PDA

View Full Version : Downstream channel 189????

vmuser027
23-10-2008, 20:22
Is this weird or is it just me?

I'm sure its never been that high before?

http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=modemyx6.jpg

Thanks

moaningmags
23-10-2008, 20:26
I've never seen it any higher than 6.
I'd call in to tech support if I was you and if they try to fob you off, ask them to escalate to 2nd line.

Ignitionnet
23-10-2008, 21:10
Channel ID is an arbitrary number, if it's not affecting your service really what does it matter what the ID is? So long as all is good it doesn't matter, it's purely cosmetic.

moaningmags
23-10-2008, 21:26
Channel ID is an arbitrary number, if it's not affecting your service really what does it matter what the ID is? So long as all is good it doesn't matter, it's purely cosmetic.

Given that we used to be able to change the channel ID if the customer was having issues, then I'd says it'd not purely cosmetic.
I've changed this for a customer in the past and seen his download speeds increase dramatically.

whydoIneedatech
23-10-2008, 22:55
As Mags says get it checked as that is something I have not come across and could cause some kind of issue, and do let let them fob you off either.

Ignitionnet
24-10-2008, 12:00
I'll repeat, the channel number is cosmetic, it's just a setting with nothing interesting about it that indicates that the downstream on 339MHz is channel 189. I think you are referring to channel IDs on upstream which do have relevance as they are specified in the MAP that's sent. If you'd changed a customer's downstream channel ID you'd have disconnected them.

It's a second downstream on 339MHz that happens to have an ID of 189 as that's what VM decided the ID was.

Channel downstream can be anything from 1 to 255, and it doesn't matter what VM set so long as it's unique on that CMTS.

No fault here, it's no more worth reporting to VM than the fact the downstream frequency is 339MHz.

EDIT: It could be high because you're on a Cisco 10k chassis, the 189 could indicate which physical slot you're on, it could be a node ID, etc, etc. It's just a label that also means customers can be connected to it via the ID rather than having to specify the full frequency.

whydoIneedatech
24-10-2008, 12:02
I'll repeat, the channel number is cosmetic, it's just a setting with nothing interesting about it that indicates that the downstream on 339MHz is channel 189. I think you are referring to channel IDs on upstream which do have relevance as they are specified in the MAP that's sent. If you'd changed a customer's downstream channel ID you'd have disconnected them.

It's a second downstream on 339MHz that happens to have an ID of 189 as that's what VM decided the ID was.

Channel downstream can be anything from 1 to 255, and it doesn't matter what VM set so long as it's unique on that CMTS.

No fault here, it's no more worth reporting to VM than the fact the downstream frequency is 339MHz.
OK that seems clear enough.;)

popper
24-10-2008, 12:20

EDIT: It could be high because you're on a Cisco 10k chassis, the 189 could indicate which physical slot you're on, it could be a node ID, etc, etc. It's just a label that also means customers can be connected to it via the ID rather than having to specify the full frequency.

i dont like labels, but i dont want to be just a No. eather :angel:

one thing that does seem interesting though and likely as you say, it looks like they (being 20Mbit) have been migrated to the new Cisco 10k chassis already, i wonder if the 1.5 Mbit (so as to be clear its the upload for the new *50Mbit package ;) ) package/cards are installed and ready for the new service on his UBR.

does this "channel 189" give us any clues to whats to come! and the reasons they chose that label/No.

*Virgin Media Docsis3 50Mbit package, 7 times slower upload than your Comcast US cable package, get it today ;) :angel:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33631817-50mbit-rollout-has-started-page-36.html#post34657676

vmuser027
24-10-2008, 13:01
i dont like labels, but i dont want to be just a No. eather :angel:

one thing that does seem interesting though and likely as you say, it looks like they (being 20Mbit) have been migrated to the new Cisco 10k chassis already, i wonder if the 1.5 Mbit (so as to be clear its the upload for the new *50Mbit package ;) ) package/cards are installed and ready for the new service on his UBR.

does this "channel 189" give us any clues to whats to come! and the reasons they chose that label/No.

*Virgin Media Docsis3 50Mbit package, 7 times slower upload than your Comcast US cable package, get it today ;) :angel:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33631817-50mbit-rollout-has-started-page-36.html#post34657676

Now that is interesting. I am in Dudley and signed up for the 50Meg 'soft launch' at the weekend. I noticed the change of downstream channel yesterday afternoon and my UBR has also changed from ubr03.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk to ubr10.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk.

Funny how the closing date for applications to the launch was Tuesday and all this happened the day after?