PDA

View Full Version : House Deeds

SMG
30-10-2008, 15:14
My bank, RBS doesnt keep house deeds anymore, can anyone advise me if there is a safe place to keep them? Other banks etc.

(Not under the bed)

Ta

Chris
30-10-2008, 15:28
Moved to 'Lifestyle'.

Presumably this is because you've paid off the mortgage? Your mortgage lender, if you have one, would normally keep the deeds.

I expect you could ask your solicitor about safe storage of documents of that sort.

Scarlett
30-10-2008, 15:43
these guys (http://www.sds-storage.co.uk/deed-storage/) looks like you have to call for a quote though.

seems to have been discussed here (http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=4711) as well.

AndyCambs
30-10-2008, 15:44
My building society keeps them if you leave £1 outstanding on the mortgage.

Escapee
30-10-2008, 16:27

I understand the majority stopped that service a few years ago, there may still be some that do it.

The building society now only keep the latest deeds anyway, I got all the deeds going back to the early 1800's for my land.

I understand solicitors offer a service to keep deeds, and they are making a good amount out of it.

Maggy
30-10-2008, 16:51
Abbey Nat still have my deeds for a nominal sum per month.:) They were my mortgage provider however.

SMG
30-10-2008, 17:07
Its difficult to find somewhere to store deeds, apparently there is limited space available. The best bet it seems is to continue with the provider for a nominal sum.

TSB do a safe deposit box for £25.00 per year, but I have decided to go for a hidden fire proof safe that can store other important docs too.

Thanks.:)

Escapee
30-10-2008, 17:16
Abbey Nat still have my deeds for a nominal sum per month.:) They were my mortgage provider however.

Out of interest how long ago did the mortgage end?

My parents are/were with Abbey National and mentioned the mortgage was ending. I'm sure they said they could not leave £1 to pay as they did with their previous house.

It has become a problem for a lot of people.

Sorry just realised the nominal sum, previously it was a matter of leaving £1 outstanding.

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Its difficult to find somewhere to store deeds, apparently there is limited space available. The best bet it seems is to continue with the provider for a nominal sum.

TSB do a safe deposit box for £25.00 per year, but I have decided to go for a hidden fire proof safe that can store other important docs too.

Thanks.:)

Where are you thinking of putting it.:D

Maggy
30-10-2008, 17:16
out of interest how long ago did the mortgage end?

My parents are/were with abbey national and mentioned the mortgage was ending. I'm sure they said they could not leave £1 to pay as they did with their previous house.

It has become a problem for a lot of people.

2002.:)

Escapee
30-10-2008, 17:25
2002.:)

It may be different now then, there mortgage was very low but finished sometime this year.

Theres is probably under the bed.;)

As they have not spoken to me for 2 months I'm not sure though.:erm:

SMHarman
30-10-2008, 18:19
http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/register_dev/voluntary/

They could just register the land for about GBP30 then the deeds become a historical artifact.

admars
30-10-2008, 19:46
I think my parents' house deed are with the Nationwide, and they leave £1 in the mortgage account so nationwide hold onto them.

Dedds for my house are with the solicitor we used to buy the house, no ongoing fee.

tweetypie/8
30-10-2008, 20:37

same here.

joesnake
30-10-2008, 20:40
If your property is registered at the Land Registry, which I assume it is, then there is no legal reason to keep deeds. If you buy a house now it is unlikely that you will get them. When I bought my house outright 2 years ago that is the advice that my solicitor gave me.

Maggy
30-10-2008, 21:23
If your property is registered at the Land Registry, which I assume it is, then there is no legal reason to keep deeds. If you buy a house now it is unlikely that you will get them. When I bought my house outright 2 years ago that is the advice that my solicitor gave me.

They are historic documents however and probably worth keeping for that reason alone especially for older property.

SMG
30-10-2008, 21:40
We obviously have other documents, (as probably most of you do) which would be difficult, if not impossible to replace. With the gaffs the Banks & Bldg Society's are dropping, I think a well placed safe would be as, if not more secure, & much more flexible.

I have a firearms locker (Used in a previous life) in a very secure location, but, in todays society, any burglar or thief would think it was his birthday if it were discovered. Also, it is not fire resistant. I suspect the cheapest option would be for the Bldg Soc to keep them for £1.00 p.a. Not applicable in my case.

Perhaps SMHarman`s suggestion would be an idea too.

Escapee: In a "safe" place of course!;)

allanprg
30-10-2008, 22:21
My deeds are with the soliciter. Have been for 30 years. No charge for this either.:)

Dai
30-10-2008, 23:20
They are historic documents however and probably worth keeping for that reason alone especially for older property.

Indeed. My property in Brecon, South Wales was built in 1625 and the deeds were a historic document. Much more interesting than some entry on a Land Registry computer..

Escapee
01-11-2008, 11:07

Especially if there is any dispute over boundry walls etc.

I have a current situation where a retaining wall at the front of my land is starting to fall apart. This situation was recently made worse when the council came along and cleared away a lot of earth against the wall.

The deeds I have show that in 1889 the Urban District Council made a compulsory purchase of land to build the main road. the council then built the retaining wall to enable then to build the road.

Without these old deeds, it would be a lot more trouble to prove responsibility. I have replied to the council with this information and have heard nothing back from them, I believe now the responsibility is in their court nothing will happen.

Even though they were threatening me if I did not repair the wall.:D

SMHarman
04-11-2008, 19:46
However that is all they are. Historic documents, not proof of title. 20 odd years ago, pre-electronic land registry, once you were mortgage free that was the proof you owned your (generally) largest asset. If the place burned down with the title deeds inside it then it was a bit of a palava to get new ones.
Nowdays it is all in the computer. When there are gaps in the land registry it is a nightmare. My old house had a 6 in strip of land between the footpath and the house that was unowned (probably an error in the registry) but it needed a whole pile of additional work to get the sale through as technically I was trespassing on someones land each time I drove up my drive!

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:44 ----------

Though I am wondering if there is any form of registration when the charge is taken off the land by the mortgagee.

Maggy
04-11-2008, 20:59
However that is all they are. Historic documents, not proof of title. 20 odd years ago, pre-electronic land registry, once you were mortgage free that was the proof you owned your (generally) largest asset. If the place burned down with the title deeds inside it then it was a bit of a palava to get new ones.
Nowdays it is all in the computer. When there are gaps in the land registry it is a nightmare. My old house had a 6 in strip of land between the footpath and the house that was unowned (probably an error in the registry) but it needed a whole pile of additional work to get the sale through as technically I was trespassing on someones land each time I drove up my drive!

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:44 ----------

Though I am wondering if there is any form of registration when the charge is taken off the land by the mortgagee.

Historic documents in them self have financial value especially really old ones... so worth preserving? That was my thinking.;)