PDA

View Full Version : Network problems

Hofmann
31-10-2008, 15:59
Hey, I'm in the PH1 area and trying to set up a network with my Virgin Media connection so that I can use both my other PC online and also Xbox Live.

I have a SciAtl 2100 modem (I think this is the standard UK one) and am connected to Virgin's 20MB service.

The main computer works perfectly fine and connects to the internet no problem (other than the poor speeds, but that's not what this is about ;)). It is connected to the modem via a NetLynx 8-switch adaptor.

The other PC and my Xbox are also connected to this NetLynx switch but cannot connect to the internet. The PC shows up as having 'Limited or no connectivity' and the Xbox fails all diagnostic checks when trying to connect to Xbox Live. I have tried connecting both the Xbox and second computer directly to the modem (bypassing the switch) with numerous cables but have had no luck so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that could help? It'd be greatly appreciated :D.

spacespacespacespacespacespacespacespacespac / Xbox
Socket - SciAtl 2100 modem - NetLynx switch - PC a
spacespacespacespacespacespacespacespacespac \ PC b

Joxer
31-10-2008, 16:14
You need a router, rather than a switch. you could try using static ip's in the 192.168.100.x (where x is between 2 and 254) and the default gateway as 192.168.100.1, it might work, but don't complain if it doesn't. The motorola modems have a method to connect multiple devices through a switch or hub but it is so fiddly it is hardly worth it.

Aragorn
31-10-2008, 16:16
:welcome:
Afraid you need a 'Cable Router', not a switch :(
A switch is mainly useful for adding extra ports behind an existing router, but it doesn't have the ability to share one broadband connection among multiple devices.
The first device powered on will be the only one to get the BB, ie if you power of both PC's, the XBox could use BB, but I doubt that's what you want.

Fingers
31-10-2008, 16:44
The posts above are correct, a switch will not allocate IP addresses to the other devices. This is done by something called a DHCP server and is standard on almost all cable firewall/routers.

You could get around it by manually entering IP addresses on your connected kit but I don't know your particular modem so can't vouch for the success of that. You can get cable mode/routers very cheaply although, like always, you get what you pay for.

I can recommend the D-Link DIR-655 cable firewall/router. Very good piece of kit, gives you wireless (assuming you need or would use that) and has good configuration options. It has also come down in price loads since I bought mine (ain't it always the case).

I am sure others will be able to recommend others as well.

Hofmann
31-10-2008, 18:03
Many thanks for the help, I'll take a trip into town tomorrow and pick one up :)

Hofmann
01-11-2008, 14:21
Managed to get a hold of a Belkin 4-Port router, swapped it for the NetLynx switch and it works perfectly. Thanks very much for your help!