PDA

View Full Version : Router settings for VM broadband not cable

Rchivist
28-10-2008, 12:00
Greetings.
I am trying to help a friend who has VM broadband via his phone line - ADSL not cable. Netgear wireless router, (not sure of model) bought in April. (not the speedtouch usb modem which he no longer has)

His router was set up by someone else and since the weekend he now has no internet connection, either using ethernet or wireless with either a laptop or desktop computer

I am trying to assemble the various bits of information needed, to go and give some assistance. Until I have visited I know very little and he has very little technical knowledge so the information is a bit vague at the moment.

I have had a trawl through the VM help pages but they seem geared solely to the Speedtouch usb modem and are not much help for a third party router which may need setting up from scratch if we do a factory reset.

1 - what are the connection details needed for putting into a netgear router, such as the VM ADSL username and password to connect to the ADSL at the exchange, and the other technical settings for the router to connect to the ADSL.

2 - anyone know what the home page address for a netgear router GUI is? And what the default username and password are for the GUI?

3 - he reports loss of ADSL connection, not solved by a power down of router or computers, but with all lights on router working as per normal. Any suggestions please?

I'm a BT customer myself, and familiar with BT Voyager and Home Hub settings but I know nothing about Virgin ADSL (I didn't even know they did ADSL, thought it was only cable)
I can take a BT Voyager wireless router with me to try out as well if I have to.

All assistance gratefully received.

smeagoly1
28-10-2008, 14:39
Hi firstly i think the router home page is :- http://192.168.0.1/
I am using a netgear DG 834 G V3 supplied by VM. I am not sure of teh password you ahve to use on yours, but VM supplied ones are User Name:- Virgin with password :- password.

Firstly i would connect wired, before setting up the radio side of things, just to make sure everythign is working.

Login will be the details Virgin account name theygave you in basic settings.
i.e jo.bloggs@adsl.virgin.net and the password they gave you.
ADSL in the username is important.

Rchivist
29-10-2008, 00:13
Hi firstly i think the router home page is :- http://192.168.0.1/
I am using a netgear DG 834 G V3 supplied by VM. I am not sure of teh password you ahve to use on yours, but VM supplied ones are User Name:- Virgin with password :- password.

Firstly i would connect wired, before setting up the radio side of things, just to make sure everythign is working.

Login will be the details Virgin account name theygave you in basic settings.
i.e jo.bloggs@adsl.virgin.net and the password they gave you.
ADSL in the username is important.

Could you just clarify about the router default username/password - I don't really understand what you have said there.

Router default username:=
Router default password:=

And does anyone have a router GUI url other than an IP address - like http://netgear.home or something?

and other tech settings for the adsl connection? ppoa etc.?

Thanks for the help so far.

Chris
29-10-2008, 00:22
Don't know how useful this is to you, but here's the setup page from my router. I am connected to Virgin.net ADSL.

You should ignore the static DNS settings at the bottom of the screen, they are for the OpenDNS service which I use but are not necessary to set up a Virgin.net account.

The router is a Linksys, so I can't help you with the router-specific questions you have.

Rchivist
01-11-2008, 17:10
Don't know how useful this is to you, but here's the setup page from my router. I am connected to Virgin.net ADSL.

You should ignore the static DNS settings at the bottom of the screen, they are for the OpenDNS service which I use but are not necessary to set up a Virgin.net account.

The router is a Linksys, so I can't help you with the router-specific questions you have.

Thanks. That has most of the stuff I need, allthat VPI/VCI/PPPoA stuff. Thought it was same as BT but wanted to check.