PDA

View Full Version : what would you do with it ?

tweetypie/8
25-10-2008, 12:46
i was day dreaming the other day about winning the lottery,[no chance ] and i thought if i did win a load of millions ie-£22000000 what would i do with it,,with the banking system in the current state its in would you dream of banking it ? it the same with the stocks and shares,so that leaves you in a quandry as what to do with it,what would you do ? before you start wondering i can assure you i havent won a bean.;)

papa smurf
25-10-2008, 12:55
? don't Irish banks guarantee all deposits regardless of the amount

zing_deleted
25-10-2008, 12:57
Buy property and live off the income. Invest the rest in various different low risk areas. If you lose it you still got the property. Buy now while houses are cheaper too ;)

Gary L
25-10-2008, 14:09
Make a donation to the BHA and probably buy the drill I've always wanted but couldn't afford with the change :D

:jk:

Charlie_Bubble
25-10-2008, 14:13
Buy a big house in the uk + anywhere else you fancy, then a car in each location, nothing stupidly expensive. Put 1 million in a number of accounts to spread the risk and then invest the rest in government bonds. Ok, lower interest, but that's because the risk is low.

joglynne
25-10-2008, 14:34
Well after buying many, many pairs of jimmy Choo shoes and sitting gloating with them spread around me for several hours I would probably go for property like zing.

On a purely opportunistic level this is a great time to buy property and in the long term you are buying low now to sell high sometime in the future. The demand for rental property is at it's highest at times of economic depression so even in the short term you would expect to at least break even.

I would also investigate the option of investing directly in gold. Mainly because, next to shoes, gold is my other great weakness. :D

Kymmy
25-10-2008, 14:41
Goverment or other secure bonds and probably then live off the dividends...

idi banashapan
25-10-2008, 14:43
buy gold. it's the only safe currency.

DocDutch
25-10-2008, 14:48
buy a couple of houses donate some dosh to friends and family and what ever is left put away in a term deposit account and buy myself a new pc hehehe

Kymmy
25-10-2008, 14:49
Gold can go down as well as up, just look at the 5 years chart for it, it peak and now going back down

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/10/12.gif

Dai
25-10-2008, 14:56
Gold can go down as well as up, just look at the 5 years chart for it, it peak and now going back down

It may lose a bit of value but it's real and not likely to be evaporated by the sort of fairy-tale banking practices we've seen in recent times..

papa smurf
25-10-2008, 14:56
I'd spend 21 million on birds, booze ,bikes, boats, and cars .then i'd probably just squander the rest .

idi banashapan
25-10-2008, 15:10

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/10/12.gif

you'll also find that the major players in the world have their financial systems based on gold. problem is, there is now no longer enough gold in the world to cover the amount of currency that is doing the rounds. this means that the value of a currency can bottom out, yet gold will still be a valueable material. of course the value of it can go up or down. same as anything. but gold is much more likely to hold a good value. a house is never gauranteed to do that, nor is a car. and as we have seen, even the money you think you own in the bank is not actually yours and can be taken, or lose so much value it's almost worthless (Zimbabwe dollars for example).

Gold is the basis of currency. it's value will always be amongst the highest of any material. I suppose you could invest in platinum or palladium if you want... but currencies are not based on their values.

papa smurf
25-10-2008, 15:22
you'll also find that the major players in the world have their financial systems based on gold. problem is, there is now no longer enough gold in the world to cover the amount of currency that is doing the rounds. this means that the value of a currency can bottom out, yet gold will still be a valueable material. of course the value of it can go up or down. same as anything. but gold is much more likely to hold a good value. a house is never gauranteed to do that, nor is a car. and as we have seen, even the money you think you own in the bank is not actually yours and can be taken, or lose so much value it's almost worthless (Zimbabwe dollars for example).

Gold is the basis of currency. it's value will always be amongst the highest of any material. I suppose you could invest in platinum or palladium if you want... but currencies are not based on their values.

is that London palladium :D

idi banashapan
25-10-2008, 15:59
is that London palladium :D

it's probably got more value than the farce that will be the 'Olympic village'!!!!

tweetypie/8
25-10-2008, 17:31
? don't Irish banks guarantee all deposits regardless of the amount

they do papa but £22mill i dont think i would chance it.;)

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

Buy property and live off the income. Invest the rest in various different low risk areas. If you lose it you still got the property. Buy now while houses are cheaper too ;)

nice one zing,if i win i will give you a shout.:tu:

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:29 ----------

Well after buying many, many pairs of jimmy Choo shoes and sitting gloating with them spread around me for several hours I would probably go for property like zing.

On a purely opportunistic level this is a great time to buy property and in the long term you are buying low now to sell high sometime in the future. The demand for rental property is at it's highest at times of economic depression so even in the short term you would expect to at least break even.

I would also investigate the option of investing directly in gold. Mainly because, next to shoes, gold is my other great weakness. :D

like your style jog,you have great weaknesses.;)

Watching You
27-10-2008, 21:06
i was day dreaming the other day about winning the lottery,[no chance ] and i thought if i did win a load of millions ie-£22000000 what would i do with it,,with the banking system in the current state its in would you dream of banking it ? it the same with the stocks and shares,so that leaves you in a quandry as what to do with it,what would you do?

OK £22 million and what to spend it on – how about living it large with some Crystal champagne, a week at the Lanesborough hotel (http://www.lanesborough.com/#Rooms_and_Suites/rates) say the Buckingham suite, and then half a dozen of the finest hookers across Europe just to get you started. Coming in at a grand total of around £24,000.00 per week however fortunately even on basic interest you will still have £26.000.00 a week to spend – if you were just spending your interest. (Average interest on £22 million = £55,000.00 per week/ £7,920 per day)

Once, you’ve got all that out of your system suggest you call in various fund managers and banks to make a bid to manage your vast portfolio. Obviously, you spell out that you do not want too much risk because you don’t really understand the money market. Now here is the clever part, over the lunch in your suite or some “in” restaurant in London and the Crystal champagne and the half naked women running around your suite these guys will obviously think they are onto a good thing here and desperately wanting to grab your business may even suggest that when you lodge your money their institutions at great rates and will actually lend you money.

Why are you asking, with £22 million behind you would you need to borrow money? Now, LISTEN UP, here is the clever part, rich men /women don’t spend their money they spend the banks money (typically YOURS). They borrow money from the bank at less interest than they earn on their money. Never risk your own money use the banks instead.

tweetypie/8
27-10-2008, 23:57
OK £22 million and what to spend it on – how about living it large with some Crystal champagne, a week at the Lanesborough hotel (http://www.lanesborough.com/#Rooms_and_Suites/rates) say the Buckingham suite, and then half a dozen of the finest hookers across Europe just to get you started. Coming in at a grand total of around £24,000.00 per week however fortunately even on basic interest you will still have £26.000.00 a week to spend – if you were just spending your interest. (Average interest on £22 million = £55,000.00 per week/ £7,920 per day)

Once, you’ve got all that out of your system suggest you call in various fund managers and banks to make a bid to manage your vast portfolio. Obviously, you spell out that you do not want too much risk because you don’t really understand the money market. Now here is the clever part, over the lunch in your suite or some “in” restaurant in London and the Crystal champagne and the half naked women running around your suite these guys will obviously think they are onto a good thing here and desperately wanting to grab your business may even suggest that when you lodge your money their institutions at great rates and will actually lend you money.

Why are you asking, with £22 million behind you would you need to borrow money? Now, LISTEN UP, here is the clever part, rich men /women don’t spend their money they spend the banks money (typically YOURS). They borrow money from the bank at less interest than they earn on their money. Never risk your own money use the banks instead.

well after i am sh....d out i will try to remember your advice.;)

Halcyon
27-10-2008, 23:58
I'd invest it in property abroad and a boat and plane too.

Russ
28-10-2008, 00:00
Never risk your own money use the banks instead.

Although I don't do the lottery, I certainly like the idea of that :)

Enuff
28-10-2008, 07:40
Charities of my choosing would benefit big time. I'd spread it about giving it to good causes. My family would be well looked after too. I love the feeling that comes with giving!

I'd also have the nice house (nothing too big), car and world cruise. I'd probably buy a little place in the middle of nowhere away from people.

Alien
28-10-2008, 15:41
At first I'd splurge a few grand on getting newer/better stuff, e.g. new TV, monitors, etc, & maybe pay someone to do the bits of decorating I've never gotten around to. I wouldn't buy a house straight away, partly because this is the longest [5 1/2 years] that I've stayed anywhere since I was 17, & I'm not exactly fond of moving [12 times between 7 & 28 may not be a lot to some people, but for someone who doesn't tend to enjoy change it can take its toll], and also because if I had that kind of money I might decide to have a new house built to my specifications rather than just buying an existing 1.

Not sure if I'd get a cat whilst still living here, but definitely would once getting a house. Maybe more than 1.

As to the car issue - I probably would get 1, though don't know what I'd like, & I'd have to learn to drive first!

I'd also spend some money on the small number of people I really care about - family, etc.

I'd look into ways to invest some of it, to make even more money, preferably as low risk as possible, especially in the present economic climate.

I might even give the whole "eccentric scientist" gig a try [when you have that much money you're eccentric not mad :D]. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alien42/smilies/muahaha.gif