PDA

View Full Version : Colour combinations

alferret
24-10-2008, 08:35
Got a wedding to go to tomorrow and being a bloke who dont do suits etc I'm in need of a bit of advice.

I have got grey trousers and black shoe's. What would be an acceptable colour for a shirt & tie that would sit with the trousers and my rugged, handsome features :D

I was thinking of a black pin stripe shirt and matt silver tie but the more I think about it the more I dont want to look like I'm going to a funeral.

TIA

Al

Graham M
24-10-2008, 08:42
Do you have a jacket to match the trousers?

Osem
24-10-2008, 08:45
Pastel shirt & pink silk tie??

The Hitman
24-10-2008, 08:49
Got a wedding to go to tomorrow and being a bloke who dont do suits etc I'm in need of a bit of advice.

I have got grey trousers and black shoe's. What would be an acceptable colour for a shirt & tie that would sit with the trousers and my rugged, handsome features :D

I was thinking of a black pin stripe shirt and matt silver tie but the more I think about it the more I dont want to look like I'm going to a funeral.

TIA

Al

A wedding is a funeral ;)

alferret
24-10-2008, 09:11
Do you have a jacket to match the trousers?

Yes (the one I had for my wedding) but I dont like it so wasnt going to wear it.

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 ----------

Pastel shirt & pink silk tie??

Wont make me look to effeminate will it?

---------- Post added at 09:11 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

A wedding is a funeral ;)

Very true :D
Hope my wife dont read this thread :bsmack:

zing_deleted
24-10-2008, 09:17
Well I may get looked down at now but unless im top table (which has only happened at my own) I wear smart casuals

LondonRoad
24-10-2008, 09:20
Wear a Superman costume. Say you thought it would be fancy dress at this time of year.:)

Graham M
24-10-2008, 09:52
Wear a jacket,a white/blue shirt and a pink tie?

Osem
24-10-2008, 10:01
Wont make me look to effeminate will it?

Dunno - do you have that 'quality'??? .... :D

tweetypie/8
24-10-2008, 11:09

TIA

Al

go with what you feel comfortable in.

alferret
24-10-2008, 11:17
Wear a Superman costume. Say you thought it would be fancy dress at this time of year.:)

Thinking along the lines of rain mac and wellies would be more in line according to tomorrows weather :erm:

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

Dunno - do you have that 'quality'??? .... :D

LOL I hope not, I aint no pretty boy with smooth features, think more along the lines of rough hewn sculpture :p:

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

go with what you feel comfortable in.

Somehow jeans, trainers and a tee shirt wouldnt go down well :D but then I could add a jean jacket (if anyones go one I can borrow) which would make it suit like ;)

Chris
24-10-2008, 11:22
Well, remember this is their wedding, not yours, so wear something you think they will be happy to see on their photos for years to come.

You're going to a wedding, not a night club, so you absolutely should wear a suit if you can, or the jacket that 'goes with' the grey trousers at the very least. Don't even think about not taking the jacket with you, or wearing some sort of casual coat instead. Unless you know that the wedding is planned to be a less than fully formal occasion, you should scrub up as formally as you can. If the groom and the best man have hired morning suits, or anything in any way similar (i.e. they went to Moss Bros rather than their own wardrobes) then you can consider it a formal occasion.

Wear a white shirt, because you can't possibly go wrong with a white shirt, and the smartest tie in your collection. Novelty ties are an absolute no no, if you own any. Plain or subtly patterned is fine.

PeteTheMusicGuy
24-10-2008, 11:33
I'd say a white shirt with that and a smart tie

It also depends if you going to the actual wedding or just the reception. If your going to the wedding a suit is a must.

If not a suit jacket, good jeans a smart shirt and shoes is smart but casual ;)

alferret
24-10-2008, 11:47
Just been through wardrobe and I have 2 trousers to choose from, well 3 if I choose to add black to the list.

First is a fine pin stripe black\medium grey no jacket with that.

Second is a plain medium grey (looks grey\brown tint to me) I have a jacket for that.

Third is a picture comparison both together.

I actually prefer the first. But as I said in the OP I'm a bloke with very little fashion style.

Oh shoes are plain black hush puppies (lace up)

whydoIneedatech
24-10-2008, 11:49
Thinking along the lines of rain mac and wellies would be more in line according to tomorrows weather :erm:

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

LOL I hope not, I aint no pretty boy with smooth features, think more along the lines of rough hewn sculpture :p:

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Somehow jeans, trainers and a tee shirt wouldnt go down well :D but then I could add a jean jacket (if anyones go one I can borrow) which would make it suit like ;)
Here is a suit from Matalan for £30 Clicky (http://www.matalan.co.uk/pages/product-view/001/011/6817/-charcoal-easy-care-plain-suit)

alferret
24-10-2008, 11:52
I'd say a white shirt with that and a smart tie

It also depends if you going to the actual wedding or just the reception. If your going to the wedding a suit is a must.

If not a suit jacket, good jeans a smart shirt and shoes is smart but casual ;)

Going to both Pete. My wife's cousin's wedding.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

Here is a suit from Matalan for £30 Clicky (http://www.matalan.co.uk/pages/product-view/001/011/6817/-charcoal-easy-care-plain-suit)

Funnily enough that's where I got the suit from (pic 2)

whydoIneedatech
24-10-2008, 11:57
Funnily enough that's where I got the suit from (pic 2)
If it does the job for £30 then its worth the money.

You can buy suits that are more than adequate to go to a wedding in from any large Tesco or Asda plus the is more choice in Matalan other than the one I posted.

Chris
24-10-2008, 12:02
You absolutely have to wear the one with the jacket. :)

whydoIneedatech
24-10-2008, 12:06
Probably best to go out to the stores and buy something rather than keep putting it off by posting here, methinks you are trying to avoid that somehow:LOL:

alferret
24-10-2008, 12:11
Well, remember this is their wedding, not yours, so wear something you think they will be happy to see on their photos for years to come.
SNIP!
Wear a white shirt, because you can't possibly go wrong with a white shirt, and the smartest tie in your collection. Novelty ties are an absolute no no, if you own any. Plain or subtly patterned is fine.

Wouldnt even want to try and upstage them Chris.

My collection of ties consist of 1x black, 1x grey check and a scarlet with grey diagonal stripe.

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

Probably best to go out to the stores and buy something rather than keep putting it off by posting here, methinks you are trying to avoid that somehow:LOL:

Reading me like a book mate ;) I wanna walk into the shop, pick up a shirt & tie, pay and walk out in less than a minute. Now that's my kinda shopping :D

Chris
24-10-2008, 12:11
Wouldnt even want to try and upstage them Chris.

My collection of ties consist of 1x black, 1x grey check and a scarlet with grey diagonal stripe.

I wasn't thinking about you upstaging them - just the opposite in fact. It's their special day, they will want everything to look perfect, so you should scrub up as smartly as you possibly can. ;)

alferret
24-10-2008, 12:13
You absolutely have to wear the one with the jacket. :)

Just tried the trousers on for both and the suit trousers fit better so it looks as if pic 2 wins just need to find that shirt n tie.

No wonder I have such a drab wardrobe lol.

whydoIneedatech
24-10-2008, 12:13
Reading me like a book mate ;) I wanna walk into the shop, pick up a shirt & tie, pay and walk out in less than a minute. Now that's my kinda shopping :D
I love clothes shopping with the wife, go into store pick up a shirt walk to till and pay, look of amazement on wifes face as she says " Is that it!"

PeteTheMusicGuy
24-10-2008, 14:56
I love clothes shopping with the wife, go into store pick up a shirt walk to till and pay, look of amazement on wifes face as she says " Is that it!"

Then spend the next 4 hours getting dragged around as she wants to go shopping ;)

alferret
24-10-2008, 16:42
Pale lemon shirt & tie for my sins.

joglynne
24-10-2008, 17:17
Just read your thread and the suit with your new lemon shirt and tie sounds fine. I hope you and your wife have a lovely day. Don't forget to take a clean hanky....for crying damsels. :)