PDA

View Full Version : Will adding Tv to my services slow down the net ?

Halcyon
28-10-2008, 17:56
At the moment I am on the 2mb connection and keep getting letters saying that for the price I pay I could be getting the TV pack for free.

Has anyone noticed if adding TV to your line affects the broadband speeds and if so how much ?

I was just wondering about this and if it had any effect.

Thanks,

Halcyon.

Stuart
28-10-2008, 17:58
It doesn't affect broadband, as they are carried on different frequency ranges in the cable.

dilli-theclaw
28-10-2008, 17:59
It didn't slow down my connection when I had TV and BB...

whydoIneedatech
28-10-2008, 18:07
It is piggybacked on to the Broadband signal and uses a different frequency, it never affected me when I was on 2MB and I have always had a separate STB and modem, I would go for it and ask if they can do you a deal.

Halcyon
28-10-2008, 18:12
Thankyou for your help. :tu:

I was wondering, at the moment my modem plugs into a little box on the wall saying TV.
There is also one saying FM.

Can I use the one that says FM for the TV box ? If not how will the TV box connect ?

Thankyou. I know nothing about the Tv side of things.

halcyon.

whydoIneedatech
28-10-2008, 18:19
Thankyou for your help. :tu:

I was wondering, at the moment my modem plugs into a little box on the wall saying TV.
There is also one saying FM.

Can I use the one that says FM for the TV box ? If not how will the TV box connect ?

Thankyou. I know nothing about the Tv side of things.

halcyon.
You do have an "old box" on your wall, If I remember right that was for so called Surround sound, when I had my original installation the engineer ran a second cable around my wall to my Stereo and plugged it into the FM socket and you then tuned the radio to a channel which produced Stereo TV sound from your radio while you watched TV, it was when we had the old Analogue STB.

Brings back memories.

Would have no need of it with a modern STB.

Stuart
28-10-2008, 18:33
You do have an "old box" on your wall, If I remember right that was for so called Surround sound, when I had my original installation the engineer ran a second cable around my wall to my Stereo and plugged it into the FM socket and you then tuned the radio to a channel which produced Stereo TV sound from your radio while you watched TV, it was when we had the old Analogue STB.

Brings back memories.

Would have no need of it with a modern STB.

Don't know if they still do (I'm not at home so can't try it) but in ex-NTL, Nynex, Cable and Wireless and NTL apparently used to rebroadcast FM radio stations through the FM socket. They would be on different frequencies, but you'd get excellent reception even in a poor reception area.

whydoIneedatech
28-10-2008, 18:37
Don't know if they still do (I'm not at home so can't try it) but in ex-NTL, Nynex, Cable and Wireless and NTL apparently used to rebroadcast FM radio stations through the FM socket. They would be on different frequencies, but you'd get excellent reception even in a poor reception area.
I was just reminiscing over the Stereo for TV, it did also serve as a FM aerial, no idea if it still works though.;)

Halcyon
28-10-2008, 18:42
I think this used to work. There were details by cableforum member Altis:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altisuk/fm/index.htm

The reason I ask if I can use the FM for TV is that this box is located in the room where I want the TV box to be.

The hook up box on my wall is similar to this:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altisuk/fm/isolator.jpg

whydoIneedatech
28-10-2008, 18:46
As you can see it takes the same connector as the STB or modem, have them book you a manned installation then you can ask the engineer and maybe get a lead made up while he is there.;)

Halcyon
28-10-2008, 19:37
Thanks,
I was hoping to go for the self install as all I would need is to hook up the lead and connect the box but I realise it may be best to get a tech to check everything first.

whydoIneedatech
28-10-2008, 19:42
Thanks,
I was hoping to go for the self install as all I would need is to hook up the lead and connect the box but I realise it may be best to get a tech to check everything first.
And cadge a length of cable of him if the FM still works.;)

Halcyon
28-10-2008, 20:00
Just had a quick look and it appears although on my plastic box it says there is both TV and FM, there is only one connection as shown in the photo below.

In that case, I assume I will have to have another cable going from the brown box at the front of the house instead then ? Which is annoying but I guess I'l have to do that.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=17139&stc=1&d=1225223923

spiderplant
28-10-2008, 20:07
You'll just need a splitter to split the cable at the output from the isolator. It's all part of the self-install kit.

[TV] is piggybacked on to the Broadband signal
Surely you've got that the wrong way round? :)

Halcyon
28-10-2008, 20:09
Ah that sounds good Spiderplant. Thankyou :tu:

whydoIneedatech
28-10-2008, 20:18
Still have the manned install in case the are any issues with the connection of the STB.

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

Surely you've got that the wrong way round? :)
If it was not for Broadband technology then we would not have DTV, basically a by product is how our trainers put it.

[/quote]It was the development of "broadband" cable, capable of supporting a 750MHz+ bandwidth and served by a fibre-optic backbone that took cable TV forward in the mid-nineties. By then, consolidation was the key, with the first major acquisition being the American company International CableTel purchasing Insight Communications along with franchise-holders in South Wales and other regions. 1994 was a big build year for the industry, as it sought to cover as many homes as possible in order to rival satellite provider Sky.[/quote]

Cable History (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cable/history/)

spiderplant
28-10-2008, 22:14
If it was not for Broadband technology then we would not have DTV, basically a by product is how our trainers put it.Spell that with a small 'b' and I would agree.

But I wasn't talking about digital TV. ;)

whydoIneedatech
28-10-2008, 22:22
Spell that with a small 'b' and I would agree.

But I wasn't talking about digital TV. ;)
You were talking about Logie Baird, I meant digital.:p:

Arthurgray50@blu
28-10-2008, 22:34
I was actually told by the engineer, that there are two, cables that come into my house, and they are attached to each other, one for TV and one for the phone and BB, was l being wound up. And it can carry 1000 channels, apart from radio channels.

whydoIneedatech
28-10-2008, 22:37
I was actually told by the engineer, that there are two, cables that come into my house, and they are attached to each other, one for TV and one for the phone and BB, was l being wound up. And it can carry 1000 channels, apart from radio channels.
Slightly wrong, the is a siamese twin cable coming into your property, one side is for broadband with digital television piggybacked on to it, the other smaller cable is for your phoneline.