PDA

View Full Version : Plus and Minus

Fairway
27-10-2008, 12:42
This aint really a moan just a little head scratch.

Last week my modem powerpack started smoking from the little vents on the top and the power died to the modem as you would expect, anyway, I rang them up and got a lady that was very very hard to understand and I told her the problem.

It started the normal way 'please turn off your antivirus firewall etc, err hang on love I said 'it's not the modem thats faulty its the power supply can you please send me a new one :) and I will just plug it in and jobs a gud un.

Nope she said we don't just do power supplies, I will send you a new modem with a new power supply, hmmm oddd me thinks but ok.

2 days later I get a parcel with two separate boxes in it, one had the modem and one had the power pack, and a letter saying we don't want the old one back you may dispose of it responsibly... why couldn't they just send the powerpack? and no I havn't used the new modem, it just seems a waste of money and now there is a new untouched modem waiting to be fed into the system of iffyness if I was that way inclined !!

Can't fault the delivery time though lol.

joglynne
27-10-2008, 14:47
It does seem to be a waste of postage but presumably the 2 items are already parcelled together and not itemized separately on the CS screens. Separating them would possibly envolve even more expense. :shrug:

whydoIneedatech
27-10-2008, 15:21
This aint really a moan just a little head scratch.

Last week my modem powerpack started smoking from the little vents on the top and the power died to the modem as you would expect, anyway, I rang them up and got a lady that was very very hard to understand and I told her the problem.

It started the normal way 'please turn off your antivirus firewall etc, err hang on love I said 'it's not the modem thats faulty its the power supply can you please send me a new one :) and I will just plug it in and jobs a gud un.

Nope she said we don't just do power supplies, I will send you a new modem with a new power supply, hmmm oddd me thinks but ok.

2 days later I get a parcel with two separate boxes in it, one had the modem and one had the power pack, and a letter saying we don't want the old one back you may dispose of it responsibly... why couldn't they just send the powerpack? and no I havn't used the new modem, it just seems a waste of money and now there is a new untouched modem waiting to be fed into the system of iffyness if I was that way inclined !!

Can't fault the delivery time though lol.
We do not send out replacement powerpacks because of the amount of different modems that have been supplied over the years, I make it around 14 different modems, so it is simpler to just send out a replacement modem.

What modem have you got connected at present as you will have received a brand new Ambit 256 which if you have an earlier model then l would advise you to call Quickstart on 0800 953 9500 and get the new one activated and make use of the upgrade.

Turkey Machine
27-10-2008, 18:29
There is a difference in power packs between the ntl (Ambit) modem models. The older 250 model takes 10V @ 1A, the 256 takes 10V @ 1.2A. I thought the newer model would be more efficient if I'm honest! :D

Fairway
27-10-2008, 18:43
We do not send out replacement powerpacks because of the amount of different modems that have been supplied over the years, I make it around 14 different modems, so it is simpler to just send out a replacement modem.

What modem have you got connected at present as you will have received a brand new Ambit 256 which if you have an earlier model then l would advise you to call Quickstart on 0800 953 9500 and get the new one activated and make use of the upgrade.

It's a new 256 that I am using, I have only had it 3 months as I explained to the lady on the phone, am I ok just to use the powerpack with it and not bother activating the one just sent?

xspeedyx
27-10-2008, 19:31
As said before Virgin dont send replacement powerpacks they just send new modems

whydoIneedatech
27-10-2008, 19:35
It's a new 256 that I am using, I have only had it 3 months as I explained to the lady on the phone, am I ok just to use the powerpack with it and not bother activating the one just sent?
Well you have a spare 256, it is just te way they are sent out.;)