PDA

View Full Version : 20mb and keep getting disconnected

Arbs
28-10-2008, 15:54
Hi,

I have recently taken out the XL package for 20mb and keep getting disconnected randomly, I have checked modem info looks ok as below:

Downstream Value
Frequency 338750000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Power Level 9 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 41000000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 58 dBmV

Modem being used is a Motorola SB4200 can anyone give me any suggestions on how to resolve problem?

whydoIneedatech
28-10-2008, 16:19
Hi,

I have recently taken out the XL package for 20mb and keep getting disconnected randomly, I have checked modem info looks ok as below:

Downstream Value
Frequency 338750000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Power Level 9 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 41000000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 58 dBmV

Modem being used is a Motorola SB4200 can anyone give me any suggestions on how to resolve problem?

Go to http://192.168.100.1/config.html and change the frequency to 339000000 then click save changes then click restart cable modem, close webpage and when modem has restarted click the above link and make sure the frequency has locked on 339000000.

I would also advise calling Tech Support as the Upstream power level is on the high side at 58dBmv

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arbs
28-10-2008, 16:27
Ok done that.

Should this stop my disconnections??

whydoIneedatech
28-10-2008, 16:44
Ok done that.

Should this stop my disconnections??
Has the frequency stayed on 339000000, then that will help as it would have been like listening to a radio station out of tune which would cause disconnections.

Keep an eye on it and if the Upstream does not come down call Tech Support.

Arbs
28-10-2008, 16:58
Frequency has locked i will keep an eye on it but i will give tech a call and post response.

Thanks for help. Download speeds are very poor only getting 2.25mb from the blueyonder test download site could this be a further problem linked to above?

whydoIneedatech
28-10-2008, 17:00
Frequency has locked i will keep an eye on it but i will give tech a call and post response.

Thanks for help. Download speeds are very poor only getting 2.25mb from the blueyonder test download site could this be a further problem linked to above?
Which speed test site this one

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you are a Virgin Media customer then the best speedtest is from the link below.

Have you tried going to this link to check your speeds http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/

click on blueyondergames>demos>then click on at least 2 large files around 400/500 mb and save them to your desktop, and then wait a couple of minutes then write down the transfer rates on the files that are running > times them by 8 and you will get a truer download speed.

Remember to stop and delete the files.

i.e : 250kBps X 8 = 2MB, 500kBps X 8 = 4MB, 1250kBps X 8 = 10MB, 2500kBps X 8 = 20MB
-----------------------------------------------------------

Axegrinder
28-10-2008, 17:02
2.2.5mb/s or 2.25mb? Because if your getting 2.25mb/s that is ok for 20meg.

Arbs
28-10-2008, 17:18
It sounds as if my D/L speed is correct, but in the meantime i have contacted tech support regarding the high upstream power level and they have advised they will replace my modem and refund me money for not receiving the appropraite service. They advised my modem is now out of date.

Thanks for the suppport guys and i have got an excellent result. If i have further problems with my new modem i will be back. ;)

whydoIneedatech
28-10-2008, 18:21
It sounds as if my D/L speed is correct, but in the meantime i have contacted tech support regarding the high upstream power level and they have advised they will replace my modem and refund me money for not receiving the appropraite service. They advised my modem is now out of date.

Thanks for the suppport guys and i have got an excellent result. If i have further problems with my new modem i will be back. ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------

When the new modem arrives you will need to call Quickstart on 0800 953 9500 to get it added to your account, before you call take a note of the HFC MAC address from the sticker onbase as you will be asked for it, and connect your modem up the same way as your old one.

------------------------------------------------