PDA

View Full Version : Burned/scolded taste buds...

AbyssUnderground
25-10-2008, 14:35
Hello all,

I was very stupid the other day, and tried drinking piping-hot hot chocolate at work. Now, I knew it was too hot to drink and I have no idea why I tried, but in the process I have "burned/scolded" my taste buds on the first inch or so of my tongue from the tip back. Its been like this for 2 days now and doesn't feel like its healing...

My question is, will they eventually grow back or will I have lost them for good? Its not a nice feeling, it feels rough and just like any mouth burn I've had does. I've done a quick Google and there is mixed opinions on whether they will grow back and no definitive answer.

Before anyone laughs or mocks me, I don't usually do things like that, I don't know what happened... :rolleyes: Lapse in concentration maybe? Jump to a parallel dimension where the chocolate was cold? Who knows! :D

Thanks in advance.

Angua
25-10-2008, 14:52
I manage this with scalding hot soup in a cup on a regular basis and they do recover quite quickly. You can test the front of your tongue with salt/sugar or lemon juice. You should be able to taste one & not the other (will not tell you which though).

Pia
26-10-2008, 23:19
2 days? :shocked:

I do this now and again, it's so annoying, but hasn't ever lasted more than a few hours.

AbyssUnderground
27-10-2008, 00:28
They're starting to get better now, I don't have so much of a rough feeling anymore and I can taste things again :)