PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth availability by area

Hex
30-10-2008, 16:38
Before I start, I'd like to say this is not a complaint post, merely an observation and curiosity.

I've noticed something today.
I have the 20Mb connection, as does a friend that lives one street away, connected via a different cab. Whilst talking to him on Skype I started downloading a file, it started running fine at ~2100kbps as normal. Then I noticed the speed drop as he started to download something, my speed dropped to ~1200kbps, with his running at the same speed. So we decided to test this out, when he paused his download, mine would return to full speed, and vice versa when I paused mine.

Also, on running the bandwidth test linked from the forums with my download finished at this point, my speed test would result in a 6-8Mb reading whilst his download was running, and the usual 17-18Mb reading whilst his download was paused.

This makes me wonder how bandwidth is limited by area. There cant be more than 4 or 5 other people connected to VM on this street, and no more than 3 on his, This is a small town and most people use ADSL as the local exchange is rather close.

It's also a worrying sign with the 50Mb not far behind if they struggle to provide 2 connections running at full speed in a local area.

Anyone noticed anything similar to this?

stevos
30-10-2008, 18:37
i havent tried anything like that but i do hear alot about UBR's being oversubscribed. perhaps virgin should either
a) increase UBR bandwidth or whatever they do to improve speeds
b) limit the amount of customers on a UBR
c) lower their services, bring a download/upload ratio of 25mbp/5mbp and more upload and other tiers like 12mbp/3mbp, 4mbp/2mbp something similar to that

xspeedyx
30-10-2008, 18:39
The upload is limited due to the analogue freq and no channel bonding on the upstream yet not until late 2009

Thomas.Fisk
30-10-2008, 21:24
I believe you get 36Mb down, 8Mbit up. So yes, two 20Mb users can saturate the line.

Ignitionnet
30-10-2008, 22:03
Depending where you are 38Mbit or 51Mbit.

Upstream in present configuration is 8.8Mbit each, it does scale to around 27Mbit on a single upstream.

rossdagley
31-10-2008, 00:35
So to clarify, *two* 20Mbit users can saturate a UBR?

haha. Classic. Roll on 50Mbit and the internet M25 :)