PDA

View Full Version : Phone not ringing with incoming call

Trixi67
29-10-2008, 09:30
Hi

I'm new to this forum and have a problem with my phone. We had Virgin TV, BB and phoneline installed on Friday, and we're in an ex-NTL area. TV and wireless BB are perfect.

The problem is with my twin BT Studio 1100 phones - it just won't ring when there's an incoming call. The Caller ID shows up ok in the screen and it may emit one half-beep and then nothing. If you pick the phone up you connect ok to the caller and you can dial out ok, it just won't ring! We've tried an old-fashioned, non-electric, corded phone and that rings perfectly and I've even tried taking the BT Studio 1100 phone to my Mum's to check that it's not faulty and it rings perfectly well when connected to her normal BT line.

So, is it a problem with my Virgin phone line or is the BT Studio 1100 just not compatible with a Virgin phone line?

Any advice, help will really be appreciated. I've spoken to Virgin and they have remotely checked the line and say it's all ok.

whydoIneedatech
29-10-2008, 09:37
It does sound like an issue with the phones because you have checked everything yourself and Virgin have checked the line.

How old are the phones and do yiu have the receipt, if they are not to old return them, otherwise buy a new set and try them, if they work you know the others were faulty.

Trixi67
29-10-2008, 09:42
Thanks for replying. The phones are two years old now and receipt is long gone! May well buy some new ones from Argos and have a try - but which ones? Should I avoid the BT branded ones?

whydoIneedatech
29-10-2008, 09:45
Have a look on http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/ where you can compare prices and also check out http://www.amazon.co.uk/ as they have some really good offers.

The is so much choice out there now best to make up your own mind.

Trixi67
29-10-2008, 10:51
Thanks again for your help. Have ordered a Panasonic twin from Amazon (cheaper than Argos), so fingers crossed it works when it arrives.

whydoIneedatech
29-10-2008, 21:36
Thanks again for your help. Have ordered a Panasonic twin from Amazon (cheaper than Argos), so fingers crossed it works when it arrives.
Amazon is quite a good site nowadays, especially with a lot of items having free postage if the price is more than £5.

fudge
31-10-2008, 16:24
BT branded should be ok , i have a BT branded phone and is ok with my virgin net work

jsmaunder
02-11-2008, 12:11
I have the same problem. Just spent 90 punds on new phone as was told by Virgin it was the phone but have the same problem. Would also appreciate help with this one.

Angua
02-11-2008, 13:29
Worth always having a cheap corded phone as backup and to check if it is actually a line fault or a phone fault.

CM20 User
03-11-2008, 13:24
I am also experiencing this problem, exactly as the OP describes.

So are many of my neighbours, it's got to be a fault with Virgin Media.

CM20 User
04-11-2008, 11:18
My phone is now working again, however if the person calling me ends the call before I answer the phone it continues to ring for a further 7-10 seconds.

Turkey Machine
04-11-2008, 15:12
Well I guess that's one thing BT can do right. A proper phone line! :D