got an offer on now that it's still £5 per month but giving you a free usb modem
can i get this offer as an exsisting VM vip lol!!! customer

Nope as you have to sign up for L or XL BB as part of the offer ;)

BenMcr
13-12-2008, 11:21
Before anyone complains, remember that you have to pay at least £15/£30 for the Broadband install.

It's no different than if you take out more than one cable service at the same time. You only pay one set up/install fee.

Take them about seperately and you pay for each install

saabmania2
13-12-2008, 12:56
Nope as you have to sign up for L or XL BB as part of the offer ;)

oh well virgin lose out again then, as i had the choice between them and t-mobile but t-mobile will be cheaper as there giving a free modem and concidering there on the same network i will probably get the same service :)

BenMcr
13-12-2008, 13:06
oh well virgin lose out again then, as i had the choice between them and t-mobile but t-mobile will be cheaper as there giving a free modem and concidering there on the same network i will probably get the same service :)
The free modem with T-mobile is only avalaible if you sign up to a 24 month contract (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/data-plans/pay-monthly/mobile-broadband-laptop/plans/). Otherwise you have to pay for it.

And the monthly price for the 3Gb option is exactly the same at £15 a month

saabmania2
13-12-2008, 20:12
The free modem with T-mobile is only available if you sign up to a 24 month contract (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/data-plans/pay-monthly/mobile-broadband-laptop/plans/). Otherwise you have to pay for it.

And the monthly price for the 3Gb option is exactly the same at £15 a month

no i have been offered a free modem and it's only a 12 month subscription for £5 because i have 3 mobiles with t-mobile (wife's,daughters and mine) plus i deal with them for my work mobile:D obviously t-mobile recognize loyalty ;)

confucious
15-12-2008, 11:24
While 1Gb is fine for most people on their phone it does start to get restrictive when you are using it on a laptop where you have far greater storage capacity. Try downloading Windows service packs or games patches for example, and you would soon go over.

I had to sign up for 18 Month with 3 for a free dongle and 5Gb a month for £7.50/ month but for my phone I am quite happy paying £20.51 (although that will come down now the VAT rate has reduced) for Flext35 and W'n'W Plus with a 3Gb FUP.

:xmas:

BenMcr
15-12-2008, 11:32
The 1Gb stick is designed to be complimentary to VM's fixed home broadband service. I'ts not meant for downloading service packs, but for when you go on a business trip or on holiday.

If you want one as your main service, then its the £15 3Gb they would expect you would go for

confucious
15-12-2008, 12:28
That makes more sense - but how many people buying the 1Gb version know that? People in this thread have been talking about it being ideal for those at Uni etc.

What happens when you reach the 1Gb limit? Do they stop you using for the rest of the month (like Three)? Or warn you and suggest you move to a more suitable price plan (like T-Mobile)? Or just charge vast amounts of money (like Vodafone)?

Three have 1Gb for £10/month and 3Gb for £15/month on 12 month contracts or 5Gb for £15 on an 18 month contract (strangely the £10/ month is still only 1Gb even on 18 Months) all with a free USB dongle - I was lucky and got the 5Gb for half price. But then Three's coverage and speeds are nowhere neer as good as T-mobiles.

SnoopZ
15-12-2008, 12:38
That makes more sense - but how many people buying the 1Gb version know that? People in this thread have been talking about it being ideal for those at Uni etc.

What happens when you reach the 1Gb limit? Do they stop you using for the rest of the month (like Three)? Or warn you and suggest you move to a more suitable price plan (like T-Mobile)? Or just charge vast amounts of money (like Vodafone)?

Three have 1Gb for £10/month and 3Gb for £15/month on 12 month contracts or 5Gb for £15 on an 18 month contract (strangely the £10/ month is still only 1Gb even on 18 Months) all with a free USB dongle - I was lucky and got the 5Gb for half price. But then Three's coverage and speeds are nowhere neer as good as T-mobiles.

I'm on 3 pay as you go(no contract) for for £10 topup a month for 1gig, although i payed £50 for the modem.

confucious
15-12-2008, 13:19
I'm on 3 pay as you go(no contract) for for £10 topup a month for 1gig, although i payed £50 for the modem.

It's that £50 for the modem that makes the difference. If you had been willing to sign up for 12 months you wouldn't have had to pay it. Or if you had signed up for 18 Months you could have got 5Gb/ month for £7.50 with no payment for the modem if you got it at the right time like I did ;) Over 18 months I will be paying £135 which you will have paid if you stay with them for 9 months, but then, you can cancel at any time...

BenMcr
15-12-2008, 13:33
They will know because you can only get the 1Gb option with the fixed broadband services ;)

What happens when you reach the 1Gb limit? Do they stop you using for the rest of the month (like Three)? Or warn you and suggest you move to a more suitable price plan (like T-Mobile)? Or just charge vast amounts of money (like Vodafone)?They warn you before and after you have gone over your limit via a Text Message to your PC, the software provided also allows usage tracking. It is then charged at £15/Gb if you go over the 1Gb

confucious
15-12-2008, 14:34
At least they warn you - unlike Vodafone! ;)

SnoopZ
15-12-2008, 18:46
It's that £50 for the modem that makes the difference. If you had been willing to sign up for 12 months you wouldn't have had to pay it. Or if you had signed up for 18 Months you could have got 5Gb/ month for £7.50 with no payment for the modem if you got it at the right time like I did ;) Over 18 months I will be paying £135 which you will have paid if you stay with them for 9 months, but then, you can cancel at any time...

I don't look at it like that as i only got it to use it at lunchtime at work where i don't have access to broadband, and it's cheaper than buying a bag of crisps and a newspaper. hehe

If i decide not to use it i won't be stuck in a contract i don't want. :)

confucious
15-12-2008, 21:37
Exactly!
Horses for courses and all that :)

ufitm
25-12-2008, 21:15
Ben have you any idea where you can get the various settings
to enable you to set up like ip and server
regards ufitm

BenMcr
26-12-2008, 12:40
Er wouldn't have a clue, as I don't know what you mean by 'ip and server' ;)

ufitm
26-12-2008, 15:41
Er wouldn't have a clue, as I don't know what you mean by 'ip and server' ;)

sorry for not making it clearer what i ment was rhe various settting you need to gett it up and running

BenMcr
26-12-2008, 16:27
Still don't know what you want the settings for.

The software that comes with the dongle manages the connection, so you shouldn't need any settings.

ufitm
26-12-2008, 16:34
Still don't know what you want the settings for.

The software that comes with the dongle manages the connection, so you shouldn't need any settings.

Do you mean the sofware is bulit in the dongle or should there be a disk
with , as no disk came with mine , thanks for your help anyway

BenMcr
26-12-2008, 16:54
No, the software is built into the dongle. It should Autorun when you plug it into a PC

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=mobile.broadband.howdo i.sm374

ufitm
26-12-2008, 21:16
No, the software is built into the dongle. It should Autorun when you plug it into a PC

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=mobile.broadband.howdo i.sm374
thanks it was me doing something wrong regrads ufitm

DaggaDagga
17-02-2009, 20:16
Does anyone know whether Virgin are doing a similar PAYG broadband offer?

I already have a laptop with a 3G modem built in. I just need a sim. I'm not formally employed, so I'd probably fail a credit check. I use Three £10/month PAYG at the moment, but would obviously prefer £5/month.

Would Virgin offer me the £5/month package on a PAYG basis if I fail the credit check after applying? Would they disconnect my home services if I fail their credit check?

Stephen
17-02-2009, 21:17
No PAYG only the £5 a month qith 1Gig downloads for existing customers or the £15 with 3Gig download limit.

WHISTLED
17-02-2009, 21:31
Its a shame we cant use it on our company laptops!

deathtrap3000
24-02-2009, 18:01
Ive just signed up to this deal. £5 a month for the next year. Not bad. Total cost = £64.88. I should have my dongle tomorrow.
Last day to get the dongle for free as well.

HD462
26-02-2009, 12:51
I just got one yesterday too. In fact I'm typing this using it while sat on a bus in the yard at work in my lunch break. Getting a HSDPA connection here, but at home it'll only connect at GPRS speeds. Which I wasn't expecting it to connect at all, all the coverage map says no coverage where we live, which I find strange as we live in the town centre, yet I'm on the edge of town here. But I didn't get it to use at home, I have fixed broadband there, I got it for occasional use when out and about.

jamieclarko
26-02-2009, 16:57
Hmm, that's quite tempting to replace my mother's dialup! She would never use 1GB/month, so I could get a £5/m USB stick for her to browse the internet/read email on her desktop - assuming there's a good 3G signal. (which the VM site claims there is)
Dont listen to them more than likely there's no signal at all i signed up for a 12month contract with t-mobile mobile broadband a few months back, they happily cancelled it though when they realised there signal checker is crap and works out how good your signal would be if it was just a feild with nothing in the way blocking it!

benboy
26-02-2009, 17:39
Would any of you folks know if VM mobile broadband piggybacks on the 3 network?

Its just that there coverage checker is good for me, but the t-mobile one is a bit pants.

BenMcr
26-02-2009, 17:41
No it's T-Mobile (although they and 3 have now entered a mast sharing agreement so who knows which it actually uses now)!

benboy
26-02-2009, 17:51
No it's T-Mobile (although they and 3 have now entered a mast sharing agreement so who knows which it actually uses now)!

Thanks Ben :) That was along the lines i was thinking with the mast sharing idea.

HD462
26-02-2009, 22:44
Last day to get the dongle for free as well.

They've now extended the free dongle offer until the end of June, I just noticed this on the website:

"1GB Mobile Broadband Media exclusive:Free USB modem until 30th June 2009 (normal price £25). Offers available to new and existing Virgin Media customers. Offers: (1) 1 GB for £5 per month; and (2) 1 GB for £10 per month. Eligibility: Offer 1 available with either Virgin Media cable broadband size: L or XL or National Unlimited Broadband and Talk Anytime (Bundle 1). Offer 2 available with either Virgin Media cable broadband size: M or National Unlimited Broadband and Talk Evenings and Weekends (Bundle 2) or National Unlimited Broadband."

deathtrap3000
26-02-2009, 23:04
Yeh ive just seen. I thought they would extend it again.

AndyCambs
27-02-2009, 09:23
They've now extended the free dongle offer until the end of June, I just noticed this on the website:

"1GB Mobile Broadband Media exclusive:Free USB modem until 30th June 2009 (normal price £25). Offers available to new and existing Virgin Media customers. Offers: (1) 1 GB for £5 per month; and (2) 1 GB for £10 per month. Eligibility: Offer 1 available with either Virgin Media cable broadband size: L or XL or National Unlimited Broadband and Talk Anytime (Bundle 1). Offer 2 available with either Virgin Media cable broadband size: M or National Unlimited Broadband and Talk Evenings and Weekends (Bundle 2) or National Unlimited Broadband."

Strange - that page says £20 per month but rising to £25 per month?

BenMcr
27-02-2009, 09:45
Yes - because its counting the standalone BB L offer - which is £15 for six months and then £20 per month (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3264) + £5 dongle price

If you got it with the BB L + Phone offer (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/bb_deal_size_l.html) it would £21 per month rising to £30 after 3 months

dilli-theclaw
27-02-2009, 10:14
Can I get this via my offnet connection?

BenMcr
27-02-2009, 10:19
Yes - it says it in the terms of the offer ;)

Offer 1 (£5pm) available with...National Unlimited Broadband and Talk Anytime (Bundle 1).

Offer 2 (£10pm) available with...National Unlimited Broadband and Talk Evenings and Weekends (Bundle 2) or National Unlimited Broadband.

dilli-theclaw
27-02-2009, 11:24
I may well give them a call later on :) - cheers

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Looks like mine is now on it's way too :)

AndyCambs
27-02-2009, 13:02
Yes - it says it in the terms of the offer ;)

Offer 1 (£5pm) available with...National Unlimited Broadband and Talk Anytime (Bundle 1).

Offer 2 (£10pm) available with...National Unlimited Broadband and Talk Evenings and Weekends (Bundle 2) or National Unlimited Broadband.

Well I am on a package - so I find those prices very confusing.

BenMcr
27-02-2009, 14:05
That's because those are for Virgin National/ADSL customers

For cable customers it's simple:-

If you are on BB M it's £10 extra

If you are on BB L, XL or XXL it's £5 extra

dilli-theclaw
28-02-2009, 15:35
I now have mine :tu: which works well even in a non 3g area. Nice

HD462
28-02-2009, 16:19
I'm on mine again now too. I just did a speed test and it picked it up as T-Mobile (would do as that's the network it runs on), and a download speed of just over 2Mbps which is ok, fine for the sort of stuff I'll do mobile.

I did notice when I logged into my account on the Virgin site that they'd set the credit limit to £100 which I find a bit high. I'd rather it was just £10 or so, or even just cuts me off when my 1Gig is used up, as I don't want to accidentally run a bill up by doing something that uses a lot of data, forgetting I'm not at home.

I phoned them up to see if I could lower the credit limit to £10 or even £20, but she said the lowest they're allowed to lower it to is £50, which I still find high. But she said she would give feedback, as they've been asked to collect customer feedback, and a lot of people have been saying the same thing about the credit limit. So she's lowered it to £50 for now, and it's a case of watch this space.

BenMcr
28-02-2009, 16:44
Remember they do send a text just before and just after you hit your usage allowance

deathtrap3000
02-03-2009, 14:52
I did notice when I logged into my account on the Virgin site that they'd set the credit limit to £100 which I find a bit high. I'd rather it was just £10 or so, or even just cuts me off when my 1Gig is used up, as I don't want to accidentally run a bill up by doing something that uses a lot of data, forgetting I'm not at home.

Mines been set to £150 :shocked:
Ill have to get it lowered or ill end up having a nasty bill soon.

AndyCambs
13-05-2009, 07:15
Just wondering what the connection is like if you are outside 3G areas?
I travel through to London on the train, and the onboard WiFi connection is hopeless. What's this going to be like (presumably I may have problems in tunnels)? Anyone have any experience or comments that might assist?

dilli-theclaw
13-05-2009, 07:17
Well as long as I can get a mobile signal I can use mine. So no tunnels ;) BUT if it's not in a 3G area it drops back to gprs so it's quite slow then.

AndyCambs
13-05-2009, 07:22
Well as long as I can get a mobile signal I can use mine. So no tunnels ;) BUT if it's not in a 3G area it drops back to gprs so it's quite slow then.

Slow as in painfully slow? According to the map I am in and out of 3G areas. I just wondering whether it's viable.

dilli-theclaw
13-05-2009, 07:30
About the same as dial up. So it's ok uless you are accessing sites with heavy graphical content.

So, for example, if you were going to look at CF you'd be better off disabling sigs so that it loads quicker.

MSN works fine though.

edit - I see you are not a hundred miles away from me in Bedfordshire (Potton) so if you really wanted to try you could pop over and have a fiddle if you like.

AndyCambs
13-05-2009, 07:55
About the same as dial up. So it's ok uless you are accessing sites with heavy graphical content.

So, for example, if you were going to look at CF you'd be better off disabling sigs so that it loads quicker.

MSN works fine though.

edit - I see you are not a hundred miles away from me in Bedfordshire (Potton) so if you really wanted to try you could pop over and have a fiddle if you like.

That's awfully kind of you. I'm still wondering what National Express East Coast have in mind for the WiFi - having decided to up the off-peak fares by 11% and whack on a seat reservation fee of £2.50, I can't see them leaving the WiFi as free much longer

Velcrohead
14-05-2009, 13:21
Is there any way of getting this online?
I cannot see anything in my account page so am presuming not:(
Cheers.

AndyCambs
14-05-2009, 14:07
Is there any way of getting this online?
I cannot see anything in my account page so am presuming not:(
Cheers.

If you already have Virgin Media Broadband, you need to call VM Sales, if you already have a Virgin Mobile account, they'll put you through to Virgin Mobile who process the sale.

There is a £4.88 delivery charge for the unit and you will be subject to another credit reference check.

The phone number is here (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/mobile/broadband_tariffs.html)

Already with us? Just give our team a call on 0845 045 7979 to get this great offer.

Velcrohead
14-05-2009, 15:45
If you already have Virgin Media Broadband, you need to call VM Sales, if you already have a Virgin Mobile account, they'll put you through to Virgin Mobile who process the sale.

There is a £4.88 delivery charge for the unit and you will be subject to another credit reference check.

The phone number is here (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/mobile/broadband_tariffs.html)

Cheers, I know the number is on the site but its so so so much easier doing it online.
I will give them a ring later.

AndyCambs
14-05-2009, 16:13
Cheers, I know the number is on the site but its so so so much easier doing it online.
I will give them a ring later.

I did this morning - they're quite good.
It's the Virgin Media and Virgin Mobile thing as well two separate companies, but they do have access to check at Virgin Mobile what subscriptions you have. They asked when I wanted the unit delivered -Friday or Saturday as it has to be signed for. They will want a credit card for the £4.88 delivery charge, which I presume is £5 less the VAT difference.

Oh yes, and to save time, if you already have a Virgin Mobile phone account, make sure you mention that when you start as they just put you through then to Virgin Mobile - it saves adding all the account details with V Mobile again.

Velcrohead
14-05-2009, 16:41
I did this morning - they're quite good.
It's the Virgin Media and Virgin Mobile thing as well two separate companies, but they do have access to check at Virgin Mobile what subscriptions you have. They asked when I wanted the unit delivered -Friday or Saturday as it has to be signed for. They will want a credit card for the £4.88 delivery charge, which I presume is £5 less the VAT difference.

Oh yes, and to save time, if you already have a Virgin Mobile phone account, make sure you mention that when you start as they just put you through then to Virgin Mobile - it saves adding all the account details with V Mobile again.

Ok, Cheers, Just waiting for my phone and TV install to be finished then I will call them.

Velcrohead
14-05-2009, 19:12
Just rang up and ordered, What a lovely lady that was on the other end.

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

Scrap that, Seems they dont want to take my money.
I will connect up with my orange connection instead.

Lord Nikon
15-05-2009, 04:43
I think I'll stick with my orange connection as backup / mobile too. I am on an unlimited anytime data addon at zero additional cost.

Velcrohead
15-05-2009, 06:36
I think I'll stick with my orange connection as backup / mobile too. I am on an unlimited anytime data addon at zero additional cost.

They said I didnt meet the credit criteria, Funny how I already have an Orange phone that needs credit checking, not to mention the actual broadband and TV, phone install as well.
Like you, I have a deal with Orange, I thought it would just be a bit easier with the dongle, But nevermind.

AndyCambs
15-05-2009, 14:29
They said I didnt meet the credit criteria, Funny how I already have an Orange phone that needs credit checking, not to mention the actual broadband and TV, phone install as well.
Like you, I have a deal with Orange, I thought it would just be a bit easier with the dongle, But nevermind.

i can quite understand them having a credit check (after all you can run up bills on the thing). However, I think they should tell you which reference agency is used or how they failed your check so you can ensure there are no incorrect entries on the reference agencies.
I think it's obligatory for them to disclose this - albeit at a fee.

Velcrohead
15-05-2009, 16:19
i can quite understand them having a credit check (after all you can run up bills on the thing). However, I think they should tell you which reference agency is used or how they failed your check so you can ensure there are no incorrect entries on the reference agencies.
I think it's obligatory for them to disclose this - albeit at a fee.

Don't get me wrong, I does not bother me in the slightest.
I know all about the finding out etc, I just cant be bothered.
Cheers.

smcaul
25-05-2009, 08:35
I got one last week, where I live I get the full 3.6mps haven't used it out and about yet but as it runs off the T-Mobile network most places I go to have 3G coverage. Had one small problem installing that turned out to be a corrupt network stack in my XP, had to do full re-install of xp on my laptop, but that was long overdue anyway so not a Virgin or the Dongles problem.

Only issue I did have was ordering, had to call 3 times, twice I was told order had failed due to credit check ?!?!?! was told to call Virgin Mobile to order and they could sort it out, called them (Phillipino call ctr) ordered again and was told all was ok and to expect next day delivery, but it never happened, had to email a contact I have within VM to get the ball rolling, turns out my order placed could not be found!!!!!!

Also, if you have more then one Virgin Mobile phone that could cause you to fail the credit check. Apperently the default limit seems to be 2 contracts with them, I have 2 mobiles on DD with them so that is why I failed the credit check (so they say). All sorted now though.

But Three Mobile did manage to deliver a dongle that was ordered 2 days after the virgin one, one day earlier!! But comparing the 2 side by side the Virgin one is about twice as fast as the Three dongle (at my home address anyway).

nutellajunkie
06-09-2009, 21:29
i wouldny know what to do with a whole gig! haha..

Phatfcuk
30-09-2009, 12:17
Thought I'd add to this, I bought a mobile broadband deal for a 5er last November and I get pretty much 3.6 meg connection most times.

Loading graphical content is surprisingly speedy, if you do get that connection speed. On occasions I haven't, (a handful of times since November) and it has taken longer, but it is mobile, after all!

deathtrap3000
30-09-2009, 19:01
I get pretty much 3.6 meg connection most times.

Wouldnt be so sure about that. Just because it says you are connected at 3.6meg, doesnt mean you are going to get anything near that.

BenMcr
02-10-2009, 18:29
Virgin have updated the Mobile Broadband options - and now have 2 month contract options

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/mobile.html

For Virgin Media customers they now get 20% off the price meaning 1Gb is now £8 and 3Gb is now £12

AndyCambs
02-10-2009, 19:35
I am confused - I get my 1GB at £5 per month though?

BenMcr
02-10-2009, 19:37
Existing mobile broadband customers aren't affected, so if you have the £5 option you keep the £5 option

If you upgraded to the 3Gb stick you would pay £12