PDA

View Full Version : Config file help

Lucifer1
24-10-2008, 20:25
My story so far...

Hi, i was looking at my modem earlier today and came across my config file which looked a bit like this:

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Now i know im not on the fastest of speeds being on the M package (2 meg down, 256k up) so every kb counts, now correct me if im wrong but does that not look to me as if my upstream is limited to 200kb/s insted of 256kb/s meaning the config file needs to be changed if im ever to achieve 256kb/s..

All input appreciated

Lucifer

whydoIneedatech
24-10-2008, 20:54
You are on NTL and the upstream is perfectly normal as they only have a upstream of 200kb on a 2MB connection.

Lucifer1
25-10-2008, 13:17
So even though im on and paying for the M package which is 2 meg down 256k up (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html), having 2 meg down and 200k up is fine?

Sounds a bit odd to me...

Lucifer

Gary L
25-10-2008, 13:33
You are on NTL and the upstream is perfectly normal as they only have a upstream of 200kb on a 2MB connection.

Do Telewest people have the 256kb then?

Milambar
25-10-2008, 18:44
Flippin blink. Nice catch.

Whydoineedatech: Thats false advertising, to advertise 256kbps up, and only provide 200kbps. I just checked, my modem is also locked at 200kbps.

I assume you'll be raising this issue internally to get it fixed for all of us though :)

g0mit
25-10-2008, 19:06
You could raise this with cs yourself

Milambar
25-10-2008, 19:11
Yes, I know. I just thought that perhaps they'd respond better from a report raised internally.

Gary L
25-10-2008, 19:32
Yes, I know. I just thought that perhaps they'd respond better from a report raised internally.

I've been looking all over and I can't see anywhere where they say it's only 200 for exNTL, 256 otherwise.

Can't see it mentioned on the ASA website either :)

When you get STMd they reduce the advertised 256Kb by 50% to 128Kb for 5 hours
as you already have 56Kb less than you should have already, then that's nearly 25% already took off you without being STMd.

If you do get in touch with Virgin about it. don't let them think they can tell about the "upto" thing because that won't wash with anyone. it's the config file that they send to your modem that is the cause of the problem. it's intentionally set at 200Kb.

Turkey Machine
25-10-2008, 19:49
If enough raise the issue with the ASA, Virgin WILL have to do something about it. :)

whydoIneedatech
25-10-2008, 20:32
Do Telewest people have the 256kb then?
On a different platform as Telewest is on the Knowsley platform.

Gary L
25-10-2008, 20:48
On a different platform as Telewest is on the Knowsley platform.

Thanks. do you know how much they're being shortchanged on the others?

384Kb
512Kb
768Kb

whydoIneedatech
25-10-2008, 20:51
It is just the way it is listed on NTL as 20000 not 256 if you read your config it does not say 200 it says 20000.

Gary L
25-10-2008, 20:55
It is just the way it is listed on NTL as 20000 not 256 if you read your config it does not say 200 it says 20000.

It's Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
an extra 0 :)
the 512 is listed as Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000
are you saying that it's still 256 just listed wrong?

whydoIneedatech
25-10-2008, 21:14
It's Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
an extra 0 :)
the 512 is listed as Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000
are you saying that it's still 256 just listed wrong?
I was going to add the extra zero but it looked wrong, it is the way that the 2 companies listed their configs, plenty of people have posted them both on here and only today someone actually noticed the was a difference.

I am primarily Telewest trained CSR and we have only been taking NTL calls for about 6 months and that is only one difference between the platforms, but the are many more differences such as frequencies, power levels and SNR levels that are very different between the 3 platforms.

The are three platforms, Knowsley, Langley and Bromley and all 3 are different in some way.

Gary L
25-10-2008, 21:54
I was going to add the extra zero but it looked wrong, it is the way that the 2 companies listed their configs, plenty of people have posted them both on here and only today someone actually noticed the was a difference.

I am primarily Telewest trained CSR and we have only been taking NTL calls for about 6 months and that is only one difference between the platforms, but the are many more differences such as frequencies, power levels and SNR levels that are very different between the 3 platforms.

The are three platforms, Knowsley, Langley and Bromley and all 3 are different in some way.

So. is there 56k less upstream on NTL, than there is on Telewest or not? :)

whydoIneedatech
25-10-2008, 22:05
So. is there 56k less upstream on NTL, than there is on Telewest or not? :)
All I know is that they are listed differently in the configs and in the online tools, that does not mean they are actually different speeds, you would need a NTL trained tech to tell you otherwise as I am Telewest trained and therefore not fully conversant with all the differences on the 3 platforms as stated above.

Gary L
25-10-2008, 22:13
All I know is that they are listed differently in the configs and in the online tools, that does not mean they are actually different speeds, you would need a NTL trained tech to tell you otherwise as I am Telewest trained and therefore not fully conversant with all the differences on the 3 platforms as stated above.

Well I think 200000 in a config file is going to give you the same speed. whether or not you put it in an NTL or a Telewest modem.

whydoIneedatech
25-10-2008, 22:17
Well I think 200000 in a config file is going to give you the same speed. whether or not you put it in an NTL or a Telewest modem.
Depends how it is read as nearly all Telewest modems now have encrypted configs to prevent fraud.

Ignitionnet
25-10-2008, 22:19
The 2Mbit service on the Langley and Bromley platforms has always been 200000 bits/second, while on Telewest Knowsley it has always been 256000, so Knowsley have always had 56k more upstream on the 2Mbit, and that's about it. Not much more to say on that score, it's a difference in the config files between the platforms.

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

Depends how it is read as nearly all Telewest modems now have encrypted configs to prevent fraud.

They are not encrypted, they have an MD5 hash incorporated into them. I realise that they are referred to as being encrypted but that's not the case, they are using the hash as an integrity check to ensure they haven't been diddled with but that's about it, the configs themselves remain easily readable via a DOCSIS config viewer.

It prevents obtaining extra upstream by feeding the modem a modified config file but does not alleviate the issue of cloned modems, this can only be addressed via dynamic config files and BPI+, utilising the public keys and certficates built into the modems, but requires a migration of the network to DOCSIS 1.1.

Gary L
25-10-2008, 22:21
The 2Mbit service on the Langley and Bromley platforms has always been 200000 bits/second, while on Telewest Knowsley it has always been 256000, so Knowsley have always had 56k more upstream on the 2Mbit, and that's about it. Not much more to say on that score, it's a difference in the config files between the platforms.

Thanks mate that's all I wanted to know. it's like trying to squeeze juice out of a stone asking someone else :D

whydoIneedatech
25-10-2008, 22:23

Well Gary I think you have your answer, but as I said further up the thread many people have posted their configs but only today has anyone actually noticed that the is a difference.

Ignitionnet
25-10-2008, 22:24
Well Gary I think you have your answer, but as I said further up the thread many people have posted their configs but only today has anyone actually noticed that the is a difference.

Have always been aware of it but if people don't care what's the point in mentioning it :angel:

Gary L
25-10-2008, 22:29

I know. it's not mentioned in the small print either :)

whydoIneedatech
25-10-2008, 22:31
Thanks mate that's all I wanted to know. it's like trying to squeeze juice out of a stone asking someone else :D
I told you Gary I am not a NTL tech so not really aware of every subtle difference between the 3 platforms, that is why I said only a NTL tech or as it now happens someone with Broadbandings knowledge could confirm.

You cannot squeeze juice out if its not there:D

As I said the amount of times I have seen it in posts on here is amazing and only today someone noticed, I just used the 2MB config to tell me if they were NTL or Telewest.

Gary L
25-10-2008, 22:36
Have always been aware of it but if people don't care what's the point in mentioning it :angel:

People should care. especially when there's STM that restricts your upload one way, and you got a restriction already without STM :)

whydoIneedatech
25-10-2008, 22:37
The Telewest side side have only been aware of it since we started taking NTL calls and noticed the difference.

Turkey Machine
25-10-2008, 23:11
Why haven't Virgin done anything about it because it's blatant mis-advertising of your service.

Gary L
25-10-2008, 23:12
I told you Gary I am not a NTL tech so not really aware of every subtle difference between the 3 platforms, that is why I said only a NTL tech or as it now happens someone with Broadbandings knowledge could confirm.

You cannot squeeze juice out if its not there:D

As I said the amount of times I have seen it in posts on here is amazing and only today someone noticed, I just used the 2MB config to tell me if they were NTL or Telewest.

It's ok mate. you really don't have to explain yourself :)

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Why haven't Virgin done anything about it because it's blatant mis-advertising of your service.

They thought nobody would notice. which nobody did.
up until now :D

Lucifer1
26-10-2008, 12:55
My story continued...

Well after an interesting everning calling tech support 4 times and getting through to india all 4 times and banging my head against a brick wall i decided to wait till the morning to get through to swansea, after talking to someone who knew what i was on about regarding the config file he said it was a website miss-print that the M package supported 256k up, at that point i just agreed (knowing he was wrong) and hung up, i then had an interesting call with CS and explained the situation and now my config file looks a lot more healthy, all be it not on the 2 meg package...

Thanks for all the input and help regarding this.

Lucifer
(ADSL tech support)

Gary L
26-10-2008, 13:15
he said it was a website miss-print that the M package supported 256k up, at that point i just agreed (knowing he was wrong) and hung up,

It's not wrong, it's a lie.

i then had an interesting call with CS and explained the situation and now my config file looks a lot more healthy, all be it not on the 2 meg package...

So now your config file is 256 upload and you're on NTL network?
if they can change yours and they know that others are being short changed then it will be very interesting.

Lucifer1
26-10-2008, 13:51
It's not wrong, it's a lie.

if they can change yours and they know that others are being short changed then it will be very interesting.

After the chat i has with CS im not on the 2 meg (M) package any more...

Lucifer

Gary L
26-10-2008, 13:59
After the chat i has with CS im not on the 2 meg (M) package any more...

They give you 10 for free? :confused:

Milambar
26-10-2008, 15:07
Ive contacted the ASA, ISPA regarding this, and suggested this story to www.theregister.co.uk.

Sorry guys, I know a substantial number work for VM, and I hold no grudges against you, I just dislike being mis-sold and short changed, and no, I can't go to another ISP, I live too far from any digitally enabled exchanges.

Gary L
26-10-2008, 15:11
Ive contacted the ASA, ISPA regarding this, and suggested this story to www.theregister.co.uk.

Sorry guys, I know a substantial number work for VM, and I hold no grudges against you, I just dislike being mis-sold and short changed, and no, I can't go to another ISP, I live too far from any digitally enabled exchanges.

I'm sure you're not the only one to have reported it :)
and it's only because as what you say, mis-sold and short changed.

r00t
26-10-2008, 15:20
Good on you Milambar, well done for taking action rather than just bleating about it.
Let us know how you get on :tu:

Gary L
26-10-2008, 15:26
Good on you Milambar, well done for taking action rather than just bleating about it

I reported it too :clap::hyper:

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 15:56

That I suspect is not at all possible as it is platform related.

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

I reported it too :clap::hyper:
Good for you, you probably do need to provide proof to them such as your bill and possibly a config screenshot.

Gary L
26-10-2008, 16:18
That I suspect is not at all possible as it is platform related

I know that there may be a reason, but the point is one gets more than the other, and they know they do it. they still sell it as that figure knowing that they are not giving it to some.
it's not a mistake, and it's not a mis-print.
they can give reasons even why it's not possible to give 256k to one and not the other, but at the end of the day it's happening and they don't say anywhere it is or might.

Upload is important now with STM, and they've already took 56k off you before they take some more when STM kicks in.

Good for you, you probably do need to provide proof to them such as your bill and possibly a config screenshot.

The link to the page and screenshot from mate on NTL platform is all I sent in.

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 16:25
The link to the page and screenshot from mate on NTL platform is all I sent in.

I do not know how they work and they may ask to see his bill as the config screenshot could be taken from a post.

But good luck with it anyway.

Gary L
26-10-2008, 16:30
I do not know how they work and they may ask to see his bill as the config screenshot could be taken from a post.

But good luck with it anyway.

A bill isn't going to show anything.
it's not as if it's not true is it, they are hardly likely to be told by Virgin that we give all NTL people the 256 and I don't know where you thought we don't :)

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 16:34
A bill isn't going to show anything.
it's not as if it's not true is it, they are hardly likely to be told by Virgin that we give all NTL people the 256 and I don't know where you thought we don't :)
The bill is to prove he is a 2MB customer nothing more.

Gary L
26-10-2008, 16:40
The bill is to prove he is a 2MB customer nothing more.

Oh, well if they ask for it I can't see a problem with that.
but do you have to be a customer to complain anyway? :)

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 16:42
Oh, well if they ask for it I can't see a problem with that.
but do you have to be a customer to complain anyway? :)
Well if you were not a customer then they would question why you want to complain as it would look suspicious.

Gary L
26-10-2008, 16:47
Well if you were not a customer then they would question why you want to complain as it would look suspicious.

Yeh, just like they do when Sky complains about Virgin, and Virgin complains about Sky :D

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 16:55
Yeh, just like they do when Sky complains about Virgin, and Virgin complains about Sky :D
They are Multinationals not members of the public.

Gary L
26-10-2008, 17:00
They are Multinationals not members of the public.

Do you want me to withdraw my complaint?
I can if it'll help you to stop confusing me on a Sunday! :)

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 17:04
Do you want me to withdraw my complaint?
I can if it'll help you to stop confusing me on a Sunday! :)
Why would you withdraw the complaint, you have a valid config from your friend and he will have a Virginmedia bill that shows he pays for 2MB, go for it;)

Gary L
26-10-2008, 17:08
Why would you withdraw the complaint, you have a valid config from your friend and he will have a Virginmedia bill that shows he pays for 2MB, go for it;)

So why do I feel like you're setting me up somewhere? ;)

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 17:14
Why would I do that I am a First line CSR, the guy who answers the call when people call in.

As others have said just do it, they can either say you have a valid case or you do not.

Gary L
26-10-2008, 17:18
Why would I do that I am a First line CSR, the guy who answers the call when people call in.

I think I've spoken to you. I feel the same way I do now as I did then.
very confused :D

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 17:21
I think I've spoken to you. I feel the same way I do now as I did then.
very confused :D
Why is that, and you could not have spoken to me either.:D

You say you have lodged the complaint with the ASA so why feel confused as you may well have helped people by doing so.;)

Gary L
26-10-2008, 17:29
Why is that, and you could not have spoken to me either.:D

You say you have lodged the complaint with the ASA so why feel confused as you may well have helped people by doing so.;)

Yep.
right, I'm off to see the wizard. :Sprint:

Raistlin
26-10-2008, 17:37
Tin Man, Straw Man, or Lion Gary?

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 18:18
It is a bit like trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

We are not in Kansas anymore Toto!!

Gary L
26-10-2008, 18:19

Dorothy.

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 18:20
Dorothy.
I guessed right:D

Gary L
26-10-2008, 19:52
Well done. :nutter:

:)

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 19:56
Well done. :nutter:

:)
Not Nice you said Dorothy and she has a little dog called Toto.:LOL:

r00t
26-10-2008, 20:14

Gary, put down the cannabis and back away from the bong....We know where you are and we're coming to get you.

:LOL:

Gary L
26-10-2008, 20:29
Gary, put down the cannabis and back away from the bong....We know where you are and we're coming to get you.

I'll get the Quality Street out then.

tehazza
26-10-2008, 22:34
stop moaning about nothing, it used to be the other way around on the 4meg anyway, langley and bromley had 400kbit and knowsley had 384kbit its just the old legacy things, and we've had our fiar share of good things, ntl used to have sky one 2 and 3 and telewest only had sky one.

there is no point in disrupting the system by doing this change, may aswell wait until speed upgrades then unify the speeds cross platform.

I still do believe that there are some channels that are not cross platform and are exclusive to telewest areas and/or ntl areas.

if you really want to get picky langley areas are in a bad way as they only have 6mhz channel widths, only allowing 30mbit at QAM64, and 40mbit on qam256 whereas old cable and wireless bromley fed and telewest knowsley fed areas run on 8mhz channel widths, meaning 40mbit on QAM64 and 50mbit on QAM256

All you people moaning are expecting the world from a company which is:
a)not in the best shape financially and in the public eye
b)impossible or near on impossible to fully merge into one whole platform considering the vast differences in equipment nationwide due to the entire company once being over 50 franchises.

and before you say i am in a telewest area, no im not. im in a bromley fed area and i am on 2meg aswell:P

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 22:36
In many way it has been an amusing thread

Gary L
26-10-2008, 22:51
stop moaning about nothing,

We are not a charity.

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

In many way it has been an amusing thread

No, it's been a serious one :)

whydoIneedatech
26-10-2008, 22:59
No, it's been a serious one :)
It has been both, and I see your point, so go for it.

Tech_Boy
27-10-2008, 13:59
well it's on El Reg now
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/27/virgin_media_upload/

N00N00
27-10-2008, 14:07
well it's on El Reg now

Brilliant :clap::clap:

Hopefully such publicilty will shame Virgin Media into actually telling the truth.

Richy99
27-10-2008, 14:10
its been this way since the ntl/telewest merge and only now its been picked up on?

Turkey Machine
27-10-2008, 14:56
That's a brilliant article. Hopefully more publicity in the right places will help. I know of a couple forums that'll be interested in this. Regular "Diggs" would help too! :D

popper
27-10-2008, 17:30
its been this way since the ntl/telewest merge and only now its been picked up on?

its been mentioned here before but nothing got done, and i havent seen anything since the re-brand when these things should have been corrected, its only an updated config file that needs writing and sending after all, but they will change the website rather than write that config.:sleep:

Gary L
27-10-2008, 19:12
well it's on El Reg now

Blimey. that was quick :)

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

its been mentioned here before but nothing got done, and i havent seen anything since the re-brand when these things should have been corrected, its only an updated config file that needs writing and sending after all, but they will change the website rather than write that config.:sleep:

They will change the website. it's cheaper.

Turkey Machine
27-10-2008, 19:16
Quote from that article (surprising what they can do when the media catch on):

Update

Virgin Media returned with this statement:

Since merger we have made significant progress on integrating and improving our legacy systems. So far we have completed a massive billing centralisation project, launched a new 20Mb service and upgraded customers to higher broadband speeds for free.

Work to align minor differences in speeds across the NTL and Telewest customer bases is ongoing and should be complete very soon, along with further initiatives to reinforce our position as the UK's leading residential broadband service. We apologise for any confusion and will be updating our website accordingly.

Gary L
27-10-2008, 19:27
Quote from that article (surprising what they can do when the media catch on):

Since merger we have made significant progress on integrating and improving our legacy systems. So far we have completed a massive billing centralisation project, launched a new 20Mb service and upgraded customers to higher broadband speeds for free.

and? what has that got to do with you giving a lot of us less upload than we were paying for?

Work to align minor differences in speeds across the NTL and Telewest customer bases is ongoing and should be complete very soon,

You should have said so before, we just thought that it's been that figure since the merger and we thought it was going to stay that way for ever. now you're telling us that it was about to be changed soon anyway. :rolleyes:

along with further initiatives to reinforce our position as the UK's leading residential broadband service.

:sleep::zzz:

We apologise for any confusion and will be updating our website accordingly.

How come you tell us customers things through external sources, but never tell us ourselves? we only find out things that concern us when people like The Register get in touch with you.
is it because you have to talk to other sources, but rather not us direct?

whydoIneedatech
27-10-2008, 20:09
They made an announcement so everyone can find out quicker as not everyone looks on forums

Gary L
27-10-2008, 20:31
They made an announcement so everyone can find out quicker as not everyone looks on forums

Ballcocks.
They haven't made an announcement. they have made a statement. and only as a result of this being found out and questions asked of them.
nobody was looking to find anything from Virgin about the upload discrepancy. they only found out about it because of that piece on The Register. and you say quicker as if they was eager to let everyone know without having to be asked about it in the first place :D

r00t
27-10-2008, 20:36
One way or another there was/is a resolve. Modem config or site update. You can't have it both ways, either way see it as a victory :tu:

Milambar
27-10-2008, 23:57
Work to align minor differences in speeds across the NTL and Telewest customer bases is ongoing and should be complete very soon,
A 21.875% difference isn't exactly trivial. I wonder if they would let me pay 21.875% less...

Either way, they know they've been "rumbled" so I expect the website to change very soon.

Gary L
28-10-2008, 00:04
Either way, they know they've been "rumbled"

That's the truth of it. all this time they have known that one set of customers get 56k less than what they should do. they worked out the limits of STM from the amount of upload that was available on each seperate package. and have the cheek to say that you're uploading too much you are going to be STMd. when all along they knew they wasn't giving you the upload you thought you were paying for.

whydoIneedatech
28-10-2008, 00:52
All you need to do now is wait for this to be aligned and all 3 platforms will have no differences in upload speeds.