PDA

View Full Version : Dire speeds?

Jambone
24-10-2008, 22:28
Is it just me or is anyone else having serious speed issues with internet?

I've tried router reboots ect but nothing - started yesterday (along with the email problem).

dajone
24-10-2008, 23:00
yes have same problems :mad: just been trying to race online and lagging like f***:mad: was getting a headache with the amount of flashing cars in and out.Have noticed recently that in my area uddingston trying to race online fri,sat between 6pm and 11pm is s**t.never had these problems before and been with virgin (telewest) for 5 years.really hope new dociss3, when and IF comes in helps or virgin do something about oversubscription :td:

ps Sry for rant just came offline and not a happy camper :mad:

moaningmags
24-10-2008, 23:59
I'm on an Uddingston UBR and other half is playing World of Warcraft, kids are on msn, youtube and I'm here, no lag at all. What ubr in Uddingston are you on?

CIS
25-10-2008, 00:18
Liverpool has been just crap for the last while.

It's not funny anymore.

I have a week off coming up and I'm going to ADSL when I have that time to sort it out.

whydoIneedatech
25-10-2008, 00:19
Liverpool has been just crap for the last while.

It's not funny anymore.

I have a week off coming up and I'm going to ADSL when I have that time to sort it out.
Are you from South Liverpool by any chance.

dajone
25-10-2008, 03:17
I'm on an Uddingston UBR and other half is playing World of Warcraft, kids are on msn, youtube and I'm here, no lag at all. What ubr in Uddingston are you on?

I am on cable.ubr19.uddi.blueyonder.co.uk .This is only recently happening and i much prefer cable to ADSL but i race alot and it is killing me at the moment as i lag alot of the time.

I have a dilemma as i live less than 1km(610m as the crow flies) from my exchange but would need to pay to get BT line in and not sure if it would be any better. :confused: I am hopeing that when the new dociss3 comes out it will help:erm: but will they just keep over subscribing ?

just4funuk
25-10-2008, 03:23
Have to admit since Virgin took over the broadband it has not been the same.Has been very slow over the last 6-8 months. Have been with cable broadband for approx 8 years but I am now considering moving to BT ADSL.I live just across the River Mersey from Liverpool on the Wirral.So maybe it is just a region specific problem but 6 months is pretty poor to of not sorted it out. So before you switch to Virgin broadband the mother of all broadbands check with people in your area if they are happy with the service they are getting.

chickendippers
25-10-2008, 10:47
Have to admit since Virgin took over the broadband it has not been the same.ntl:Telewest rebranded, there was no takeover.

g0mit
25-10-2008, 12:00
Is their a problem in south Liverpool

CHiLL
25-10-2008, 14:04
Is their a problem in south Liverpool
Seems like there has been problems in our Liverpool area for a long time. I'm getting a great whopping 30KB/s from servers.

Magilla
25-10-2008, 14:13
Is it just me or is anyone else having serious speed issues with internet?

I've tried router reboots ect but nothing - started yesterday (along with the email problem).

Mine's been crap since the upgrade.

liverpool fan
25-10-2008, 19:37
I'm in Leeds and getting 2.4meg on a 10meg line wtf? it's been like this for a few days rebooted etc but still theses crap speeds. :(

bertles86
26-10-2008, 18:29
Liverpool's been crap since early September time, it's beyond a joke now. 56k would be quicker at loading google.

DaveMUK
26-10-2008, 20:50
I'm in St Helens (WA9) and have to say my speed is rubbish, certainly no better since upgrade and the quality of my connection is quite possibly worse.. for the first time since I signed up (years and years ago) I'm seriously thinking of my options now

dajone
27-10-2008, 13:39
I am on cable.ubr19.uddi.blueyonder.co.uk

well is it over subscribed??

moaningmags

You asked the question? :erm:

bertles86
28-10-2008, 13:15
If it's oversubscribed is it ever going to improve? Seriously considering BT/Sky now, it's ridiculous we can't even load google and pings are 250-300 consistently on games!

Marci
28-10-2008, 23:00
Dunno - am on osr01wake-v11.network.virginmedia.net and should supposedly have a 10Mb connection - I've been speedtesting at random times over the past month and not once seen it go any higher than 4Mb at the very best. Usually downstream tops out at 2Mb with an upstream of 456Kb. Modem config file is the correct one for 10Mb, but no matter what I do I never see anything near 50% of the downstream that I should have.

Doesn't help with the whacky route things take to go to any website... no matter which site I traceroute to, I get routed as follows:

osr01wake-v11.network.virginmedia.net >
osr01barn-tenge73.network.virginmedia.net >
osr01brad-tenge71.network.virginmedia.net >
man-bb-a-ge-110-0.network.virginmedia.net >
off to the rest of the net.

This might not sound so bad... barnsley is just down the road from us... however, osr01barn-tenge73.network.virginmedia.net is in Westminster, so I go from to London to Bradford to Manchester before I've even left their network... to view some UK sites, t tI find I go on a route that leaves the UK, heads round 4 servers in Europe, then back to the UK again... but that's only after going from here to westminster, to bradford, to manchester, BACK to westminster, out to servers in france, then germany, then amsterdam, then back to westminster, then back up to my server here in wakefield.

These tracert's never used to go on such ridiculous paths to get to these sites.

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

Support have just found some odd routing issues on UBRs in my area that could be causing the slow down and are shifting it to 2nd line support at the moment. High TX rates on this UBR also so it's in need of an upgrade to cope with capacity... which won't be helping Rx rates.

bertles86
29-10-2008, 10:03
cable.ubr14.live.blueyonder.co.uk
osr01live-v11.network.virginmedia.net
osr02know-tenge71.network.virginmedia.net
man-bb-b-ge-130-0.network.virginmedia.net
man-bb-a-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net
gfd-bb-b-so-200-0.network.virginmedia.net
redb-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net

I get that in south liverpool from a ping test ^^^

Marci
29-10-2008, 18:45
If you want a laugh, try and get hold of NeoTrace (old discontinued software), whack it in map mode, and do a trace to www.mosthauntedlive.net.... one of Virgin's own companies, with the site (registered to Virgin but not on their own network for some reason) being run from a server in Westminster...

Wakefield > Westminster > Bradford > Leeds > Northampton > Birmingham > Zurich > Frankfurt > Amsterdam > Westminster.

http://www.mmra.org.uk/marci/tracert.jpg