PDA

View Full Version : Modem drops off

elektricity
27-10-2008, 20:08
hi all

I'll start from the top

a week ago my modem was not working, sync light was on but the ready light was flashing.
Called VM up and arranged an engineer.
The following morning modem was working so I cancelled the call.
The next day same issue again. After a call to VM I am told there is a known issue in my are and it will be fixed the following day.
Two days later still no stable broadband.
After some playing around I found that removing the splitter that VM provided in the Modem pack fixed the issue. Not really a fix as the splitter is providing signal to the modem and the STB.
Due to work commitments I was not able to call VM until last friday.
Engineer came out on Saturday tested the line, scratched his head a bit then logged into the modem, he found the Upstream transmit power level to be 61dB, which is too high.
I was then told that this issue had been going on in my area for a few weeks and should have been fixed.
Engineer calls line manager has a conversation, then tells me I should not be using the splitter that VM provided in the cable modem pack and I should put the STB back upstairs and have the Modem connected directly to the wall socket.
Again not really a fix.

I am told a network engineer will be attending to the box at the end of my street to fix the issue later in the day.
I must mention that even with the splitter removed the Upstream is still at 61dB but connects. As is the STB regardless of being on the splitter or on its own cable upstairs.

Come home this evening thinking perhaps they left fixing it until today, but still upstream is at 61dB using the splitter causes the modem to fail.

another call to VM and I am told the issue was fixed on Saturday and regardless of the fact I am logged into the modem looking at the high upstream signal I am told that it is fine. after much protesting they have agreed to send me a new modem.

Sorry for the wall of text but I thought the whole story was needed.
Is the replacement modem likely to fix the issue, if not has anyone experienced this issue and the differing information that the engineer and the callcenter are telling me?

thanks

whydoIneedatech
27-10-2008, 20:16
What modem do you have at the moment, and can you post the downstream power level and the SNR please.

When the new modem arrives you will need to call Quickstart on 0800 953 9500 to get it added to your account, before you call take a note of the HFC MAC address from the sticker on base as you will be asked for it, and connect your modem up the same way as your old one.

cableguy3
27-10-2008, 20:36
You are not the only one. This has been happening to me for about 3 weeks now (it also takes out my STB/VoD etc); Support has no idea what it is - it is obviously a problem but don't seem to ever get to the bottom of it and it seems to "fix itself"

We are in Kingston upon Thames

whydoIneedatech
27-10-2008, 20:42
You are not the only one. This has been happening to me for about 3 weeks now (it also takes out my STB/VoD etc); Support has no idea what it is - it is obviously a problem but don't seem to ever get to the bottom of it and it seems to "fix itself"

We are in Kingston upon Thames
If you could do as asked below, we may be able to see a problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put or click the link > http://192.168.100.1/ the password and username are both root if required.

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

elektricity
27-10-2008, 21:15
Thanks for the reply.
The modem is an Ambit E08C013.00

Downstream power level 12.2 dBmV
SNR 44.0dB

whydoIneedatech
27-10-2008, 21:24
Thanks for the reply.
The modem is an Ambit E08C013.00

Downstream power level 12.2 dBmV
SNR 44.0dB
Your Downstream is high for an NTL connection as well, I am not sure that a new modem will fix this issue, but we will find out when it arrives.
When it is connected check the power levels and post them here.

When the new modem arrives you will need to call Quickstart on 0800 953 9500 to get it added to your account, before you call take a note of the HFC MAC address from the sticker onbase as you will be asked for it, and connect your modem up the same way as your old one.

Axegrinder
27-10-2008, 21:42
I'm guessing a piece of VM's kit is failing somewhere in the area.

elektricity
27-10-2008, 21:48
I'm guessing a piece of VM's kit is failing somewhere in the area.

This is what the engineer told me, but the callcenter guy is blindly reading the notes saying the issue is fixed.

We will see what happens when the new modem arrives.
It is usual this does not affect any of the Tv or on demand?

thanks for the advice so far

E

whydoIneedatech
27-10-2008, 21:50
This is what the engineer told me, but the callcenter guy is blindly reading the notes saying the issue is fixed.

We will see what happens when the new modem arrives.
It is usual this does not affect any of the Tv or on demand?

thanks for the advice so far

E
The TV is piggybacked onto the Broadband signal and uses different frequencies.