PDA

View Full Version : More 20 Mb trouble

Gopher
27-10-2008, 12:10
Over the last 2 Months my daytime speeds have got slower and slower! ok so I know that a web based speed test is only an Indication but previously I would get between 10 - 18 Mb During the day but for the past 2 months this has decreased to an average now of only between 1.5 - 2 Mb!!!

Rerun test at 02.00 - 05.00 and I get 20 Mb and higher.

Yesterday Eve was the worst below 1 Mb ( upload is Fine and always has been .680 - .780 Mbs.

Having spent over an Hour on phone to India!! ( call centre) he told me that my area is over subscribed!!!!!

Now waiting for an Engineer ( What the **** can he do?)

So much for "Very Impressive Package"!!! :mad::mad::mad::td:

whydoIneedatech
27-10-2008, 12:12
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put or click the link > http://192.168.100.1/ the password and username are both root if required.

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me, thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gopher
27-10-2008, 13:18
Modem NTL 255
Model No:- E08C007

Downstream Receive Power Level : -6.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 33.7 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 52.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Engineer has just been and checked Signal Levels and says they are fine and must be a network issue at Barnet.

AbyssUnderground
27-10-2008, 13:24
Modem NTL 255
Model No:- E08C007

Downstream Receive Power Level : -6.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 33.7 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 52.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Engineer has just been and checked Signal Levels and says they are fine and must be a network issue at Barnet.

Well get him back again, your downstream is too low and could be causing problems. It should be as close to 0 as possible. The limits are +/-8dBmV but some areas don't like being at the outer limits and get stability and speed problems.

xspeedyx
27-10-2008, 13:31
depends what area he is if he's ex-ntl then yes its little too high and if he is ex-telewest its fine

Fingers
27-10-2008, 14:43
I utilise a Haringey UBR and found about a TX fault with the one I connect to. This fault was raised internally within VM in July but nothing mentioned by VM publically. I found out when complaining in August about steady reductions in bandwidth. I am getting download speeds of between 20 kilobytes to 400 kilobytes per second on a 20 megabit connection. I should get around 1.6 to 1.7 megabytes per second going by past experience.

After a bit of back and forth, the fault will not be fixed until November (UBR's are expensive to replace) and I am getting £27 per month discount from my cable bill. Fair play to VM for offering this. However, if I hadn't complained and kicked up a fuss, I wouldn't have been passed onto a "Customer Concern" rep (read: retention).

Moral of the story is - moan like nympho with tourettes syndrome. Make sure you get put through to "Customer Concern" if the helldesk doesn't sort you out. I found that complaining online via VM's website got a better response and I didn't have to spend hours in a call queue.

Edit: This ticket was raised this afternoon, would this affect Barnet? http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do?ticket=828480

Edit 2: VM are currently carrying out UBR capacity upgrades. Check here http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/maintenance.do to see if maintenance has affected your service - could be a clue.

Good luck.

Gopher
29-10-2008, 22:14
My problem has Been Confirmed ( I already new ) By what i know is not the most accurate method 1/2 hourly speed test for a total of 20 hours!
Drastic over utilisation of my node! My UBR ( cpc3-barn5-0-0-cust680.brnt.cable.ntl.com ) is not due for upgrade until December 23rd. 2008 I hope!
so therefore 50 Mb roll out for this cannot take place until after the UBR Upgrade.

xspeedyx
30-10-2008, 10:23
My problem has Been Confirmed ( I already new ) By what i know is not the most accurate method 1/2 hourly speed test for a total of 20 hours!
Drastic over utilisation of my node! My UBR ( cpc3-barn5-0-0-cust680.brnt.cable.ntl.com ) is not due for upgrade until December 23rd. 2008 I hope!
so therefore 50 Mb roll out for this cannot take place until after the UBR Upgrade.

50Mb is using DOCSIS 3.0 so doesnt matter if your ubr has been upgraded, as the DOCSIS 3.0 is a different kind of upgrade

Gopher
30-10-2008, 21:01
WOW its just taken 3Hours 37 Minutes to Download a 157Mb File

Bring Back Dial Up

xspeedyx
30-10-2008, 21:13
Where was you downloading your file from?

slowcoach
30-10-2008, 21:24
The reason your area is oversubscribed could be due to a lot of people taking up the latest offers.
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/bb_deal.html

Full details towards the bottom of the page.
Come one, come all. :erm:

Gopher
30-10-2008, 23:25
Where was you downloading your file from?

http://linkscorner.org/courses/index.php

Sorry for delay but it took me 1 min 13 seconds to get here