PDA

View Full Version : What Happens On Install Day

ozzy_26
24-10-2008, 00:30
Hi,

Now got my install date for early next month to have 10mb broadband and talk unlimited installed. Just a few question on what happens on install day.

1. Will everything be up and running that day after engineer leaves broadband and phone?
2. Will they set up my free wireless router or do i have to do this myself?
3. As i am porting my existing telephone number does the engineer sort this out on the day so i will have no outage on my landline.

Thanks

moaningmags
24-10-2008, 00:39
Hi ozzy,

1. Everything should be up and running when the engineer leaves.
2. You'll have to set up the router yourself.
3. I don't know the answer to this one.

Hope it goes well.

frogstamper
24-10-2008, 00:57
When I ported my number BT number to Virgin, it was up and running before he left.
All he done when he'd installed it was ring up someone and register the line, it took about 20mins total.
One thing though there are a very few engineers who might try and hook your new line up to the existing BT connection, as this saves a lot of work on their part, don't let him its illegal. Before he starts say you want your VM connection put next to your old BT connection, or wherever else you want it, he'll then know you know what your talking about. As I said though its not very likely, BB and telephone should be done within the hour, don't forget to let us know how it went.:)

ozzy_26
24-10-2008, 13:50
Cheers for your reply's as very helpful.

I'll make sure the engineer installs the VM socket next to the BT master as i want to re-terminate my BT extensions into the VM socket or maybe if i supply enough tea and biscuits the VM engineer will do it for me ;)

Hopefully my number porting will be as straight forward as yours frogstamper and all will be up and running when engineer leaves.

If i have to set up my free wireless router is this straight forward and pre configured like the BT home hub etc just plug in and pretty much connect cables etc and you are up and running?

Thanks all for your help and i'll post again once my install is done to let you all know how it went.

chickendippers
24-10-2008, 14:34
It's very straight forward if you follow the instructions. It even comes with a CD that will guide you through if you like.